3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How do you determine if you have a bad injector/s

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you determine if you have a bad injector/s

Fella's
I often read many of these post about problems people are having with injectors, but they never really describe their problem I usually see" Had bad injectors replaced" but no description of details to what the signs were. Those of you who have had injectors replaced, please explain to those of us who are wondering what to look for if "we' feel our ride may have an injector problem. Any bit of information is helpful.
Thanks for looking out.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go out, put your foot on the break real hard and then gently accelerate. If you start to hear a rattle of such intermiitanly then you most likly have a bad injector. ensure that you have a clear path in front of you incase your foot slips off the brake pedel. if you want to narrow it down evewn further get a stethesscope and hold it up to each injecter while running. have some one else axcellerate the pedal untill you hear the rattle or ticking. this will naroow it done to the exact injector. if one doesnt sound liek the others then bingo that one has a problem. some old school diagnosing here. good luck.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:44 PM

Thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by 03 ant a hemi
have some one else axcellerate the pedal untill you hear the rattle or ticking.
I would set the parking brake for this one just in case......
Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Not so much a bad injector as so much dirty injector!
Those holes are so small your eyes could not see the differents to my high hp onesas they are something you could not tell the difference on so when they get carbon over you get a Knock or lope out of them most of time at idle when you notice it but when you get on it there no problem with profermance. if injector was bad it would down that piston.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Administrator

If an injector or two sticks open you'll see your oil level increasing, getting thinner and smelling of Diesel fuel.

The unatomized liquid fuel leaks down past the pistons into the crankase where it mixes with the oil.

phox
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 PM

There is no good way.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:14 PM

The reason I ask is because for the past few mornings, I have had excessive white smoke at start up. Outside temps are in the mid 50's or so, nothing unusual for the PacNorWest. I had the "ECM Flash/white smoke" TSB done (Dec 04). So, I'm starting to wonder if I am having an injector problem. But, being unsure of what to look for is why I asked the "How do you determine" question. I can't say it's a bad tank of fuel because it started a couple days ago. Sorta searching for possible answers before I take it back to the dealer. Or maybe it's just my imagination.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Search this, TDR, DTW and you should find a number of threads, some I started and posted on.

My 04.5 600 started having a lot of acrid white/bluish smoke on cold start up after about 7,500 miles. It did not do this before that. It would also idle a little rough until the smoke stop. This was 30 - 45 seconds at first. This is in Houston where there is no winter. This only happened after the truck had sit for at least 7-8 hours. The smoke got worse and longer, the idle seemed worse and some times acted like it really did not want to start.

I finally took it to the dealer. After a couple of days of tests, overnight cold startup done by service manager to verify the symptons and numerous dealer Star conversations, mine was diagnosed with #6 injector leaking after shutdown.

They replaced #6 injector and the smoke and rough idle on cold startup went away. I am at 23,000 miles now and no problems since.

I have seen a number of posts that people have had a hard time getting the dealer/Star to really diagnose the problem. My dealer made mine as simple as possible I think. Still took three days from start to injector replaced.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RamWheels,

You described my symptoms exactly. Mine actually seems to be a little better recently after running some "Power Service" through a couple of tanks of fuel.

I am just going to monitor it for a while and see what it does. I hope to eventually replace the injectors anyway with some "Don M's".
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM

TexasCTD,

I hear ya, performance injectors are in my plans also. I have been running Power Service and MMO mix for about 4000 miles now. I dont know if it has anything to do with it, but my truck is running great now. Maybe at 23,000 it is just broken in good, but mileage is up almost 2mpg and that is with the HOT Juice on 80hp mode all the time. Engine is quieter, smoother and just feels right.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:07 PM

How to tell? Get a load in the bed or tow something. Since your in Washington head for the mountains. Drive up some of the passes which are around 6-8% grades and you will know what this engine can do stock. Putting around town empty week after week is not what this motor likes.........work it........get it hot and power up some grades. Stock injectors are good to 500 hp.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 PM

i have a white smoke symptom. when sitting overnight in 30-40 degree weather ill start it. it fires right up but for about 3-5 seconds it will rough idle with a little white smoke. it stops and idles perfectly after that. truck runs great as well. i like to run it hard sometimes
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by 03 ant a hemi
go out, put your foot on the break real hard and then gently accelerate. If you start to hear a rattle of such intermiitanly then you most likly have a bad injector. ensure that you have a clear path in front of you incase your foot slips off the brake pedel. if you want to narrow it down evewn further get a stethesscope and hold it up to each injecter while running. have some one else axcellerate the pedal untill you hear the rattle or ticking. this will naroow it done to the exact injector. if one doesnt sound liek the others then bingo that one has a problem. some old school diagnosing here. good luck.
Sounds like someone is looking for an excuse to power brake a good burnout
Old 05-18-2005, 12:15 PM

Dealer can run an injector kill test with the DRBIII. Test allows you to turn off each injector individually and listen for RPM drop. No drop in RPM=Bad injector.

Quick Reply: How do you determine if you have a bad injector/s