3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Homemade crankcase vent idea. Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade crankcase vent idea. Will this work?

I'm tired of smelling the fumes from my crankcase vent. I already hooked a hose to it and ran it out to the back of the truck but what I am now thinking is about getting some brass fittings and drilling a hole in my tailpipe, putting an elbow facing the rear of the truck INSIDE the tailpipe, and then connecting the hose to the nipple that would be on the outside. I guess my question is, by putting the elbow facing the rear would this not create a vacuum to suck the fumes and smoke from the vent tube? My plan also includes NOT having the hose shoved up inside the vent tube anymore but instead I was going to cut it so it just meets the vent tube but with a little breathing room. If there truly is a good vacuum created then it would likely suck 95% of the fumes and smoke up(my estimation). Anyone have a theory on this?

And my rings are fine so please don't tell me to get a bunch of tests done. It's just a little blowby that you can only see at night but it smells (Rosmella) all the time...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm here in the cryogenic north and you would think the rotella stinky would only be a summer issue but I can smell it even in winter. I have to replace exhaust when the air turns warmer and come spring I'm going to try your idea also. But with one alteration, with the exhaust system on the bench I think I'm going to weld a boss on it and make a direct connection. Do you think it should be before or after the muffler ? Thanks 'zilla, you inspired me...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 AM

IT works on race car engines, i dont see why it wouldnt work here. I personally would weld about a 6" section of tube into the exhaust at about a 45 deg angle. if you connect the rubber hose close to the exhaust it will melt. Been there and done that.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It works on race cars only because of the high rpm's and the high gas flow through the exhaust. It does not work on street cars that run at moderate rpm's and low gas flows. It's generally used on drag cars that run at max rpm's for short periods.

If you do this, it will only pressurize the crank gas with exhaust gasses.

There's no reason you can't run a hose to the back of the truck, though.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodgezilla, how about switching oil brands already? I know you've fought with that blowby tube for a while now. I'm a Rotella fan but I switched off of it this last oil change to see if there would be a difference - there was - huge difference.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is my personal experience with running a hose towards the back of the truck. It was on my 04. I ran a length of about 3 ft to start, still could smell the oil. Went to 5 ft. Up here where it is bitter cold, the hose clogged and I had engine issues...I had no idea why my truck was stumbling and could barely idle until I looked under the truck and saw the Icicle from the hose. I broke off the ice and it still ran like crap. I then took the hose off and all returned to normal. A friend did the hose to the exhaust post muffler. After he did a run of about 1500 miles on that truck he checked the oil. He was down a liter. He did not leave the exhaust hose intact after that and never lost oil again. I am not saying that the hose to the exhaust was the problem, just what he told me.
Changing oil 'could' correct the problem to a degree.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM

I don't always run the Rosmella. I just had to this time and I decided to use the synthetic stuff so it will be a while before I change it again.
I've read about the tube getting clogged for others who tried doing something similar and that's why I was not going to have the hose directly connected to the vent hose on the engine. I was going to leave a little gap between them so there would be no way for it to clog. If it was possible to get a good vacuum going then, even with the gap there, it should still suck up most of the fumes coming out of the tube. (That's my theory anyways)
I definitely do NOT want a sealed connection where it could suck oil out of the engine.
And just FYI, I have been running this hose all the way to the back of my truck since early last year and with ZERO problems. I even hooked up some compressed air to the front side and blew it out and nothing came out the back end at all. I DO have slits cut at every low point of the hose so oil accumulation would drain. It does fine like this but I would just rather have it blowing further out the exhaust then just slowly bellowing out the end of the hose.....

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM

I have a spare tailpipe that I cut on before and I think that's gonna be my prototype unit. I don't think the hose is gonna melt since it will be connected so far back. We'll see though....
Old 01-29-2011, 04:07 PM

That idea works on aeroplane piston engines and they only turn about 2400 in cruise.