3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Good amount of smoke from under the hood.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good amount of smoke from under the hood.

This is on dads truck.
06 Maga 4x4 auto with Ebrake. 95k-98k on it.
He is camping, pulled 5er camper to Key Largo, down there now.
Started the truck at the campgound lot of smoke from under the hood, shut it down.
Looked it over, checked it out, can not see anything, smell was like rubber, maybe a belt but could have been oil. The shut down was as soon as he seen it.

After looking it over, checking it out.

Fired it up, sounds OK, dash shows OK, no codes.

What to do?
What could it be, he is to old to pull the belt and look, but did look at it the best he could with a light.
No leak from waterpump, but could that stick?
PS is working fine.
other pulleys?

Any help would be great.......
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Not real sure where to start on that one. I've only had smoke come out from under my hood twice. 1st time is when the blow off valve went on the a/c compressor and 2nd time is when I blew a heater hose. Both had significant smoke but they were not "rubber" in nature. Any sounds he might have heard at this time?

Also did he physically see "smoke" or a possibility of a large amount of dust being blown up from the fan?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM

rubber kind of smell and seen it.

I ask him, "what did you hear" what? "What did you hear? anything that sounded like a belt squeal," what? then I YELLED.......... Did not hear anything.....
Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM

If it was instant start-up with smoke I'm at a loss. If it might have ran a few seconds and then started smoking I might say possibly a siezed up a/c compressor but you say everything is working normally now. Wish I could be of more help to you GADGET but I'm stumped.

If everything seems to be working properly I'd say run it but it's Dad's truck and Dad's call and I don't wanna be the one to blame if something happens 50 miles down the road.....I know how dads can be....."Dang you boy , why did you tell me to drive it? You knew something was wrong with it !!!!!" Yeah, I've been there and done that, don't wanna do it again!

Hope someone can help you out on this one. Good luck to your Dad. Keep us posted if find whats wrong with it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM

instant start-up with smoke from what he said, that has me thinking the belt.

Lot of sand and wind down there. Could the a bearing on one of the pulleys.
It has the air pump for the E-brake so I don't know if they use extra pulleys other then the pump.

He is going to see if he can drive it a little around there to check it out.
Then take it to dodge and have them check the belt and pulleys.
Not really many places or much of a place to get anything done down there from what he said.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
It almost had to be the belt slipping, Check the belt tensioner pulley for rust in the front of the bearing and also for squareness from the side. The bearings in these tend to give out. If it looks ok the AC compressor has a bearing for the front pulley, this bearing only comes into play if the AC compressor clutch is NOT engaged. So if this bearing is on it's way out you would never notice it if the AC compressor was running and because it's hot down there the compressor may run a long time. To check this bearing turn off the AC.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. GADGET
rubber kind of smell and seen it.

I ask him, "what did you hear" what? "What did you hear? anything that sounded like a belt squeal," what? then I YELLED.......... Did not hear anything.....

No data there, I see.

Need someone able to find the burned belt and figure out what burned it. Odds are good that someone also be able to hear a bad bearing.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Now now.....he's just an honest guy trying to help out his dad....I feel his pain...been there and done that....no need for remarks like that! He said his dad's getting old and can't do much wrenching anymore. We're all here trying to help him out!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the vacuum pump tried to lock up because of moisture. you need to change to a bd. and a little humor with helping is fun.