3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

gotta race an 04 Hemi 4X4-need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta race an 04 Hemi 4X4-need help

My new 04 3500 CTD 2WD QC single rear axle Ram has to race an 04 Hemi Ram 1500 QC 4X4 in March. I need advice on how much $ I need to spend to win (if any!). Anyone know the numbers on the Hemi-vs-CTD? 2nd place is not an option.
Thanks all
Old 01-10-2004, 11:00 AM

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but unless it's a race w/ a load on, you are gonna have to spend a lot of money to beat the Hemi. Try to convince the guy to put a 10k trailer on each truck and then give it a go. You'll spank him bad that way.
JMHO, Good luck-Steve
As far as numbers go, go to www.dodge.com and look around, you'll find all the torque/HP numbers there.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:14 PM

Well maybe there is a "calculator"??? I weigh about 1200lbs more-w-50 less hp and 180 more lb/ft of torque. Maybe there is a site-w-numbers. I understand aome 3500 owner(s) ran about 17.5 in 1/4 mile. Pretty slow but I can't see this "semi hemi" going flying down the track-w-4X4. Optimistic? Yes
Old 01-10-2004, 01:20 PM

If your truck is an auto than you have a much better chance. I know my 6 speed has no chance because every time I shift it looses boost pressure. Even towing my trailer I have no chance to my father who tows the same size and weight trailer, on level ground his v10 will leave me standing still because his is an auto. But I return the favor when it comes time to pull those 6 & 7% grades, there is no contest, the CTD will pull away from him. I know these 5 & 6 speeds are turtles off the line unless you heavily modified both engine and trans. My brother in law has a 2wd QC Hemi with big chrome wheels and it is no real barn burner. I t doesn’t set you back in the seat when you step on it. He had the same truck with a 4.7 and off the line I can’t tell the difference. The difference comes when you are rolling along ~45 and stomp on it then you notice a big difference.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:29 PM

Without heavy modifications, there is no fair comparison between a gas and a diesel engine when it comes to speed. Diesels, in their stock form, aren't made for speed. Here's what I suggest: you two can race for speed all you want and he'll win. And then you two tow uphill all you want and YOU'LL win. Sure, he might get here and there faster w/o a load, but you'd be able to tow HIS truck sideways up any hill faster and easier than his truck EVER will. You need to be proud that he owns a truck that's built like a scrawny track sprinter and your's is built like a behemoth power lifter!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:27 PM

OK I'm Irish so maybe that explains some things. The only reason I brought up the raceing issue is because I was absolutely amazed at the speed of this truck. My wife has a Phord van-w-the power stroke. It is turbo and is slugish untill the turbo kicks in and then it takes off real well. In addition I have (actually had-just sold it)a 1992 reg cab dakota-w-the V8 slightly modified. This 3500 automatic would leave the van sitting on its thumbs and by a seat of the pants evaluation the dakota is faster but not by a huge amount. The Dakota has 392 suregrip, exhaust system & computer and is really a quick truck. Whay amazes me about the 3500 is the boost from the turbo comes on VERY early and I mean this truck feels like it wants to jump off the pavement. I suppose I need to get a few thousand miles on it and do a time trial to actually see how it goes. With 400 miles I don't want to thrash on it totally. I was always very impressed-w-the powerstroke once the turbo got going but the Ram is in a whole other league. I have a Challenger T/A also and I can compare (not speed wise)the two outboard carbs comming in to the turbo comming in on the 3500. It is pure testosterone jubilation and an experience no man should go to the grave without.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:24 PM

and you'll get much better fuel economy too
Old 01-11-2004, 01:09 AM

All I can say is that a Quad Cab 1500 4x4 with the Hemi and 5 speed auto tranny can run the 1/4 mile in the upper 14s to low 15s in stock form.

So if you can get into the low 14s and whoever your racing leaves their 1500 Hemi stock, you'll beat him in the 1/2 mile. I have a pretty good feeling you might be able to win with a EZ or Bull Dog.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:20 AM

Re: gotta race an 04 Hemi 4X4-need help

Originally posted by ppsi
My new 04 3500 CTD 2WD QC single rear axle Ram has to race an 04 Hemi Ram 1500 QC 4X4 in March. I need advice on how much $ I need to spend to win (if any!). Anyone know the numbers on the Hemi-vs-CTD? 2nd place is not an option.
Thanks all

What are you .. 16??
Old 01-11-2004, 10:43 AM

Kayjh - actuall I am 46. What are you... 105?? I am young at heart though so I have to ask. This question you ask, is it an insult to this quest of mine or is it an insult to me? If so I am really disappointed and would be gald to discuss your problem in CA or here but my job at the Post Office prohibits me from having direct contact with other human beings. Seriously though are all those putting performance upgrades immature? Would you not agree that the majority of those at the track are well over 16? Anyway it looks like I bit off more than I can chew by agreeing to race this Hemi as it does not seem possible to best him in the 1/4 mile w/o too many upgrades. We will race anyway and I imagine there will be some that are suprised at the performance of the CTD.
Kayjh - Jesus loves you and so must I.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: gotta race an 04 Hemi 4X4-need help

Originally posted by kayjh
What are you .. 16??
-Steve
Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 AM

This reminds me of the kid on here with his 03 CTD who swears he dusted a BMW on the freeway. Everyone over the age of 18 that read that laughed themselves silly.

To dust a hemi in a drag race your going to have to spend some major bucks. New computer chip, new turbo, HUGE injectors, tuned exhaust. Even then there is no guarantee. To make it more fair you may want to consider a reace where you are at the 1/8th mile mark before the Hemi launches.

Lots of luck.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Re: gotta race an 04 Hemi 4X4-need help

Originally posted by kayjh
What are you .. 16??
i'm actually eleventeen mentally at times.

Hey maybe you were asking if he was running a 16 in the quarter? Yeah thats it.
Nothing is unattainable. A Ram with a Cummins can beat a Hemi if you want it to.

For now I would suggest that you say this..."Lets race stock in the 1/4 and pulling a trailer on a grade. Then lets BOMB our trucks to whatever we want and do it again later in the year."

I really like those challenges that the GM dudes have with that hill pull. Only downside is all of my emails got the returned recpt but no reply when I wanted to enter my 01 Ram in Montana for that test. I think they was a skeered of me.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:47 PM

Im thinking one of these would show him whose boss with a few tranny upgrades. That would give you like 1100 ft lbs of torque and 455hp all in that little box ! Id say he might not want to talk about another race anytime soon if you added that.

Here is the link:
http://www.tstproducts.com/powermaxcr.htm

Eric
Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Car and Driver

My latest issue of Car and Driver shows a 1/2 Ton Hemi auto 4x4 clocking in at 16.2@86mph. If that's reasonably accurate it wouldn't take a lot of $$ to go faster than that, even with a 6-speed. I put an EZ box on my shortbed 4x2 and turned a 15.7@93mph using all 6 gears in Spokane last fall, but that one's a fast track.

Vaughn

Quick Reply: gotta race an 04 Hemi 4X4-need help