3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Holley Blue vs Holley Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus
Drummed up an old thread....

jrussell,

Are you still running this set-up? What pressure are you seeing on your gauge? I'm assuming you spliced into the line between the OEM in tank pump and the OEM filter canister -- correct? Relay trigged by the OEM in tank pump harness? How much pressure can the OEM system handle before seals start leaking?
Hey Festus. Yeah, still running the same setup with the original pump. It sees 24-25psi at idle, about 20psi cruising, and about 14-16psi at WOT. Yes on the splice location and yes on the relay triggered by the OEM pump. Pressures up to 30psi seem to do fine. I think the stock plastic filter canister lid can pop off if you run over 30psi. Mine doesn't leak/seep anywhere in the system (except for the CP3 itself of course ).
Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
.............. Mine doesn't leak/seep anywhere in the system (except for the CP3 itself of course ).
Whoa! Explain that one. And that's a Holley black you're running?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Whoa! Explain that one. And that's a Holley black you're running?
My CP3 has some signs of seepage around the joint on the top part. Never seen any wet fuel there, but you can tell it's seeping out a little. I've heard of others with the same problem...sometimes enough to actually drip on the ground. Seems to be more common during the winter time. Not sure if it's related to the winter fuel or just the colder temps?

I'm running a Holley Blue.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM

My CP3 has some signs of seepage around the joint on the top part. Never seen any wet fuel there, but you can tell it's seeping out a little. I've heard of others with the same problem...sometimes enough to actually drip on the ground. Seems to be more common during the winter time. Not sure if it's related to the winter fuel or just the colder temps?

I'm running a Holley Blue.
Could it be from the higher pressures from the helper pump or was this an existing issue?

Btw, I was just looking them up. Max pressure is now set to 14 psi.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JRussel said it best on page 3. If you run a Holley Red, Blue, or Black without a bypass regulator, you are dead heading that pump. Those pumps don't like that. I went thru half a dozen Blues and Reds on a Chevelle I once owned UNTIL I installed a bypass reg and sent the fuel back to the tank. Now if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well install a better pump. The Walbro 392 is one stout pump. That in conjunction with my Aeromotive universal bypass regulator and I have 20psi ALWAYS.... I don't understand why you'd want to put a Carter or Holley carb pump on our trucks. Those pumps were designed 50 years ago. They were great in their time, but there's alot better stuff out there now for the same price. I paid $109 for my Walbro on Ebay from a high perf dealer, can't remember the name, but they dealt with Mustangs and TurboBuicks. JMHO...
Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Banned

Could it be from the higher pressures from the helper pump or was this an existing issue?

Btw, I was just looking them up. Max pressure is now set to 14 psi.
It was an existing issue.

14psi? Is that what they spec as the max psi for a Blue?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:56 AM

It was an existing issue.

14psi? Is that what they spec as the max psi for a Blue?

Yep, was on the Holley website last night. They stated that they're now pre-set to a max. 14 psi output. Maybe this has changed recently. They due recommend a pressure regulator as well though.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

Yep, was on the Holley website last night. They stated that they're now pre-set to a max. 14 psi output. Maybe this has changed recently. They due recommend a pressure regulator as well though.
I think I remember reading something about 14psi on the box/paper work that came with mine. Mine also came with a separate regulator but there's no need to use it on our application since the pump maxes out at 14psi. I think the regulator only needs to be used in a carb'd application. It's my assumption that 14psi is just the highest pressure the pump will normally push on it's own. I don't believe it has a true internal regulator because mine is seeing much higher pressures after the Holley. The lowest I've seen at WOT just happens to be 14psi though. That would make sense that at WOT the 14psi is coming from the Holley being maxed out without any help from the in-tank pump (the stocker would pull down to 0psi at WOT before the Holley).
Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Holley Blue is maxed at 14, red at 7. Been that way since I got my hands dirty some 25 years ago.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM

This may be a really dumb question, but do we have return fuel lines on our trucks? I've never crawled under to look really close. I know from my OTR days any used fuel went back to the tanks on the OTR trucks.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Yes we do...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't use the stock return line for anything else than what it's being use for though.... I ran a seperate return line and tapped into the fuel filler line to get it back into the tank.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 AM

I think I remember reading something about 14psi on the box/paper work that came with mine. Mine also came with a separate regulator but there's no need to use it on our application since the pump maxes out at 14psi. I think the regulator only needs to be used in a carb'd application. It's my assumption that 14psi is just the highest pressure the pump will normally push on it's own. I don't believe it has a true internal regulator because mine is seeing much higher pressures after the Holley. The lowest I've seen at WOT just happens to be 14psi though. That would make sense that at WOT the 14psi is coming from the Holley being maxed out without any help from the in-tank pump (the stocker would pull down to 0psi at WOT before the Holley).
So, you are running the Holley as a true helper, not separate? The OEM pump "feeds" the Holley?

Sorry, for all the questions. I just need to get my head wrapped around what's going on with the engineering here. All my experience is with OTR trucks.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

So, you are running the Holley as a true helper, not separate? The OEM pump "feeds" the Holley?

Sorry, for all the questions. I just need to get my head wrapped around what's going on with the engineering here. All my experience is with OTR trucks.
Yes, I'm running both the Holley and stock in-tank pump. They seem to work pretty well together. The only downside is that the Holley isn't expected to live too long. Mine's been going for almost 6 months and about 14k miles....guess we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM

Ahh....this is where this idea is now an issue for me. I hunt and fish in remote locations. It sometimes is a 3-4 hr drive just to get back to pavement and another hour or more to the nearest town / city.

And yes, although the truck looks very shiny in my gallery, it's only a street queen when on the street, you couldn't tell what color it was this last spring when returning from a couple bear hunting trips.

This is what worries me about a FASS or Airdog with those filters hanging so low.

Quick Reply: Holley Blue vs Holley Black