3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Holley "Blue" Fuel pump...did it work for you???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley "Blue" Fuel pump...did it work for you???

I have read many post's where people have stated that they have "Heard" that the holley blue pumps fail, but I'm having trouble finding post's of people who have actually had them fail. So if you have or had a Holley "Blue" pump, please let me know if it failed and when...
Thanks...

For those people who need to express thier opinion beyond what I am asking:

Yes, I know your __________(enter Manufactors name) is better. Yes, I know Holley does not state thier pumps are for diesel. Yes I know Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah..........

Thank you for sharing your unwanted opinion with me, now my life is complete....
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tiara3100
I have read many post's where people have stated that they have "Heard" that the holley blue pumps fail, but I'm having trouble finding post's of people who have actually had them fail. So if you have or had a Holley "Blue" pump, please let me know if it failed and when...
Thanks...

For those people who need to express thier opinion beyond what I am asking:

Yes, I know your __________(enter Manufactors name) is better. Yes, I know Holley does not state thier pumps are for diesel. Yes I know Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah..........

Thank you for sharing your unwanted opinion with me, now my life is complete....
I glad someone finally said it. I hate the people that come on here and answer a post just to tell you that their's is better. Truth is I know and I don't care!

The Holley Blue is a good pump. I know my buddy had one on his truck and ran it for 2 years and then gave it to another friend and he ran it for another year with no issues until he found a hell of a deal on a used FASS. If you have a Holley Blue, use it. If it does mess up you can buy a re-build kit for $25 or so and fix in about 5-10 mins. Good luck
Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Sorry for the double post...Please ignore...Thank you...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big Smoky
I glad someone finally said it. I hate the people that come on here and answer a post just to tell you that their's is better. Truth is I know and I don't care!

The Holley Blue is a good pump. I know my buddy had one on his truck and ran it for 2 years and then gave it to another friend and he ran it for another year with no issues until he found a hell of a deal on a used FASS. If you have a Holley Blue, use it. If it does mess up you can buy a re-build kit for $25 or so and fix in about 5-10 mins. Good luck
Yes, I will second that.

I'm using a Carter now and when and if it dies, I plan on replacing it with a Holley Black with no regulator. Also I was advised if you use a Holley pump to remove the screen out of the intake side.

I have a friend with a 01 and has been using a Holly Blue with no regulator and no stock pump for over 2 years with no problem. But I will say his pump is load, but once he starts that 2nd gen you can't hear it.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
got a buddy in town that has had a blue on his truck for a long time. runs 13.1 @ 102 mph in the 1/4 and never has had a problem.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Prob. 80+ % of failures are due to either insuffecant wire size which will over heat the windings, or stopped up screen witch over heats and locks up the pump from no lubrication. But thiers more here that will cuss them than not. To each thier own, and i say use what works for you. I have never had a Blue failure that had a 10 guage feed all the way to the relay and the screen removed. Nor anyone that i know running them and thiers a lot of them.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM

i have had one on my truck since june. at that time i also installed a drawstraw in the tank with 1/2" fuel line all the way to the injection pump and still retained the stock filter and added a 2 micron filter.it has run fine with one exception. the power wire for the fuel pump shorted out.other than that i have had no problems
Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 PM

i have been running the blue pump for the last 15 months or better, put it on in line with the stocker for about 8 months then the stocker died, so i have been running it on its own ever since with a 2 micron filter. i have a pressure gauge under the hood and at idle it holds 15 lbs. and reving it, it drops to 12-13psi, now i know that does not tell me what pressure it may have under a load, but it never pops or misses out so it works for now. and was well worth the 100 bucks
Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM

I've had my "blue" on for 4 months. Using it to feed the stock pump and filter then to a 3 mic spin-on. 21 psi@ idle, will draw to 17-18 @ wot. No problems so far and only about $150 for the whole home made set-up.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 PM

If you were to use a blue pump? How and were would you install it? Do you use steel line or rubber. New to the diesel world. thxs.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
got a buddy in town that has had a blue on his truck for a long time. runs 13.1 @ 102 mph in the 1/4 and never has had a problem.
you stand corrected chris!!!! i just lost mine after a little over a year of service... i dont know why, i removed the screen, checked out what i could and tapped it, disconnected/reconnected it a few times but it would only put out 2-3 psi. i did replace it with another holley blue though out of convenience and being able to get one locally, i will be getting a different system from highdesertravelco.com if it fails again though.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:26 PM

Are you guys running these pumps along with the stock pump or by themselves? I would like to run a Racor 2 micron filter along with the stock filter on my 06, but am afraid of putting too much strain on the stock in-tank fuel pump. Something like this Holley pump run as a booster with the stock pump would make me a lot more comfortable. I hope this isn't too much off topic to constitute hijacking this thread. If so, sorry.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran a Blue for about a year with the regulator. The motor didn't fail, but it started to leak so I decided to upgrade

Last Jan, installed a Black without the regulator, solid 20psi-25psi all day long inline with the in-tank pump. 27K miles later, its still running strong.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:37 PM

i run mine with 1/2in lines and banjos by itself
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 PM

from what i was told when the pump fails it can be returned and replaced with new one from the lifetime warrenty they have

Quick Reply: Holley "Blue" Fuel pump...did it work for you???