3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Here's a question for the group...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Here's a question for the group...

If you wanted to buy a new pickup truck for the following reasons:

1.) Daily driver.

2.) Occasional hauling of various stuff because you were sick of not having enough room in your car whenever this need arose.

3.) Some snowplowing in the future.

4.) Towing of medium sized boat, skimobiles, motorcycles, various toys, etc.

5.) Want a 4WD.

If money didn't matter to you as much as reliability, etc., would you buy a diesel or a gasser?

Keep in mind the list could be accomplished with either engine.

Just curious.

Thanks,

DT.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Chapter President

When I got my first truck I was sure I never wanted to drive a car again.

As soon as I got my first diesel, I was sure I never want to drive a gasser again.

I am glad to have evolved.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:30 PM

I am a firm believer that diesel is superior to gas in every way. As an everyday driver, I think your main concern would be fuel milage and a diesel engine will get better milage than any gas engine on the same truck.

Also, reliability for a diesel is through the roof (at least with Cummins! . ). Diesel engines have fewer moving parts than gas engines, so the tend to last a lot longer.

And finally, a diesel engine will pay for itself and then some. I know around my area diesel is always cheaper than gas. And diesel engine can go longer between oil changes.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:43 PM

I have a 03 LS430 Lexus in garage, driven twice since last year, the last time was to get it detailed and shot photos for the Autotrader.

I am a truck dude......
Old 03-23-2004, 02:52 PM

When I got my first truck I was sure I never wanted to drive a car again.

As soon as I got my first diesel, I was sure I never want to drive a gasser again.

I am glad to have evolved.

That pretty much says it for all of us who have ever been there
Old 03-23-2004, 03:04 PM

Based on all of your items, I'd say it would depend on the yearly mileage you expect to put on it. If you're planning to rack up some respectable mileage, and plan on keeping it a while I say go with the diesel. It takes quite a few years of fuel savings to pay for the engine. Everything else you do could be covered quite well with a gasser. Another thing to figure in your mix is that a diesel will hold its value should you decide to trade it in some time down the road.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:16 PM

Your asking the wrong group of people. We only drive diesels. Gassers are for our wives.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:21 PM

I figure if I spend approx the same amount or just a bit less on say, a new, fully optioned F150, the F150 wouldn't last nearly as long as a diesel.

I plan on keeping the truck for the next 10-15 years anyway and I'd like to haul my morotcycle, and maybe a few others on long distance trips (cross-country) to events/rallies.

I would much rather do long distance towing with a diesel than a V8 gasser.

And then there's all the other stuff I listed.

I was thinking that a diesel may be way overkill for my purposes, but now I guess not!

Thanks alot for all the input.

DT.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Although we do all drive diesels on this forum I doubt that there are any that have not driven gassers. Thier choice is obvious.

I think that it depends on cost of operation, availability and pricing of the fuel, and the cost of the machine it is put in.

You do not have a location listed. If you are using it to plow snow, and are in the extrememe cold it takes a little longer to warm up the load. Availability of an outlet (for the block heater) could be a consideration.

I think what you will find is that there a more people that go to diesel for what it offers. Few give up a diesel once they have experienced it.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:13 PM

If money didn't matter to you as much as reliability, etc., would you buy a diesel or a gasser?

I'm in a similar spot. I'm stuck between
- Toyota Tundra
- Dodge 3500SRW w/ Cummins
- Ford F150.

The Tundra because it's big enough, powerful enough, and Toyota quality is top notch. Not just the drivetrain, but the interior and whatnot as well.

The F150 because it just impressed me at how quiet it was and how well it drove. Real solid. Real quality feel.

The Cummins because it's overbuilt for what I need, it also drives well and is pretty quiet. But also because it's always good to have a tool that's more than you need. Check the box off the list, if this truck can't do it nothing can. Also the quad cab has tons more room than either extended cab truck. A big plus for the Dodge.

Now if you're comparing a Dodge gasser with a Dodge/Cummins, that's a big "duh" get the diesel. But if you're just looking for a pickup you've got more options.

Also consider while there are lots of high mileage diesels. There are also some high mileage gassers kicking around. Well maintained I've seen a number of 200k gas trucks.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by stevenknapp

I'm in a similar spot. I'm stuck between
- Toyota Tundra
- Dodge 3500SRW w/ Cummins
- Ford F150.

The F150 because it just impressed me at how quiet it was and how well it drove. Real solid. Real quality feel.

The Cummins because it's overbuilt for what I need, it also drives well and is pretty quiet. But also because it's always good to have a tool that's more than you need. Check the box off the list, if this truck can't do it nothing can. Also the quad cab has tons more room than either extended cab truck. A big plus for the Dodge.

Exactly.

It'd be between the SCREW F150 and the Dodge Cummins Quad Cab.

The Dodge would have so many more uses, not to mention a longer bed, (even the Dodge short bed is longer than the F150's Super Crew 5.5' bed), and that's why I'm leaning toward the Dodge.

And using that same logic, if I want the Dodge Cummins for those reasons, I say just skip the 2500 and go for the 3500.

I think the F150 I priced out was around 42k. Not enough difference to sway my decision one way or the other.

DT.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:44 PM

Diesel! They just sound cool . Ok so they also are a better work horse and thats just I want if I'm buying a truck. Besides its more fun to blow the doors off a gasser, and leave them in a cloud of thick black smoke !
Old 03-23-2004, 05:29 PM

When i first started driving my dad gave me his old 91 CTD, i couldnt wait to get a sports car with a big v8. well, now that im 19 he finally gave the truck to me and i wont look back. if i never have to drive a gasoline motored vehicle again, i couldnt be happier. just today my truck turned over 200,000 and she still runs just as good as the day my dad drove her home from the dealer, actually a little better with an exhaust and pump tweak. go with the diesel, you surely wont regret it.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mymaur
Your asking the wrong group of people. We only drive diesels. Gassers are for our wives.
Speak for yourself. See sig. Even my car is a diesel. Okay okay the lawn mower is gas but is smokes 'cause its a 2 stroke.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dieselnewbie
Exactly.

It'd be between the SCREW F150 and the Dodge Cummins Quad Cab.

The Dodge would have so many more uses, not to mention a longer bed, (even the Dodge short bed is longer than the F150's Super Crew 5.5' bed), and that's why I'm leaning toward the Dodge.

And using that same logic, if I want the Dodge Cummins for those reasons, I say just skip the 2500 and go for the 3500.

I think the F150 I priced out was around 42k. Not enough difference to sway my decision one way or the other.

DT.
If money is not an issue then I would go big cube gasser. Good for towing, you have cash so don't care about fuel economy or getting killed on a trade right?
Now saying that if you pay 42k for an F150 you are stupid. Period. $18699 in the paper here supercab. Auto, A/C, am/fm. V8. Reg cab is 14299 manual trans, 15399 auto. Both have air and am/fm. Page C10 News Press
Now compare that with a CTD and put the difference into the bank. You have your truck, cash saved, (oh I forgot you don't havta worry about that). F150 are great trucks, tons out there, lots of fleets use them. But a sports car with the money saved for the days ya wanna be young again. Good luck. JMO

Quick Reply: Here's a question for the group...