3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Funny sound! Accell or Decell!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Funny sound! Accell or Decell!

I'm on the second CTD truck and the first didn't make this noise. It sounds almost like an "Owl" making a hooting noise starts out quite then a little louder then gets quite to non-existant, when around 1250 - 1500 RPM's either slowing from 30 to 15 MPH or accellerating from 15 going to 30 MPG..

For those who are into ghosts, it could be a ghost sound verse an owl sound. Take your pic. (no I haven't known of anyone or thing dying in the truck yet so thats out of the question for now)

Has anyone ever heard this, can only hear with the radio and vent motor is "Off". Other wise can't hear it. I seem to think that its something either transmission or brakes related?

Must be transmission, brakes are not on when accellerating! But it seems louder when breaking, prolly because the engine nosie is less from it idling then when accellerating! And all the windows are up and shut when hearing it the best. (doors closed too)

Truck is stock, don't know what the gear is when I notice it, mostly do to such a smooth shifting automatic transmission, and does it hot or cold!!

Thanks,
Gary
Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Several things come to mind. Tires? You may have a belt in one of the tires in the process of coming apart. It could also be ujoints starting to go. Any vibes? Could also be brakes, may have a caliper sticking a little or to much dust in the drums.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PsRumors
Several things come to mind. Tires? You may have a belt in one of the tires in the process of coming apart. It could also be ujoints starting to go. Any vibes? Could also be brakes, may have a caliper sticking a little or to much dust in the drums.

I forgot to mention its a 2005 Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab, long bed, with less than 3,000 miles. Basiclly the truck is brand new. I find the tires in great shape, not a hint of vibrations or anything to make me think they are getting out of round. I find the noise with the brakes on or off. So I don't know of the brakes, I would think that if I heard the noise with them on and took them off and it went away or heard the noise with them off and applied them and it went away it would be the brakes having some influance? But neither are the case! The noise is present all the time with or with out the brakes applied, no change in pitch or loudness when braking or not.

I've heard u-joints in my other trucks and they have always growled or clunked real loud.

This noise is like a bird or owl coo'ing starts hi- pitch low volume, increases in volume slightly and then pitch fades out with a doppler shift kind of thing decreasing in volume as well till you can't hear it anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check them all again (after its not raining out).

Gary
Old 12-26-2005, 01:43 PM
WL.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed that my turbo makes a noise similar to what you are describing, but only when the truck is cold and the temp is cold. Like you said, mine only does it at slower speeds. I dont run it hard when it is cold, until it warms up, and that is when it is noticeable. This is my first winter without the silencer ring, dont know if that is the cause of my noise or not, but everything is running fine.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:47 PM

do a search for hoot owl....you'd be surprised
Old 12-26-2005, 01:50 PM

With the truck in neutral, rev up the engine up and down.....do you still have the noise???

If yes, then that would almost certainly eliminate the tranny.

Try and have someone under the hood, and listen to the turbo when you are doing this. Also, check the intercooler/turbo pipe clamps.

While driving, if you step on the brakes, does it go away??? If not, then more thank likely it is not the brakes hanging up.

I am betting on a howling turbo.....makes the exact noise you are talking about.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 PM

sounds like.....

If this noise is louder on cold mornings it is probably the intermediate (carrier) bearing on the drive shaft. This is a problem on the quadcab/longbed models. The bearing is not lined up right and should be re-placed and re-aligned. Been there, done that.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 AM

Angry

Well this noise is present when the engine is hot or cold, when the weather is hot or cold and with or with out the brakes on or off. Brakes have no effect in nosie, pitch, loudness or occurance. This noise is presenet everytime you accellerate or decellerate through that speed range. Yesterday, on this posts suggestion I put in "N" and reved the engine to a different RPM. That had "NO" effect. Noise still present. I'm of the opinion that its in the rear someplace, and if its the ring/pinion, carrier bearing or an intermediate bearing assembly on the shaft those are to be determined! But its pointing that direction for sure.

I am so reluctant to take the truck into the dealer. See, this is my second truck this year. The first truck went in to the dealer for its very first oil change. The 3K was free at the dealer. I brought it in and waited on it. Well the guy on the oil rack. He put it on a single ram lift, the one which looks like an "H" on the top with the outrigging arms which swing in and out and that have the frame perches that flip up and around both for the front and the rear of the vehicle.

This was all well and good when raising the 2500 up and doing the change. But lowing it was a different story. The guy had only put the tops of the perches in the center of the frame up front. Not put the frame centered into the NOTCH of the perches. So when the truck came down and the sweep in the floor would catch the ram cylinder as it went into the floor. The entire thing would stop. That would cause a weight shift to the rear, the frame rails came off of the top of the perches the and the rear weight shif cause the out rigging arms to open to the out sides of the vehicle and then the counter weight shift cased the vechicle to come down on top of the perches right which were right under the "body" under the doors. The weight of the vehicle dug the purches up under the doors and into the doors and then again, this process repeated.

To the rear the penduim swung, and the arms out again further, this time catching the "Nurf" bars. They went up from the purches like upside down "V's" and then all the weight of the vehicle fell upon the center "H" part of the lift on the skid plate.

Did I mention that the skide plate is for protecting the all electronic "aluminum" automatic transmission and transfer case?

Well, they showed me what has happened. And told me they would make it all right. I said that I would like to see the General Manager (GM). I was told hes' in a meeting. I told the service manager that I wanted a new truck and he could tell that to the GM.

Later that evening the GM called an we discussed things . I explained that I had no way of assertaining that the dealer would have libility in the future when the tranny and transfer case or any other drive line items were going bad because of this oil change incident, and that the body was sprun on the frame and most likely that the frame was damaged too. I said that I didn't think that he would entertain putting on a new cab, tranny and transfer case then painting it all for a match of the Molten Red/Silver that it was. (beautiful truck it was)

He said that he would do a collateral exchange and replace the truck +/- a grands worth of options either way. I asked about the nerf bars, the radio up grade and the window vents and matt's that I had done to upgrade the truck that they be transfered. The existing loan would remain in place, no money would change hands, no re-financing would be done, just swap, He aggreed.

Now keep in mind that this truck was my wife and I, our 30th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. She was the primary driver becasue her work is less then 2 miles from our house and I drove over 35 miles just one way. The wife is handicaped, and has fallen in love with that last truck.

We waited about a week. End of that model year, not a single Molten Red anyplace, with all the do-hickys and stuff this one had. Tow package, long bed, 4x4, 4.10 locking rear etc... on a quad cab.

This was almost taking us to divorce , she was NOT happy with ANYTHING . I had to have them replace the truck. I was sick of the rentel they gave us, first was a chevy the second was a ford. Both crap compared to the Dodge Diesel. But, they finally found a Mineral Slate Gray/Silver in western part of the state. Had to go drive out get it and bring it back. Put the light package on it, nerf bars, swap radio, matt's and put the window vent things on....

The wife still is not happy. She likes the truck and wants the old one, but knows it can't be had or got back. She is stuck with this one.

I for this reason do NOT want to bring it back to that dealer PERIOD. I'll trade it in for two Jeep Liberty Diesel's in Jan06 if thats what it takes.

Now that ya'll have heard my sorry little story of what happens to your truck when at the dealership, I sure hope that none of you have to go through any of this what we have.

Have a Happy New Year.
Gary