3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HO injectors vs SO injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HO injectors vs SO injectors?

What is the difference in the 2003 HO and the SO versions of the Cummins are the injectors the same? thats my big question because i have the edge with attitude and im still not satisfied with the power. Im thinking there is not enough fuel getting to it? any suggestions or inputs?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The injectors should be the same. Only differences I can think of is the HO has piston cooling, slightly higher compression ratio and different programming.

Still running the stock lift pump? Could be getting weak.

MikeyB
Old 04-03-2008, 05:07 PM

where do you find lift pumps, is it something after market or do you go back to dealer?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go with aftermarket lift pumps. Plenty of choices like FASS, Airdog, Raptor, Glacier Diesel Performance.....

MikeyB
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM

thanks mikeyb
Old 04-03-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before installing a set of HO injectors make sure that the serial numbers fall into your specification or you will have some problems with the injectors not functioning properly.
Some injector numbers are interchangable and some are not. Best thing for you to do is get a set of tips for your injectors and have them installed.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the ho has oil galley cooled pistons, cracked cap forged connecting rods, a bedplate tieing the main caps and a different ecm calib.....injectors, cam, head and turbo are same.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM

I have to disagree with you on the injectors. some of them are and some of them are not.
If you go to Dodge to order injectors there are two different types of injectors. Late model and early model for 03 to the 04 year. Neither will work in the other properly.

The service manual also states to ensure that the serial numbers match as the two injectors are not interchanagable.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 PM

yes i am in agreement but that has to do with model year and not SO vs. HO...unless u know for a fact that SO and HO have different serial #'s...comprenday ?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM

To answer the original question then to deal with the injector disagreement.

First off do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If you do what is it reading?
Do you have a after market Lift pump installed?

The injector tips for the 03 SO/HO are the same, They did do a modification to the bodies part way through to addresse the reliability issues with the early injectors. They changed the standard solinoid with a Peizo solinoid in doing so they also changed the programming for HO models. Will a HO injector work on a SO engine, yes. Will it work flawlesly maybe maybe not.
Depending on the model of the injector there were three or four injector part numbers for 2003. Some were interchangable and some were not. They were all superceded for the newest part numbers. Which is the fourth number. You can still order the second to last part number but they are almost out of the system.

Your best bet would be to ensure that you have adequate fuel pressure to the injection pump 11.5 psi min as originally recommended by Dodge then superceded part way through the year to min of 3.5.
Next if Fuel pressure is all good and your still not satisfied then having your inejctors tested for proper operation would be in order.
If they are fine then haveing a set of tips installed would be your next step.
You can order the parts yourself or you can send them away to get them done. (I recommend you send them away to get done and balanced properly).
This should resolve your issues with lack of power.

To answer
"yes i am in agreement but that has to do with model year and not SO vs. HO...unless u know for a fact that SO and HO have different serial #'s...comprenday ?"
Ya I am comprenday of your situation. I Do know for a fact that the HO and SO had different part numbers, both of which has been superceded with a new part number. Three different part numbers for 2003 Injectors. The fourth part number is the newest one that supercedes the previous.
- 03 also had upwards of 30 different programming configurations for the ECM 25 or so were for the SO model alone.
Your talking about model years differance and thinking I am confusing them. I am not thanks though for the asumption.

I still spend hours researching my truck the problems associated with it. I have found out that there is more to these trucks and their quarks then just what one shop or area may know or can access.
One shop for example may only know of certain issues becasue they only affect a certain area. So Dodge in General will not release the info wide spread. Even if you are a dealership you are not privy to all their information.
Nor all the parts they have.

The Tech information you do get can some times be biased in the favor of Chrysler even for the jobber shops.
I learned that the hard way and it cost me a few dollars in trial and error.

Just becasue you have infor that is contrary to what some one else has said does not mean you have the right answer and act like a Donkey.

No wonder people go elsewhere to chat on other sites.

Good luck with your truck. let us know what you find out.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 PM

thanx guys i appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM

wow, i do apologize i do not wish to offend......but u do agree that ho and so have same nozzels then say later on that they have different part #'s, idk....u said "The injector tips for the 03 SO/HO are the same,"then go on to say " I Do know for a fact that the HO and SO had different part numbers" so there in lies my confusion.....i just dont understand the contradiction.they are the same injector but with different part numbers?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 AM

I did say in my post that the tips were the same but the bodies were different (internals). One part number had a standard electric solinoid the other model had a peizo electric. They also had some other modifications between the different part numbers.
One of the part numbers had a different tip hole configuration. Not to sure if they added another hole or they machined them bigger or different angles.

I can break this down for you using simple description. (note may not be accurate as the exact modifications).
First part number injector using standard electric solinoid. early 03
Second part number injector with different style tip with standard solinoid mid03 -04
Third part number injector with previous tip style and using peizo solinoid. early 03-04

Fourth part number was a up date for the previous three. so as to avoid confusion but is the latter of the injectors. early 03 to 04

That is about as clear as I can make it. If I counterdicted myself in my previous post about this subject then I hope that I have clarified myself fully.

nel76914 let us know how you make out and what you go with for modifications.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:34 PM

I will thanx