3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

good all around daily driver set up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good all around daily driver set up...

Alright guys, well I decided I am keeping my truck through my tour in Iraq so now I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with it. I have been reading alot of posts of this board and other boards trying to get a good bit of info on a good set up.

Alright first off, I do not tow with this truck on a daily or weekly basis. If I ever tow it might be the occasional camper or trailer with quads or a bike on it. So I am not looking to center around towing. Second, I will be driving this truck daily so I am not looking for something that has to destroy the dyno.

I am looking to upgrade the following. I would like to upgrade to a little bit bigger turbo. I have been reading alot of people have been having good luck with the II silver 62's but I noticed alot of people mention the HTT's as well. I want to add some new sticks, but nothing like 200Hp sticks. I am really lost in the sauce when it comes to aftermarket sticks so I need some advice on those. I will add a box combo (ie Smarty and mp8 or something along those lines). Also what type of trans mods do you recommend to hold these combos, I am pretty positive the TC and shafts gotta be changed but I am pretty lost with that setup as well.

Thats basically it, I ordered all my gauges last week and I also got the AFE stage II along with the CAT delete to help flow. I am fixing to leave for Iraq so this is not a setup that is going to be completed in the next month or so. I will gradually order piece by piece. I am just looking for some opinions. I dont really have a set goal on power numbers. I have been reading alot about this stuff but I am still a beginner when it all boils down. Again, I am not looking for a 11 second truck or a truck that can pull 15k and keep low EGT's its basically a daily driven truck that I just want to have fun with every now and then on the highway. Any suggestions are appreciated and thankyou for your time. BTW, it is a 07 with the 5.9L.

This site is by far the most knowledgable that I have found, so I look forward to learning a little bit in your guys opinions and suggestions.

Kyle
Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned

goerands or DTT:

at least...
TC
VB
Input
Flexplate

GDP Comp fuel system

MPI twins

Stage 2 Pump

Studs

Gauges

5" exhaust

don M sticks...

that is what i would do if i were looking to do what you are

brett
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Tranny, exhaust, programmer, intake, sps64, mild injectors,fass, and some gauges=10k and you be good with 500hp!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 PM

do you guys recommend buying a whole transmission already complete or piecing part by part from differant companies?

The twin idea sounds good but I think it might be a little bit of a jump for me. I have noticed alot of guys going from twins back to larger singles. Although I see the silver 62 is costing around 2k would it be wiser for me to go with twins as opposed to just taking the next step into a little bigger single, and if I stayed single is the 62/14 better off for a daily driver as opposed to something like the 64/14?

Also with the sticks. I hear the Machs are great sticks but I dont know which ones to really look at. Originally I was looking at the Industrial Injection ones that I have read about. However theres so many differant HP ratings that I honestly dont know which ones to look at that would be more beneficial and not really "overkill".

Sorry guys for all the noob sounding questions, I am trying to learn what I can when I can but some of this stuff is really complicating sometimes...haha.

Thanks guys!

Kyle
Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Guess I will be a little here, what is wrong with "Bone Stock”. That is what mine is and it does what I want it to just fine. Oh, I did de-badge it, when they want to pay me for advertising I will put them back on!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by OOPS
Guess I will be a little here, what is wrong with "Bone Stock”. That is what mine is and it does what I want it to just fine. Oh, I did de-badge it, when they want to pay me for advertising I will put them back on!!!!!!!
nothing is wrong with bone stock, I like the way mine is now. However after going to dyno events and sled pulls and other diesel gatherings, I have shifted from the whole lift it phase and now I am hooked on the tuning phase. You are correct though, the stock truck does just fine for what I use it for, the itch has caught me though... haha.