3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help me decide which one to buy !

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide which one to buy !

05 laramie auto, 77,000 Kilometers
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...041910947.html
Pros: mint shape, low Ks, laramie, dealer will throw in a new set of duratracs
Cons: automatic, color, no warranty left

07 slt(?) G56 standard, 5.9, 143,000 Kilometers
http://www.pioneermotorgroup.com/use...2c8742a3b6.htm
Pros: mint shape, Brand new 5.9 engine with 1 year warranty, new injectors, front end done, 6 speed manual, color (might throw in new tires, havent asked yet)
Cons: its been sitting a the dealers lot for a year (no idea why), rubber floors / lower grade interior

tough call .. each one has it's upsides ..

My main concerns are getting better highway milage (standard tranny), resale (not sure which one is in more demand).. but at the same time the laramie with low Ks is pretty attractive too...

help !?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive 'em both and buy the one you like better.

I'd be curious as to why the '07 has been sitting on the lot for a year, and so far as I know SLT didn't come with rubber floors unless they special-order it from the factory. Was it a work truck? Maybe used as a snowplow or something else where the frame or transfer case might be suspect? Why did the first engine die?

As far as mileage, it depends more on the final gear ratio than the tranny. I've got the NV5600 and 4.10 gears and can squeek (barely) into the low 20s. I know some folks with autos and 3.73 gears that get 20-21 on a regular basis. Driving habits, fuel quality, and city vs highway all make a difference as well.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 PM

They said that it had too much blow by, hard start, took apart the head and the cylinder walls were polished (no cross hatching) so they had to put a new engine in.. they said it was due to a dirty air filter. either way, it has a 1 year warranty. Not sure what trim level it is .. but its got power windows / locks / seats / cd player / fog lights / ac, but no carpet / leather / heated seats

they both have 3.73 anti-spin diffs

the 07 is too clean to be a work truck
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Just so I will know, what does a new truck cost in Vancouver?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:45 AM

The cheapest new quad cab 3500 you can find is around 48,000 .. but usually around 55-60 range.. probably listed at 70+
Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bill M.
Just so I will know, what does a new truck cost in Vancouver?
http://www.coquitlamchrysler.ca/new-...&SBprice=clear
In 2006 mine was $51325 on sale,reg. $58325,I cant believe the prices now,low 60s to mid 70s and used ones almost dont exist.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Guess it comes down to what you are going to do with it. I tow fairly light and my wife drives it as her everyday ride, so we are very happy with the auto (2007 Larime 2500, about like the 2005 you are looking at). We get 17 to 18 mpg town driving, 20-21 on the road, 15 towing 7K. I would lean towards the 2005. I like the color. I do like the heated leather seats. Our 2007 is white and that does not do much for me.
But if you want the manual transmission, then that would make the choice. I really do not see an advantange of a new engine over one with 80kk. They are supposed to last much longer than that. I would rather have the original with less miles and hope it and the truck were better serviced than the one with the "dirty filter". Since they are the same price now I would expect the resale value to be similar after a few years. Personally, I am just gonna keep mine for a long time.
If Dodges cost that much in Vancouver, I wonder what the new Fords cost?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM

My neighbour just bought a 2010 Dodge,he said GM and Ford were about $10k more and they need urea and no salesman can tell him how long the urea lasts and how much it costs .He figured they knew but just didnt want to say,so he figured it was best to stay away from it.We always pay more in Canada,even when our dollar = U.S. dollar...its called being ripped off
Old 11-06-2010, 03:26 PM

My friend just traded his 3 year old ford on a new one. He does not get it until December. Supposed to get 25-27 running empty on the highway and 17 or so pulling a horse trailer (with horse). Probably does not matter much what the Urea costs.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM

My friend just traded his 3 year old ford on a new one. He does not get it until December. Supposed to get 25-27 running empty on the highway and 17 or so pulling a horse trailer (with horse). Probably does not matter much what the Urea costs.
Not a chance in Hades he's going to get that kind of fuel mileage. It's just not going to happen.

Use this as food for thought: Most compact cars weigh 1/3 or less of a new full-size diesel, have fuel-efficient 4-cyl engines with 1/4 the displacement and they only average out at 30-35hwy. Factor in the much smaller aero profile of the car and it should be easy to see there's just no way possible. I don't know where he's getting the numbers from, but either the dealer is flat-out lying to him, or he's trying to make himself feel better about buying a new truck.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:16 AM

My neighbour was complaining about the fuel economy on his new 2010 Mega Cab Dually already,almost as bad as his dads F450 Dually with the 6.4 engine he said.He used to have a late 1st gen. Dodge dually long box mannual trans.So what happens to a truck when you run out of urea? Does it stop running or just a bunch of warning lights start flashing to tell you if you dont fill up something is going to get plugged/screwed up ?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=KWKING;2871216]My neighbour was complaining about the fuel economy on his new 2010 Mega Cab Dually already,almost as bad as his dads F450 Dually with the 6.4 engine he said.He used to have a late 1st gen. Dodge dually long box mannual trans.QUOTE]

That's strange. Know several guys with 6.7's and they all get decent mileage.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice ...

I went and took the 07 6 speed for a "long test drive".. drove it to the other dealership and put it side by side with the 05 laramie.. by the time I got to the second dealership I was done with shifting gears .. and the fact that the auto cruises at lower rpm basically made up my mind !!

05 laramie it is .. first thing I'm going to do is throw a set of 285/70/17 goodyear duratracs on it.. and then on the list:

-edge or smarty programmer
-better air filter
-maybe a better exhaust
-take off the bed and make a flat sled deck
-dvd nav and better stereo
-projector HIDs

and then in the summer look at my tranny before I start towing the boat

I'll be doing lots of reading on here
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Yeah.. thats NOT going to happen...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by SidewaysInto3rd
Thanks everyone for your advice ...

I went and took the 07 6 speed for a "long test drive".. drove it to the other dealership and put it side by side with the 05 laramie.. by the time I got to the second dealership I was done with shifting gears .. and the fact that the auto cruises at lower rpm basically made up my mind !!

05 laramie it is .. first thing I'm going to do is throw a set of 285/70/17 goodyear duratracs on it.. and then on the list:

-edge or smarty programmer
-better air filter
-maybe a better exhaust
-take off the bed and make a flat sled deck
-dvd nav and better stereo
-projector HIDs

and then in the summer look at my tranny before I start towing the boat

I'll be doing lots of reading on here
Congrats on the new truck. I would suggest your first purchase actually be a set of gauges. Boost and EGT as a minimum, with Tranny temp a close third. At a total under $300, it's cheap insurance to keep you out of trouble. S&B has a nice new intake kit...if you're going to go that route (I did) get a paper filter in addition to the oiled filter, it makes it easier to do filter maintenance. As far as programmers go, well, Smarty is hands-down the best one I've ever used (Edge EZ/Quad XZT/Diablo puck). If you're not looking for stupid power the Smarty Jr is priced right and offers additional functions you don't get with an Edge. On the other hand, the Edge is a plug in box whereas with the Smarty you actually reprogram the ECM...some folks don't care for that much, but it's really just a thing. I'd also reconsider the Duratracs...they're only a load range D, and I've never had good luck even though the overall load rating is the same. The tires don't live as long as they should, and the truck is really squirmy over road imperfections.

My 2 cents, and probably worth at least half of that

Quick Reply: Help me decide which one to buy !