3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

G56 Leaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 04:20 PM
Ace
Banned

No, show me a dealer that stocks everything.

The correct answer is "sorry sir, but those are on backorder. Can we put you down for one and call you as soon as it gets in?"
Old 02-28-2009 | 04:27 PM

Well, it's neither here nor there as to what's up with the dealers, just in need of a shifter boot! Ultimately, I don't want to just go back with the same boot unless they've made a change to improve it. Does anyone have any idea of an aftermarket boot that will work for this?

Surely someone knows a part number or something?

Thanks again
Old 03-02-2009 | 08:09 AM

Surely someone can give me some info on this?!
Old 03-02-2009 | 09:18 AM
Banned

try this 5191985aa
Old 06-15-2009 | 12:23 AM

Hunter Dodge in Lancaster, Ca. quoted me $103.00 for this part...I told 'em I didn't want it GOLD PLATED!!!!!! They must be NUCKING FUTS!!!!!

A poster on the other forum I frequent tells me that he used a CV joint boot; that it fit like a glove....but just try to get a parts guy to cooperate with you trying to select one.

At these prices I'm tempted to take a crack at injection-molding urethane.
Old 06-15-2009 | 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
Where was teh oil dripped at? I have a small wetness on the bellhousing but not enough to drip yet. I can't tell if its tranny fluid or engine oil.
I have the same dripping at the bell housing but the fluid is clear, not red or brown, the slave cylinder is not empty. do you have any pics of this leak?
Old 06-15-2009 | 10:14 AM

Both mine and a friends truck are leaking, so he had a great idea. Replace it with a boot off a cv axle. Just go to napa or a atv parts place and pick up a new boot in the right sizes, 2 and 3/4" for the bottem and 3/4" for shifter if I remember right. I know a cv boot won't tear like the factory junk, even in really cold or hot temps. Cheap easy fix.
Old 06-15-2009 | 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by northernwheeler
Both mine and a friends truck are leaking, so he had a great idea. Replace it with a boot off a cv axle. Just go to napa or a atv parts place and pick up a new boot in the right sizes, 2 and 3/4" for the bottem and 3/4" for shifter if I remember right. I know a cv boot won't tear like the factory junk, even in really cold or hot temps. Cheap easy fix.
Thanks for the great idea from both you guys! I'll be finding a CV boot to replace mine with! Any idea on what vehicle the boot was for that you guys put on your trucks? Or do you happen to have a part #? I think for everyones' future reference it would be good to know a vehicle or part #. And yes, I'm looking for the easy way out!
Old 06-15-2009 | 12:15 PM

I will check with my friend, see if he still has the part number. I believe it was for an ATV application.
Old 06-16-2009 | 11:10 AM

Sorry, no part number, and I checked with Napa, and they are no help either.
Old 06-24-2009 | 10:35 AM

Just go to autozone and ask for a universal polyurethane cv boot kit..

11 bucks. You will need 2 hose clamps too, one big and one small..

My 06 has 200k on it.. I did this mod at 75k and it has never leaked since..

Carey
Old 07-14-2009 | 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Colo~Dirtbikers
Just go to autozone and ask for a universal polyurethane cv boot kit..

11 bucks. You will need 2 hose clamps too, one big and one small..

My 06 has 200k on it.. I did this mod at 75k and it has never leaked since..

Carey
Well it wasn't quite $11 but instead $30. Universal CV boot kit. I guess they were out of the el cheapo model. Oh well, here it is:

We'll see how it holds up.
Old 07-14-2009 | 09:55 PM

Vw rabbit outer boot is 2 7/8 321-498-203 with the clamp it comes with im sure it would fit 2 3/4
Old 08-06-2009 | 01:33 PM

EMPI lists a CV boot, #86-2398 which is listed as the outer CV boot for a 2000-2005 Honda Insight; the specs page looks good. Now I just have to try to find one. The shift tower, BTW, measured 2.800" on mine.
Old 08-08-2009 | 11:22 AM

Update: the Insight boot, EMPI #86-2398 (which is also the number molded into Car Quest #85-1413) is slightly larger at the base cuff; however, after cutting the original boot's bellows off just above the "lip" the steel ring with its RTV coating fits well just inside the cuff. If you pookie it into the cuff with a little red RTV till the "lip" snaps into the first corrugation of the CV boot and smear a coat of RTV inside the ring, press in place, and use the clamping strap provided with the boot (a wormgear hose clamp will deform the boot, making the seal questionable) and be sure to clamp the top cuff to the lever stub where it retains the original boot(there is a ridge at that point) with a hose clamp; here a wider clamp should help to hold the boot in compression so it won't try to slip off the tower. To prevent the upper clamp from chafing a hole in the top of the boot I clamped some 20-mil pipe wrap under the clamp to protect the boot from the screw head---if you try this boot you'll see what I mean.

khsjeepr's boot clamps to the lever much higher up than mine, and his may just last the life of the vehicle---I'm not knocking his repair skills. I'd like to know, however, if his tower boot rubs the floor boot and will the constant rubbing chafe a hole in either boot; I was a little concerned that this could be an issue so I compressed mine nearly flat, which also raises another question: will the compression of the boot cause the trans to jump out of gear? Guess I'm gonna have to find out.

For a temporary repair I had used a 3" pneumatic damper actuator diaphragm(being in the HVAC trade, I had a few lying around) with a hole punched in the end to stretch around the lever. Some electrician's tape was also used and a couple of zipties...in a month's time the ATF had eaten up the adhesive from the tape and attacked the rubber of the diaphragm, leaving a torn, leaking, gooey mess...Mickey-Mousing in a pinch may get you home, but don't let it go longer than you have to...I didn't expect this temporary repair to turn out this ugly in this short of time.

And maybe the AutoZone stores in Colorado have a better selection of universal urethane CV boots than we do here, 'cause the only kind our local 'Zone sells is a glue-together split boot...I tried that one, it wasn't pretty...thirty bucks for an effort that I'd post in the FAIL thread if I could remember how to use my Photobucket account. The Car Quest boot kit was $12.50, tax included, and is a one-piece Neoprene boot.

For anyone wishing to select a CV or rack & pinion boot, that needs spec drawings, illustrations and dimensions, the EMPI catalog is actually quite helpful---look it up under "empius".

http://www.empius.com/

Quick Reply: G56 Leaker