3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Holley Blue vs Holley Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Todd

I have a question for you. Did you unplug the electrical connection( filter pump) and just splice that connection for the Holley black? How did you wire the Holley.Did you use a relay? I like what you did because keeping the stock pump in place gives you a back up. Just carry a short piece of hose and connect around the Holley if the Holley goes out.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:56 PM

i also want to know how to wire the holley blue inline with the stock in-tank pump,as i am having the pressure drop with my quad race,just happens i have a holley blue sitting in the shop,left over from aux fuel tank,it is now gravity feed thru filter straight to stock tank
Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 PM

I was asking the same thing somewhere recently. I have an 05, and I think the guys doing this have the external pump on the fuel filter, while we have the in tank set up from the factory. I could be wrong. Can someone clarify?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 PM

I was asking the same thing somewhere recently. I have an 05, and I think the guys doing this have the external pump on the fuel filter, while we have the in tank set up from the factory. I could be wrong. Can someone clarify?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 AM

I'm running this system now, (BD Aux. lift pump) and it's pushing my stock pump on the filter. I just replaced this pump about a month ago under a one year warranty, but BD make me pay shipping both ways and they charged me $25 to return ship to me ground, took over a week, what I think is a rebuilt pump and it's acting up after one month. So now I'm looking to replace it with a Holley Black.

The BD Aux. kit came with a oil sensor switch that turns the power on once the engine is running and oil pressure builds.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 AM

I left the stock electrical pump completely intact. I wired the holley with a relay separately. I found a spare fuse connection in the fuse box that turns on only when the key is turned to the start position. If the holley ever fails all I have to do is bypass it like you suggested with a small piece of hose. I also put shut off valves before and after so I can change the pump or clean the small filter I added before the pump without spilling or running diesel fuel all over.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks Al and Todd

Todd I have one more question if you do not mind. Are you running the filter mounted pump and the Holley at the same time or is the filter pump disabled?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM

The filter mounted pump is running also.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlCorr
I'm running this system now, (BD Aux. lift pump) and it's pushing my stock pump on the filter. I just replaced this pump about a month ago under a one year warranty, but BD make me pay shipping both ways and they charged me $25 to return ship to me ground, took over a week, what I think is a rebuilt pump and it's acting up after one month. So now I'm looking to replace it with a Holley Black.

The BD Aux. kit came with a oil sensor switch that turns the power on once the engine is running and oil pressure builds.

I see your "hide a key" now I know where to look
Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Chapter President

Ok, I have off work today, rarely on Mondays, what do I need to go and buy at Auto Zone? Im thinking hose (what size) clamps, wire (what size)?, pump and what else? Im not a complete idiot, but would prefer not to screw up my truck. Do I leave the filter mounted pump running? Now for my last question for now, where and how do I need to wire this thing? Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Hi Cowboy,

I have not done the additional fuel pump but from reading I have learned this much.

Holley blue or Holley black
3/8 inch diesel fuel hose and clamps (Some use more than one clamp when you splice the hard line for the hose)
Strainer like AlCorr has before pump to protect pump. Stock 600 says he has had good luck removing the screen in the Holley pump ( because the inpump screen can clogg and kill the pump. Since you will have the strainer you do not need the screen.

12volt relay and 12 guage wire. You can wire the relay like Todd says but some use the hot wire on the filter mounted pump to trigger the relay. Then they run a fuse from the hot battery terminal to the relay and the other side to the pump.

hope this helps

A shut off valve like Todd says would be of much help if you need to change the strainer or the pump. Take a piece of hose to homeDepot and find a ball valve that would work. I think it would be a 3/8 valve.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:27 PM

The question Holley blue vs Holley black. If the black will push through a disabled cannister pump then the black would be my choice. That way in the event that the canister pump failed you would not be stranded.

Does anyone know the answer?

thanks guys
Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Pressure is the same on both 14 psi stock. Little more available if the spring in the relief is SLIGHTLY stretched. But not rec. or needed. The blue will do just as good a job as the black for less cash. Remove bottom plate you will notice a brass screen in the inlet, remove it and reinstall the bottom plate. Now your holley will serve you well for a long time. Diesel is dirtier and much thicker than gas and the pump hates pulling it though that dam screen, let your factory fuel filter do its job not the pump. Works for me and lots of family and friends for hundreds of thousands of miles. Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Chapter President

Thanks Shortbed. I have never wired a relay, though have done tooooonnnns of KC lights and whatnot. So just to make sure. pump, pre filter, 3/8 hose and clamps, relay, wire and I just picked up some heat shrink tubing. Does anyone know if the Holley blue comes with a bracket or do I need to make one? TIA

Quick Reply: Holley Blue vs Holley Black