3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

how do you bleed the air out of the fuel system on a 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you bleed the air out of the fuel system on a 3rd gen

ok we just posted on the help section, but no response yet. we changed out the fuel filter on my buds 04 dodge. i busted number 4 injector loose on the block and nothing when he'd bump the starter. ive never bleed the air out of a 3rd gen, it has to be similar to my 02 24valve? any hepl here?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn key on and off like 4-5 times bumping starter each time letting the pump run. The bleed the air out automaticly.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDave12768
There not like the 2nd's Turn key on and off like 4-5 times each time letting the pump run. The bleed the air out automatically.
This ^^^^

You can also bump the engine. Turn key to just bump the engine over but NOT cranking it. This will keep the pump running longer.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM

hahah we did that. bumped the starter 4 times. doesnt sound like the lift pump is pumping good.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never ever open a fuel line on a common rail, line pressure is way to high to safely do that. As previously stated cycle the key several times to cycle the lift pump, it will self bleed the air.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HPCR systems are self bleeding past the fuel filter. They will auto bleed any air if LP is providing enough pressure and flow to get the fuel to the CP3 inlet.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 PM

Man you really hosed that up. Next time open the owners manual, the procedure is in there on how to change the fuel filter.
Now to fix your problem, bump the starter about once and listen for the lift pump to run about 30 seconds. I forgot to mention, did you close the fuel water separator dump valve on the filter housing first? You may have to bump the starter about 4 times, of course wait until the fuel pump stops running between bumping it. NOw along as you have properly connected the #4 injector properly back up there shoud be enough pressure there to start the engine.
As a wise man once told me, when in doubt read the FREAKIN manual. If there isn't one then ask someone else that might know. If you still can;t get help then take it someone that does know and watch them before trying it yourself.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 AM

well that was my first time to work on a common rail. it is my friends truck and he took out the owners manual out of it two days ago. i didnt even think about the pressure from the fuel rail being an issue. shouldve know that. but anyhoo, we closed the fuel/water drain valve below the filter 1st, than we bumped the starter 6 times and nothing. thats why i broke the injector loose since i was used to doin it on my 02. there seems to be a vacuum pump on next to the fire wall on the passenger side that runs the cruise control? hes havin problems with the cruise and that pump was loud as all get out. thats why we couldnt hear if the lift pump was goin out. the lift pump is not comin on at all after we bumped the starter. he found a price on a stock replacement for like $270 at napa. hes a corporal in the marine corps and is goin through a divorce so money is extremely tight. i tried to steer him in the direction of gettin an air dog or something of that equivilant but we'll have to wait till payday to do anything.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the lift pump mounted on the fuel filter cannister? If so,Genos carries a direct replacement for the cannister mounted pump that is cost effective. I have attached a link for your review. This would be the easiest to install as it is a one for one replacement.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....UMP_FPD4089602
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM

silly me. dont know why i didnt think of genos. thats right up the price alley and theyve always treated me right. thanks for that reminder. and that would work perfectly for what he has.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

If he is willing to spend the money on an AD, he can save some buks and not have to swap out as much junk by getting a Raptor. They cost less, and they do not require a return line. Rated for 16,000 hours. GDP sells them. Pair that with the Liberty canister mod for another 100 bucks an your set. Last LP you will ever need.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 AM

Tell hom to spend the extra money and buy a good LP. I got a Diesel Perfomace Max Flow setup. http://dieselperformance.com/ It also has the availability to allow me to increase the pressure by changeing the spring. I am adding a second fuel filter to the system because I run 100% Homemade BioDiesel in my truck. That sorry LP that Dc put on would not keep up with the mods I have.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 AM

Just put a LP on from Dr. Performance runs the pressure right at 15 psi, no more falling the face!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as the vaccum pump making alot of noise. He has a vaccum leak somewhere between the pump and cruise control dashpot. Get that fixed and he should be good. Just follow the plastic line, they can get holes in them due to rubbing issues.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM

spooler, whats the best way to plug a leak on a vaccum line? can you just put some jb weld on it or something like that on it? and my bud just cant afford to get a better pump right now for his truck. his truck is basically stock, just straight pipe, afe filter and cold air tube, and one of those carbon fiber air intake horns. i know that i am currently saving up for an airdog with the remote filters. id like to remove the whole stock filter set up eventually.

Quick Reply: how do you bleed the air out of the fuel system on a 3rd gen