3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Holley Blue vs Holley Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus
Ahh....this is where this idea is now an issue for me. I hunt and fish in remote locations. It sometimes is a 3-4 hr drive just to get back to pavement and another hour or more to the nearest town / city.

This is what worries me about a FASS or Airdog with those filters hanging so low.
Yeah, that's understandable. I carry a piece of the stock metal line that was cut out when the Holley was installed. If the Holley dies I can always just bypass it with the piece of metal line.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Festus
Ahh....this is where this idea is now an issue for me. I hunt and fish in remote locations. It sometimes is a 3-4 hr drive just to get back to pavement and another hour or more to the nearest town / city.

And yes, although the truck looks very shiny in my gallery, it's only a street queen when on the street, you couldn't tell what color it was this last spring when returning from a couple bear hunting trips.

This is what worries me about a FASS or Airdog with those filters hanging so low.
the Airdog can be mounted high on the frame rail to where NOTHING hangs down lower then the rails.......plus it will bypass the AD pump and allow the cp3 to suck fuel until you can fix the AD..and if your real worried buy a cheap pump of your choice and plumb in a couple fittings after the AD and just undo the fittings install cheap pump and away you go.....
My .02
Old 12-31-2007, 08:44 PM

Just got my Edge Juice w/Attitude installed a couple weeks ago. FP is 7-8 at idle and as low as 0 on acceleration, not necessarily WOT. Just got a brand new Holley Black on the evil auction site for $130 shipped, so hopefully that will solve my problems. Thanks for all the helpful knowledge you guys provide.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jconaway
Just got my Edge Juice w/Attitude installed a couple weeks ago. FP is 7-8 at idle and as low as 0 on acceleration, not necessarily WOT. Just got a brand new Holley Black on the evil auction site for $130 shipped, so hopefully that will solve my problems. Thanks for all the helpful knowledge you guys provide.
Nice! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM

Okay, finally got around to buying a Holley pump. Actually, it's a Wysco pump and looks like a clone of the Holley Blue. Specs seem to be identical. Want to get this installed soon and have a couple questions:

1. What size fuel hose do I need? 3/8"?

2. Is the Parker hose from Vulcan a good one to use?

3. What do I use to cut the factory steel line?

4. Finally, should I go with a 30-amp relay, or is 20-amp enough?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:59 PM

I'm curious as to where you guys are mounting them, my fuel lines are almost completely hidden or above cross members. Anyone have a pice with more of the undercarraige that I can see?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

I plan on mounting mine on the inside of the driver side frame rail just forward of the fuel tank.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Okay, finally got around to buying a Holley pump. Actually, it's a Wysco pump and looks like a clone of the Holley Blue. Specs seem to be identical. Want to get this installed soon and have a couple questions:

1. What size fuel hose do I need? 3/8"?

2. Is the Parker hose from Vulcan a good one to use?

3. What do I use to cut the factory steel line?

4. Finally, should I go with a 30-amp relay, or is 20-amp enough?

Thanks!
1. Sorry I don't remember. It is a common size like 3/8" though.

2. Parker makes good quality hoses, so that should work well.

3. A small tubing cutter. It has 2 thin wheels and a screw mechanism. You have to pull the line far enough away from the frame for the cutter to be able to rotate around the tubing. You rotate it around a few times, then tighten the screw a little, then rotate it around some more. It takes a few minutes and you don't want to rush it because when done correctly it leaves a really nice slightly-tapered edge that isn't sharp at all.

4. I think the Holley only draws like 3-5 amps, but you can't hurt anything by going overkill on the relay. A 15 amp relay will be more than enough though.

Originally Posted by BMH95
I'm curious as to where you guys are mounting them, my fuel lines are almost completely hidden or above cross members. Anyone have a pice with more of the undercarraige that I can see?
Not sure if you saw it or not, but a pic of mine is in post #80 on page 6 of this thread.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
1. Sorry I don't remember. It is a common size like 3/8" though.

2. Parker makes good quality hoses, so that should work well.

3. A small tubing cutter. It has 2 thin wheels and a screw mechanism. You have to pull the line far enough away from the frame for the cutter to be able to rotate around the tubing. You rotate it around a few times, then tighten the screw a little, then rotate it around some more. It takes a few minutes and you don't want to rush it because when done correctly it leaves a really nice slightly-tapered edge that isn't sharp at all.

4. I think the Holley only draws like 3-5 amps, but you can't hurt anything by going overkill on the relay. A 15 amp relay will be more than enough though.

jrussell,

Thanks for the reply. I did a little more digging and found the pump only draws 3 amps. Holley recommends 14 ga wire and a 15 amp fuse, so a 20-amp relay will be fine.

Anyway, looks like a trip to the Hoseman for some hose and fittings is in order. Doing my best to get this in this weekend.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I have the need for a full time helper pump, certainly not a FASS or anything like that since the truck will remain basically stock, fueling-wise. But I do like the idea of a backup for the in-tank pump and feel the need to hold up pressure under hard acceleration or towing. So what I'm going to do is plumb a pump inline with a low pressure sensing switch to trigger a time delay relay energizig the pump when the pressure on the downstream side drops below a certain psi.

I figure, why run it all the time if you don't need it?