3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Getting Ready For Cold Trip To Colorado (What To Prepare?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Ready For Cold Trip To Colorado (What To Prepare?)

Well since the construction industry in my part of Texas has seemed to shut down lately, I decided I would bid on a big project in Aspen Colorado... Turns out, I actually got it... So, within about a month or two I will be leaving the Texas 50* winter and heading to the side of a very cold mountain in Aspen.

My question is this: Are there things (ie fluids etc.) that I need to change before leaving the warmth of Texas and entering the deep freeze? I'm sure this sounds like a silly question for those of you who live in cold climates but I am having to have some of my chemicals (for the job) blended special for the cold temps and high elevation and it just got me wondering.

BTW, the truck that we will be taking is the 06 listed in my sig.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhhh, I live on the Western Slope. Don't do anything different to the truck than when I lived in Phoenix. Gear oil is still 75W90, motor oil is still 15W40. Carry a can of 911 fuel treatment in case you get a bad load of fuel when it's -20deg, get some decent tires and run them as soft as you can stand it in the winter.
Fuel is blended for the winter. Plug it in at night if you don't have a garage (it'll still start if it's not plugged in, just colder).
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 AM

For cold weather in any vehicle a 5W oil is always better than a 15W. A good portion of engine wear occurs during first start, as the engine builds pressure. A lighter oil works faster, and prevents that wear. The engine will sound the same, and probably start the same, as it would with a 15W oil. But you'll get less wear.

Aspen gets almost no sun in the winter - it's on the north side of the mountain. It's always difficult to get the ice off the windows in the morning. Consider getting one of those 12V cube heaters for the dash.

If you don't have the Dodge radiator cover, get one.

If you havn't changed or checked your antifreeze level in a while, do it now.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM

My manual mentions a lighter weight oil in the winter, but it's like if it was-20* or something. You wont experience prolonged temps that cold in Aspen. Enjoy the beauty of the area...hope you added the extra cost of EVERYTHING in Aspen to your bid!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

don't know if you have a block heater-if not, get one,
Grid heaters-make sure they are happy & running.

Engine Oil-lighter the better. Don't worry about gear oils or tranny ect. You don't even need to change your engine oil if you don't want to-it will only help to bring the oil pressure up quicker.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Cube heater for dash? What is it and where do i get one? (keep in mind it is cold to me when it gets below about 45* here so I'm not familiar with these new fangled cold devices...)

Block heater? Do you think this will be necessary for the length of my stay? It should only be a month at a time at most and only in 2-3 trips.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

Length of stay is relative to how cold your engine gets. If you shut off your truck and it freezes solid-(which could only take 6hrs ) you will want some way of warming it up.

It might start-might not. I suppose if it does get that cold-just leave it running if you are worried about it.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by NEWagain

Cube heater for dash? What is it and where do i get one? (keep in mind it is cold to me when it gets below about 45* here so I'm not familiar with these new fangled cold devices...)

Block heater? Do you think this will be necessary for the length of my stay? It should only be a month at a time at most and only in 2-3 trips.

You will probably need to get the block heater cord from the dealer.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 AM

As a more cost effective alternative to the dealer, get the block heater cord from your local Cummins dealer or Geno's.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cube heater for dash

I think northerntool carrys the 12v dash ceramic heater

From what I understand, all trucks have the engine heater but not all trucks have the cord for the heater. As one guy said, go to geno's garage and order one up for your truck if you do not have one.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by NEWagain

Diesel engines take a long time to heat up; they're just too efficient. You can't just use a remote stasrter and let it idle for 6 minutes and expect the windshield to be clear. Works on a gas truck, but not diesel.

A Cube Heater is a simple electric/ceramic heater that plugs into a 12V outlet. Doesn't heat up the truck much, but it can quickly defrost the windshield. http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo....to-heater.html

I bought my block heater cable from e-bay for about $13 shipped. Installation was pretty simple. I used my block heater last winter, with temps down to about 5-10*F. It was helpfull, that's about all I can say about it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I will add all of this to my "to do" punch list before leaving.