3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help... Milky red water in radiator.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help... Milky red water in radiator.

I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel with milky red fluid in the radiator. The transmission dip stick looks normal. The truck leaks when off and I have to fill radiator every two days. The truck runs cool until the leak depletes the coolant. The transmission has started to slip when I turn (especially left). I am very confused?? What do I do Next?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
There is a trans cooler located left side of block just above starter. Engine coolant is used to cool trans fluid. Most likely cooler has developed internal leak allowing the higher pressure trans fluid to get into engine coolant. Replace the cooler and flush your cooling system really good. I would also service trans just to play it safe. Slippage is caused by low trans fluid level and may also have some coolant in trans fluid. You should do a trans fluid flush with service if any coolant has gotten into transmission fluid.

REMOVAL - WATER TO OIL COOLER
CAUTION: If a leak should occur in the water-to-oil cooler mounted to the side of the engine block, engine coolant may become mixed with transmission fluid. Transmission fluid may also enter engine cooling system. Both cooling system and transmission should be drained and inspected in case of oil cooler leakage.

Disconnect both battery negative cables.
Remove starter (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/STARTING/STARTER MOTOR - REMOVAL).
Drain cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
Disconnect coolant lines from cooler.
NOTE: Use a back-up wrench on the transmission cooler fittings to prevent damage to the cooler.

Disconnect transmission oil lines from cooler. Plug cooler lines to prevent oil leakage.
Remove cooler bracket to transmission adapter bolt.
Remove wire harness push in clip at bottom of coolant bracket.
Remove wire harness push in clip at bottom of coolant bracket.
Remove two cooler bracket to block bolts.
Remove cooler assembly from vehicle.(Transmission Water-To- Oil Cooler - Diesel)

If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of trans fluid, clean and flush with
Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing
to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the
specified coolant and distilled water.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he said.

Really I was just gonna say bad trans cooler. But Big Iron said it a lot better.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Once the repair is made, save yourself some $$$ and just go buy powdered Cascade automatic dishwashing detergent, put some in the raditor with straight water. Run the engine enough to get the coolant up to full operating temp. and allow it to circulate for several hours. Drain, fill with water and run it for a few minutes and see if more oil comes to the top, if so, add Cascade and run it a little while longer. Once you get it all removed, drain and fill with coolant...
Powered Cascade has been used for generations to clean out cooling systems after oil cooler failures... Its GREAT at removing oil from the cooling system, won't hurt anything, and much less expensive to purchase.
Just dont go steal the Mrs. dishwashing powder, that could cause a war.. hahahaha..
Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks guys this was the problem. Had it fixed and runs great.