3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Getting severely disgusted with dealers & service

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting severely disgusted with dealers & service

On top of all the other items local dealer did & didn't do went to use my high idle today and it didn't work. It appears that dealer reflashed truck and somehow disabled fast idle. I refuse to pay for it again so guess I will have to go back and argue with them again. I did print out the TSB in case they don't know how to do it which wouldn't surprise me.

Also as to my questioning the clean/clear oil I am feeling better, it's starting to get dark like it should be.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very very hard to find a good Dodge dealer were I am from in Ohio , I have tried many and when you think you can't find one worse then the last one they do the impossible and do something even dumber . The warranty on these trucks is not worth the paper it is wrote on . I would much rather they gave me a big discount and shove it were the sun don't shine . At the price we paid for these trucks you would think they could afford some schooling in the shop . I hate to say it but if things don't improve a lot this may be my last Dodge at least new one .
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 PM

I myself have been having issues with the dealerships service departments. That's why I try to do most maintenance myself. But when an issue does come up their expert technicians never seem to perform up to the high standards of quality work. Not all mechanics (technicians) are all bad, but there is that 95% that are horrible and don't know there job. I also ask the dealer about the high idle being enabled and they looked at me like what are you talking about. This is the technician. These technicians are not being informed about what is going on or they aren't digging to find more what is out there. It's simple, Knowledge is Power, get the job done, know what your doing, know more than the average technician, will lead to great customer service.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM

It is amazing isn't it.
I just had a new LP installed I asked them about the new style LP for 2nd gen. they looked at me like I had three heads.

I later see that they did put the new style in. Makes you feel real good they know what they are doing.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes doing the flash will require a "re-set" of the high idle enable. I'm guilty as charged on that one.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, what j-body said!

I didn't think about it, until I got my truck home & went to cool it down...no hi idle. Called 'em up, took it back the same day & the enabled it while I waited!

Tony
Old 08-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I buy a vehicle and hope I never set foot into the dealership again. The only time I come back is for warranty stuff and I'm relieved when the warranty runs out. The salesmen are either one step into or out of prison and do not know their products. The service departments are there to steal from you by adding repairs that are unnecessary. They over charge for repairs that are sometimes not even done. There are hundreds of horror stories about that here.

Dealers are there to take your money and make you feel like you actually did something good for your truck.

Find a reputable local shop or do it yourself.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a local dealer very near me, small town dealer, was honest as day was long. Not always the best deals but service was good and fair. Had quite a bit of work done there and never worried about what I was charged and it was right. Owner died, big conglomerate bought it and proceded to run it into the ground in slightly over one year. They couldn't understand why no one came to buy or get service after going there for 1 trip. Friend that was a mechanic there told me that new owners required mechanics to "Sell" $100-200 worth of services and parts to each client or they were on the carpet at the end of the week. He quit after being told he didn't do his part on a warranty repair on a car with 900 miles on it and he didn't try to sell them anything. Kinda tells you where our "Friendly Auto Dealers" are trying to make a buck and help inflate their bottom line a little. He also informed me that many of the dealerships now have quotas for the mechanics to sell on parts & service items.

Just another reason to avoid the dealer at all costs.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:07 PM

I worked for dealers for several years and it always the same at the techs end. They are stealing from them and they cant afford to hire a good tech and if they do they have one and ten that should not change oil. Man they edit up oil changes so often. I have seen so many techs keep the filter and throw oil only. I wil not go with a dodge again cause I have yet to find a dealer to cover what they sold in waranty. I assume we cant name names on here to help others keep from having the same issues. DC should have a class action for be incapable of managing there warantty repairs. To date they have stolen $ 230.00 not including labor. One for a defective hvac consol and the weather stripping they never could get me in to install. I suppos on an engine repair I will document the needs through 3 other estimates and hit the dealer owners up in court if I am not real happy I dont know. Come on guys lets put together a plan to get what they have to give us. We need a way to make it much cheaper to fix our stuff than to screw us!!!

Last edited by wannadiesel; 08-20-2006 at 10:58 AM. Reason: site rules violation
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by marksman
I worked for dealers for several years and it always the same at the techs end. They are stealing from them and they cant afford to hire a good tech and if they do they have one and ten that should not change oil. Man they f#*k up oil changes so often. I have seen so many techs keep the filter and throw oil only. I wil not go with a dodge again cause I have yet to find a dealer to cover what they sold in waranty. I assume we cant name names on here to help others keep from having the same issues. DC should have a class action for be incapable of managing there warantty repairs. To date they have stolen $ 230.00 not including labor. One for a defective hvac consol and the weather stripping they never could get me in to install. I suppos on an engine repair I will document the needs through 3 other estimates and hit the dealer owners up in court if I am not real happy I dont know. Come on guys lets put together a plan to get what they have to give us. We need a way to make it much cheaper to fix our stuff than to screw us!!!
For starters quit bombing the trucks.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I pulled the seat out of my truck to fix the springs underneath. I reinstalled it to find that when I plugged it back in the computer thought I had rolled the truck and locked the front seatbelts. I took it to the dealer and they said the only way to fix it is to replace the seat belts. $600 later they were "fixed". I then joined DTR and read where all they needed to do was to disconnect the batteries for an hour, and reset the puter. There is even an easier way something about holding the cig lighter in and turning on the key. Why didn't the service "experts" know this? This is standard with ALL Dodge trucks, not just CTD's.

I sued them in small claims court and won. Got all my money back and a letter from the dealer on why they did what they did. I turned the letter over to the Nebraska Attorney General.

Every time I go to the dealer for whatever, I always stand in the middle of the lobby with a salivating young salesman and tell the story VERY LOUD so everyone will hear it.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 AM

I feel your pain

I'm not going to crack all dealerships . . . but I've had the same experience with some dealerships here in Kansas City. Couple quick stories (pm me if you want to know what dealerships these are associated with): I thought the lift pump (or transfer pump or inline pump or whatever you want to call it) was going out on my truck so I call the dealership and get the service manager. I explain what I am talking about to him and tell him that I believe the life pump needs to be replaced. I couldn't hear it cycle and I though it might have completely gone out so I asked him if I should tow it in. The service manager said not to worry about it, that a lot of guys can go another 100,000 miles and not have a problem!?! I asked him if that would put undue pressure on the VP44 since it's not made to draw the fuel up, which is why there's a lift pump and he said it should not affect the VP44. I was almost speechless.

Another time, on the sales side of things, I was shopping the dealerships to find the exact truck I wanted. I was purchasing under an employee purchase number so price wasn't as huge of a concern from dealer to dealer. I'm not saying this next statement to brag, but it bears importance on this - I'm 25, own a house, boat, car and truck (all are paid off but the house) and make low six figures. I drive my car down to this delarship down south and start looking at trucks. I was wearing some of my weekend jeans and t-shirt and a pair of hunting boots. The truck salesman comes up to me, looks at me and asks if I need any help. I tell him that I'm trying to find a specific truck. He says the don't have any exactly like that and I probably wouldn't want one if I knew what they cost. I say okay, show me what you think I want. He begins with the "are you just wasting my time and can't afford this truck" line. I tell him that I'm serious about buying a truck - they my current truck is on the lot being sold as we speak and I will be buying as soon as I find a truck I like. I was getting that "this kid is wasting my time vibe" and says to me, "How's your credit? Lets go see if you'll be able to get financing first." I turned around, got back in my car and drove back up north and bought a truck that afternoon (the one I was looking for). Incredible.

Thomas
Old 08-20-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership in Janesville WI has been super with me. I just got done with a major repair, all covered under warranty. The #2 piston rod went out after 12.8k miles. The asked me about my gauges. I explained how I wanted them for towing, they never said another word. They even got me a gasser quad cab to drive and they even paid the extra $66 bucks for towing. Donhov it might be a long haul for you, but try the place here. Just my 0.02