3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP! Air Dog and fuel gelling problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is what I use.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/NOM...ZD7?Pid=search
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same stuff.... different day. -15* this morning and same problems. I wrapped the air dog in that electric pipe wrap all night to keep things warm. And warm the air dog was this morning.
But still.........start......run for a few...... die.

The air dog is plenty warm with the heat tape wrapped all around. Looks like i have another issue somewhere else.

I just dont understand how dodge's factory lift pump and tiny fuel lines never froze up.
With the factory fuel heater at the filter, fuel would still have to travel from the tank, all the way up the tiny lines, into the filter where its heated then to the injection pump.
The air dog has much bigger 1/2" lines I.D.
Even if they were gellling in the lines, once they got to my warm air dog, i would figure that would warm it enough to at least let the thing idle.

95% full tank this time. Added 3 gallons of kerosene. We'll see how long it takes this time
I will certinly be adding something to this fuel systrem this summer. This is freakin rediculious!

FWIW, i got fuel this time at a large Shell station.
This is almost making me wanna go back to a gas truck.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM

3 hours now trying to get it to run................... im about to trade this POS in for a POS hemi. At least they start in the cold.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Its strange. It seem when it stalls...... it wont start right back up. But if i bump the starter to let the airdog pump for 2 cyles, it fires right up.
Towards the end of the second cycle, the airdog sounds like its sucking air.
Almost like im priming the system. NO WAY am i that low on fuel, heck i just filled up yesterday morning and added another 3 gallons of kerosene this morning.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Did you just put straight pump fuel into it yesterday? Been reading about a lot of fuel issues in Co.

It will take a while for 3 gals of kero to make a difference, your going to have to let it sit for a while.

Next time you fill up look for some #1 and put it in straight.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Did you just put straight pump fuel into it yesterday? Been reading about a lot of fuel issues in Co.

It will take a while for 3 gals of kero to make a difference, your going to have to let it sit for a while.

Next time you fill up look for some #1 and put it in straight.

I was up in the mountians yesterday and i was looking for someone selling #1. Seems gas statiion attendents hardly have a clue where the Snickers bars are let alone what kind of diesel their selling.
Most of em said, "uh, we only have one kind of diesel."

MORONS.

I was looking for number 1 without luck so yes....full tank of #2 with 3 gallons of kerosene.
I wanted 5 gallons of kereo but everyone around here is out

I think i got it going. With no noticable change in the way it was running, i unhooked the 30' box trailer and took a spin around swapping the wheel side to side to slosh around the kero. Stalled once but now driving but now its running great.
Guess i just needed to mix it up a bit.
So now when the weather hits lows like it has, ill drop 5 gallons of kero in a full tank before i get home. Maybe that'll help later.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM

most truck stops run a #1 and a #2 pump, or a 50:50 pump, etc..

If its going to be below -10 I would do more than 5 gals of Kero. I would get as close to 50:50 as possible.

http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Lo...6+Denver%2c+CO
Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM

just looking outside the box here, but it seems you are getting tunnel vision. Is there a chance your pump may be fouled? I know there is a maintenance with the airdog where you take the pump plate off and clean up the gears inside there. You might be troubleshooting the wrong part of your fuel system. I have had my truck parked overnight in -15 with only winterized fuel and have no problems starting or running.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sevir
just looking outside the box here, but it seems you are getting tunnel vision. Is there a chance your pump may be fouled? I know there is a maintenance with the airdog where you take the pump plate off and clean up the gears inside there. You might be troubleshooting the wrong part of your fuel system. I have had my truck parked overnight in -15 with only winterized fuel and have no problems starting or running.

I defiantly appreciate the new opinion!!! I thought that myself at one point. But seems every time i add heat or kerosene..... and time, it runs fine.
Once again, it ran perfectly all day today once i got it fired. Now were looking at 5* temps tonight. I had a full tank this morning, burned 25 gallons and found a place that sells 50/50. SO i filled up as much as i could with that.
Tonight the block heater is plugged in and so it the heat wrap around the pump.
I also got a 150,000 BTU torpedo heater just in case. I got a 2 hour drive ahead of me again tomorrow morning and cant afford to be 3 hours behine like i was this morning.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Hopefully that works for you!

Let us know.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 AM

You must had quite a bit of moister.....I would bet there were others in your situation....your in Denver...Flying J an Sapp Bros all sold treated fuel 12 yrs ago so I would bet they still do...I have driven diesels in some of the coldest conditions on earth...I froze up back in 81 on I80 30 miles from Wamsutter Wy...A truck for an oilrig company towed me to their shop and thawed me out, pumped out about 100 gals of fuel an replaced with #1, new filter and I was good...But the experience and what I learned from the hands there was priceless over the years...I prefer to use Howes Elixir at every tank....911 is for emergency thaws only not a anti-gel...It might be a pain today but knowledge is never painless....
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Well it fired right up this morning. But I don't think it got below 10*
I think ill just keep on with the 50/50 mix.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"You must had quite a bit of moister"

I don't believe it's moisture in the fuel that's the problem. isn't there a paraffin like stuff that's in there that solidifies when it gets so cold?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
"You must had quite a bit of moister"

I don't believe it's moisture in the fuel that's the problem. isn't there a paraffin like stuff that's in there that solidifies when it gets so cold?
yes...sorry that too....anytime you gel up replace the filter...I have two under back seat.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Jml,

I'm in Colorado and I have the airdog 100 on my truck and its pretty much doing the same thing yours is doing. Added 911 and white powerservice during first cold snap. Would start then die. Sat in warm shop for almost all day and then ran fine. Added 10 gallons of fuel from truck stop where CDOT fills up and more powerservice. Thought I was good. Started fine Tuesday morning at -8 and drove to work and ran errands no problems. Wednesday morning starts @ -14 and while idling in the driveway about after 5 minutes or so dies. Fired right up again but I get parked it and caught a ride... strange...