3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard start, white smoke, rough idle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard start, white smoke, rough idle...

I've just encountered my first problem with my truck. 2004.5 CTD with 62,500 miles. Till now the truck has started fine whether it was 100 or 30 degrees.

When I start the truck after it has sat for several hours (ex: before or after work) it won't start the first time I crank it. After the 2nd or 3rd try it'll start, but runs rough and huffs white smoke. The truck sounds and feels like it is running on 4 cylinders. Shortly after I put it in gear and drive off it clears up. Cold start is the only thing that I see that is affected. Fuel milage is the same, oil looks fine and is at normal level & pressure. Like I said, this just started a couple of days ago and it seems to be getting worse every day.

I've done some searching around on the subject and see people mention that:
a) their trucks always did this and the dealer said it was ok, or
b) it was a bad injector(s) and did or could cause serious engine damage.

What's the best way to approach the dealer about this problem? Up to a couple of days ago my truck never did this. It appears to be getting worse though. I'll take it to the dealer, but I'd like to know what the issue is first so I don't get jerked around.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 PM

i had an injector go out in mine and it did pretty much the exact same thing. oil level never rose but after it sat for a few mins and cooled down it would blow white smoke and run like pure crap.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:17 AM
PCM

rough idle, white smoke, on cold start

Yep, sounds like mine. Fires right up first crank of day, smokes like crazy, idles rough, and STINKS! Took it to the dealer and they have it now and have to go through TSB bullentin TSB 14-003-06 which is rather involved. I will find out something later on Monday. Hoping this will help mpg, too! Let's see. PCM
Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 AM

What date was ur truck manufactured PCM?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 PM

White Smoke and Rough idle

My Truck is a 2006 Ram and it had around 5000 miles on it when it did the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they checked it. They found no problem with it. They put a fuel addtive in it and said hook up my racing trailer to it and tow for a while with it. Well this did not cure the problem. I took matters into my own hands and fixed the problem myself. I starting checking things that would cause this problem and I found the fuel filter was jet black. I changed the fuel filter and put in some Vavoline Injector cleaner. Truck has stopped smoking and runs great.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 AM

My truck did this too. I changed the fuel filter, that didn't help. I ran some standadyne fuel treatment at recomended rate with every tank, helped a little. Triple dose of standadyne, helped a lot, but still had that weird stumble on morning start up, and it would start idling rough again after not using it for a few tanks.

I dumped in a quart of trans oil in the fuel tank, good old atf+3 to a full tank of fuel. Totally fixed it. Starts up smooth, idles smooth and my mpg is up. Worked on my buddies 06 Dodge too. I know we have sticky injectors, and they should be replaced. But it's so hard to let go of a work truck, even for just a few days.

Use ATF+3 at your own risk, I've heard lots of bad about using it. Don't use it in every tank, all the additives in can't be that good for your fuel system. But, it fixed our 2 trucks, for now.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
PCM

Rough idle and white smoake on cold start

Got the truck back today from the dealer. They did a cylinder injector leak down test on each cylinder and found #2 leaking. They replaced the injector and seal. Also, instructed to me to use Diesel Kleen periodically. Seem to run better already. Towing the RV tomorrow. Should be interesting to see the difference.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:18 PM

Update: One 32oz bottle of Diesel Kleen cleared up the problem. 500-600 miles later and the hard start issue has not resurfaced. Problem went away after the first 50 miles or so.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM

i would make diesel kleen a regular maintenance from now on.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM

I had the same problem. Two injectors and a reflash and it was kind of fixed. It wasn't as bad as before, but it was still there. I ran some Howes through one tank and took a long trip over the mountains and on the way back I dumped in a quart of 2 stroke. Problem is gone. I've been running 2 tanks of 2 stroke and then a tank of Howes and haven't seen it since in 3000 miles.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 AM

white & blue smoke

hello,

i am having similar problems with 41k miles on truck now. at 38k miles because of this problem the dealer did TSB 14-003-06 and tighten all transfer tube nuts. did a flow test with injectors flowing 145 ML. don't know what that means but truck seemed to run better. starting the same BS now and will go back to the dealer.

my question is this, when the factory 100k warrant is over will having after market injectors installed solve this white blue smoke problem? not looking for more power but just better quality injectors.

what are the opinions of our wrenches on this board?

thanks,
david
socal
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 AM

did you run some sort of injector cleaner, i bet that will fix your problem.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM

smokin'

Originally Posted by wreedCTD
did you run some sort of injector cleaner, i bet that will fix your problem.
weed, not sure if you are talking to me but i have used diesel kleen but have not for the last two tanks. just filled up yesterday so will go and dump some in today. hope this clears up the problems.

david
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM

where do they sell this Diesel Clean?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:28 PM

diesel kleen

Originally Posted by rogerL1961
where do they sell this Diesel Clean?
roger,

diesel kleen is sold at walmart or auto parts stores. it is also called "power service." summer months the silver jug, winter the white jug.

david
socal

Quick Reply: Hard start, white smoke, rough idle...