3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How do you determine if you have a bad injector/s

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The injector kill test did not show any problem on mine. It seemed that the injector was working, at least within an exceptable range while the truck was running. It just leaked when the truck was off. That is one reason it took two days to make a correct diagnosis. The real indication of the leaking injector was just letting it sit for 6+ hours and then start it normally. In my case truck sat at the dealer overnight, the Service Manager and Diesel Tech both looked at the smoke, listened to the rough idle and then called Star back and told them there was a problem with the truck.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RamWheels
How did the dealer/tech determine it was injector #6?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:41 PM

SBishop,

Star instructed the dealer tech to remove the exhaust manifold. Let the truck sit for 6-8 hours. Start the truck. Cylinder(s) that have white smoke would identify the leaking injector(s). Thats what they did. Smoke only coming out of cylinder #6. Replaced #6 injector per Star instructions and re-installed exhaust manifold.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 AM

RamWheels
Thanks for the diagnostic technique that was used. Very helpful.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 AM

How much white smoke were you getting at startup? I mean was it a thin whitish gray haze, or was it like a thick white cumulous cloud?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:39 AM

one thing i will say is this. A bad injector maybe for any number of reasons. with the scan tool the dealers have they can only diagnose certain faults with it. Those are only if the mechanic knows how to use the tool properly most of the time it is well with in spec. but that is because the tech olny knows what the tool is telling him and not that it is leaking after, or it has a poor spray pattern. They use to do leak down tests on injectors where they actually bench tetsed them. their you would see all kinds of faults, from drippy injectors to wrong spray patterns etc. the bottom line is try to find a competant mechanic who knows how to do real mechanics and not just technician work. their is a difference, whether we liek to admitt it or not. Glad to hear you are making some head way with your truck.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:07 AM

thejeepdude

"How much white smoke were you getting at startup? I mean was it a thin whitish gray haze, or was it like a thick white cumulous cloud"?

I was getting a white cumulous cloud, I decided to try some "DELO" injector cleaner before I take the truck in to the dealer AGAIN! I poured the bottle in yesterday afternoon drove it around for a few mile as to mix the solution and let it sit over night. Started it up this morning and it seems to have cured the problem, I noticed the normal light greyish smoke this morning.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:51 AM

On mine the white smoke and rough idle started with a very noticable cloud for about 30 seconds. The length and amount of smoke got worse over time to about 1 1/2 minutes of heavy white smoke and very rough idle. After the smoke stoped the truck would idle and run fine with no abnormal smoke.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 PM

27,600, no injector problems yet. About 70% of my driving is with a trailer on back, and that trailer is usually loaded.

If I'm piddling around town for a few days without doing any towing, the truck won't run as well. Then I do an Italian tune-up (floor it up to redline in a few gears), repeat, and viola, truck runs better. I imagine if I didn't do the towing that I do, this truck would be unhappy.

I also run PowerService on a regular basis, although not all the time. I'm going to try the MMO and see if I notice any difference with that.

STAR is right. Work the truck. That's what it was built for. If 20% or less of your driving is towing, don't get a Cummins. I have talked to Duramax owners (their fuel system is pretty much an 8-cylinder version of ours and as such as similar problems) and they have reported similar findings. Work the truck and it'll work for you. For the first two months of ownership, I did hardly any towing, and I was honestly considering trading in my truck on a Crown Vic or equivalent because I wasn't using it. Good thing I didn't, because my truck has hardly been without a trailer since, and it's HAPPY!

Working your truck is also better for your mileage... I made a run down to Dallas and back a few weeks ago. I was getting 17.5 mpg going 75 mph while towing a 4600 lb car on the return trip.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Hey Stroke, you just described my truck perfectly. At little white smoke at start up when the temps are below 50; and a little rough idle for about 5 seconds or so. Then she smooths out and no more smoke. I think this is normal because I get very good mileage and the truck has gobs of power. My '99 used to give a few puffs of white smoke when you started her up also. My truck also idles so quiet that I can order food through the drive up windows.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by RamWheelsBy4
SBishop,

Star instructed the dealer tech to remove the exhaust manifold. Let the truck sit for 6-8 hours. Start the truck. Cylinder(s) that have white smoke would identify the leaking injector(s). Thats what they did. Smoke only coming out of cylinder #6. Replaced #6 injector per Star instructions and re-installed exhaust manifold.

Man that musta been loud. I suppose you do that diagnostic with ear protection.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:13 PM

Ram Wheels, what dealer in Houston do you use? I'm also in the Houston area.