3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Got another recall notice for the "back-up alarm"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OOPS
The longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up.

x2 (mustbetencharacters)
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM

I use my mirrors when backing up my 30 foot TT or when using my 8 ft utility trailer. I can see alot more in the mirrors then I can by hanging out the door. If you feel you have to open your door you can do so as long as you keep a little pressure on you brake pedal. Any pressure on the brakes will prevent the horn from blowing.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oilguy
Backing is not the issue with me... It is hooking up a trailer early in the morning... Sometimes if I am about an inch back or forward... I open the door and push the brake with the left hand and put the truck in gear with the right and let is move an inch and then put it back in park.... Or at night I will set the parking brake while the truck in in R so I have the lights...
Is that dangerous?? Yeah... if you are stupid about it... but then so is driving in general >> With or without a trailer.
Wow, I hope your joking about either of these procedures. There is no way I would get between a unmaned running truck in reverse and a trailer. If the truck would cycle to a high idle you would find a 7000 pound unstoppable vehicle heading for your legs. The emergency brakes would be useless compared to the CTD torque.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:41 AM

I don't think it'll go into high idle while in gear.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:34 PM

I too, like to back up with the door open only when hooking up my gooseneck or TT. When you only need that little extra 1/2 inch and you do it by yourself. That horn has got to go!!! I have dis-abled my seat belt alarm as directed in the owners manual but that darn horn still blast's backing up. Not good hooking up your rig in the early morning in a crowded campground. HOW CAN I DISABLE THIS????
Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by jvantreese
Wow, I hope your joking about either of these procedures. There is no way I would get between a unmaned running truck in reverse and a trailer. If the truck would cycle to a high idle you would find a 7000 pound unstoppable vehicle heading for your legs. The emergency brakes would be useless compared to the CTD torque.
Not at all... megafast is right... No Highidle in gear....
When you are working by yourself you have to figure out a few tricks... Like I said... I am not stupid about how I work... I do use my head >>> There are plenty of things out there that are a lot more dangerous than how I hook up to my trailer at night... Like Aggies on the road in College Station at night!!! Now that is dangerous!