3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Holley Blue vs Holley Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Will do. Thanks for the "heads up".

Let us know how it worked out, pictures are cool. Good Luck.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stock600
Just dont forget to remove the screen, give the pump a fair shake, or youll be bashing them like o lot of others in a month or so. They just cant hardly pull this thick diesel through such tiny screen, youll see what i meen when you remove it. Good Luck Guys!!
That shouldn't be a problem on his '06 with the in-tank pump. The in-tank pump supplies the Holley with about 9psi so it's not having to pull through the screen like it would with the older design.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
That shouldn't be a problem on his '06 with the in-tank pump. The in-tank pump supplies the Holley with about 9psi so it's not having to pull through the screen like it would with the older design.

jrussell,

Did you just cut the steel lines and plumb the Holley pump in between? Did you flare the ends of the lines and use compression fittings? Or just slip a piece of hose over the end with hose clamps?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Mine to has the retro in tank pump, i run both together. Remove it anyway you dont for any reason want a restriction at the inlet of any pump. The screen is super, super fine. Install it reg and record a amp. draw, then remove the screen and do it again this will prove it to you. In my opinion with the screen in place the pumps always simi-cavitating and sounds as if its surging, this is simply due to the diesel is so thick, ive never noticed them making that noise moving gas or methanol. JMO
Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
jrussell,

Did you just cut the steel lines and plumb the Holley pump in between? Did you flare the ends of the lines and use compression fittings? Or just slip a piece of hose over the end with hose clamps?
Just cut and slipped the hose over. A flair or compression fitting isn't needed with the relatively low pressures involved. I did use the fuel injection type clamps at each end because they work much better. Mines never leaked or seeped at all...

Old 12-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Cool.....thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:39 PM

I run double black pumps and a stock bypass adapter

Here's my setup. I run 2-Black pumps (don't mind the blue pump brackets, it's all I had) and then I took off the stock lift pump and made this hot little plate (laser cut) and TIG welded the plumbing you see here. With the black pumps, especially in series, they can stand up to the "thicker" viscosity fuel. The blue pumps, if used alone in a single pump application, I've found to be a little under motored. They don't last long in the colder regions from what I've been able to find out. The double blacks are stronger and disapate heat quicker so they last longer since two pumps are "helping" each other.

I have about 3 or 4 plates left from the laser cutter if anyone wants to buy the sleeve, the laser cut plate, and the 1/2" stainless tube which you can just TIG weld up yourself for $40.00

If I get enough people that want one, I'll go cut some more plates and sleeves and make them available.
PM me if want the parts or just some of the parts to make your own.

dennis
Attached Thumbnails Holley Blue vs Holley Black-101_0849.jpg   Holley Blue vs Holley Black-fuel-pumps-5.jpg   Holley Blue vs Holley Black-fuel-pumps-installed-002.jpg   Holley Blue vs Holley Black-101_0848.jpg   Holley Blue vs Holley Black-101_0851.jpg  

Last edited by cdennyb; 12-14-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added another pic of plate
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM

funny how those blacks say blue on them?? 2 either blue or black will make 28-30 psi i dont see the point in that much pressure, nor 280gph.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:38 PM

I really don't see the benefit of 2 in line with each other, one will still have to feed the other, 1 would still be limiting the other. Wouldn't it be better to have them each pulling from the tank, sorta like in parallel rather than in series? So like T'd upstream and downstream? That would effectively give you twice the volume wouldn't it?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 AM

I'm thinking one Holley Black will do the job for me. But that is a nice set-up Dennis.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:35 AM

OK, now I'm going to have to take a 'sharpie' marker and color over that blue label, and make them black for all you people who have never seen holley pumps and brackets before

Maybe I should make a nice purty stainless one and everyone will think I have a "Aerospace" or "food grade" pump instead.

The reason for 2 in series is so one pump doesn't see the full load of pulling the fuel. The brushes run a little cooler and the units don't heat up like a single or parallel arrangement does. Probably doesn't make a rats butt difference since they're overkill anyway but the system works flawlessly and much cheaper than an aftermarket one costs. I don't get to put on the cool sticker though and that hurts my feelings a little. I have both set now at just over 12 psi and they hardly know they're workin!
The screens are out since I pump into my stock WIX fuel filter and canister anyway and don't want the little brass suckers to clog with wax crystals in case it gets really cold! At that point, I might have more problems than a holley fuel screen plugging up. We'll see.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM

I use the holley black pump and have been pretty happy with it. I removed the inlet line from the factory pump and put it directly on the filter housing. and i Just spliced the pump inline. wired with a factory plug from the factory lp wiring so it cycles and operates like the stock one.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM

DMcP...

I have to ask... are you speaking of the 02 lift pump system? Or like mine in the pictures which has the stock lift pump attached to the side of the filter canister with 4 soc hd cap screws? If it';s the later one, you're not hooked into the filter, you're pushing fuel thru the stock pump and then into the filter. If it's the first situation, never mind... I'm dumb.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 PM

whoops yes 2nd gen truck. wasnt paying attention.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Just cut and slipped the hose over. A flair or compression fitting isn't needed with the relatively low pressures involved. I did use the fuel injection type clamps at each end because they work much better. Mines never leaked or seeped at all...

Drummed up an old thread....

jrussell,

Are you still running this set-up? What pressure are you seeing on your gauge? I'm assuming you spliced into the line between the OEM in tank pump and the OEM filter canister -- correct? Relay trigged by the OEM in tank pump harness? How much pressure can the OEM system handle before seals start leaking?

Quick Reply: Holley Blue vs Holley Black