3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

G56 Leaker

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007 | 04:54 PM

G56 Leaker

Guys, if you have G56 trans and are seeing a little leakage from it check this out. Mine started leaking right after the 3 /36 warranty was up. While getting some work done at the dealer the tech noticed the leak, and had the trans expert give a diagnosis. Since the leak was coming from the top of the trans he said it was the shift tower seal. I agreed and left it at that cause it wasn't leaking bad. I stopped by the parts department at my dealer and tried to find this seal and it doesn't exist so we figured it is just RTV sealed. Today I pulled the interior apart and found the problem, it is not the shift tower seal, it is the shifter boot. It is made from very thin rubber and it had a tear in it. I called for parts and found out this part is on national back order! Tried another dealer just to keep the first one honest and got the same info. Well red neck engineering will have to suffice, I got some balck RTV and "mended" the tear. I am waiting for it to cure while I write this. I have attached some pics of the culpret. Sorry about the crappy quality pics.
Attached Thumbnails G56 Leaker-shiftboot1.jpg   G56 Leaker-shiftboot2.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007 | 08:35 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Mine has a larger boot that wraps partially up the stick under the leather boot. It acts more like a sound deadener as it wraps the lower part stick tightly. Is yours the same and just out of the picture? I haven't seen a leak yet. 47K now.

Chris
Old 11-19-2007 | 11:21 PM

Yup, actually 2 more boots. The bigger rubber one and the faux leather interior trim piece. That little orange rubber one keeps the tranny all nice and sealed. It looks to me like it was torn during installation, because there is nothing near it that could tear it once assembled.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:22 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Thanks, haven't pulled that one up yet. did you get any smell before you saw the leak?

Chris
Old 10-02-2008 | 09:43 PM

I just had the same thing happen to me. Only mine has two holes, one on each end of the stick. The photo below shows the one on the engine side of the stick. I'm surprised to find that this is the only thread on the subject on the whole WS. I too had to redneck engineer the thing until a replacement arrives.

This really ticks me off, only 60K on my truck.

Old 10-02-2008 | 10:36 PM

That is probab;y whats wrong with mine i have seen some seapage hear latley and a rediculus smell of atf in the cab, gona pull all the gear around it and look tommorow, how hard is the stuff around the shifter to take off?
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:47 PM

these all seem to be on '05-'06 trucks, the same years that there were problems with g56 leaks due to them being hauled around with forklifts while uncrated.

even if you're out of warranty, Dodge should take care of this on their dime.
Old 10-03-2008 | 12:56 AM

Where was teh oil dripped at? I have a small wetness on the bellhousing but not enough to drip yet. I can't tell if its tranny fluid or engine oil.
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:43 AM

I've seen those boots tear like that a few times now - usually just +4 aroma is all that escapes... I kinda like the smell (makes the day go by a little slower).
Old 10-03-2008 | 01:42 PM

Mine did the same thing! At first I thought the case was leaking, but when I did my clutch I found the torn boot. My local "dealer"-ship wanted like $35 for the thing so I told ‘em to pound sand and I RTV’ed it. The thing is so thin that I figured I new one would just leak too. At least oil is getting to the top of the trans.
Old 10-03-2008 | 08:50 PM

When this happened I had about 30K miles on the truck. The dealer replaced the seal under warranty and it has not leaked since. I now have 78K miles and rolling.
Old 10-04-2008 | 08:18 AM

i tore mine when i swapped clutches...i got it after a few weeks and put it on
Old 02-28-2009 | 12:53 PM

Well evidently I have entirely too much faith in my truck because I just finished installing a Southbend OFE clutch and IGNORED others' advice of telling me to have a replacement top shifter boot on hand. Anyways, just as everyone else, my top shifter boot is torn. I went ahead and put it all back together, but now I'm looking to find a replacement boot.

I called the dealer, and they said they don't stock that part. Does anybody have the part number for this seal or know of a place I can order one online?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: All the planets must have been in alignment because when we went to stab the tranny, we got it on the first try! It was an incredible moment! This was with transfer case attached too... Total install time - 6.5 hours. I'm now rocking a new Southbend OFE!
Old 02-28-2009 | 02:32 PM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by khsjeepr
I called the dealer, and they said they don't stock that part.
Translation: We don't like to help people that work on their own trucks.
Old 02-28-2009 | 03:59 PM

No, none of them have them because they are always on back order.

Quick Reply: G56 Leaker