3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Funny noise coming from auto trans (48re)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny noise coming from auto trans (48re)

Any ideas what this might be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeshHqJSRo
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you found the dtr - welcome!

Hopefully the folks here can get you headed in the right direction.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your Torque Converter bolts. Sounds like one or more have worked their way out and are rubbing.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 9812vram
Check your Torque Converter bolts. Sounds like one or more have worked their way out and are rubbing.
I hope it is that easy!

more info...

2005 2wd with 160k

I had some issues with it not downshifting in to 1st at stops a couple years ago. I put a shift kit in it and cleaned out the solenoids which fixed it. I also bought a smarty programmer around that same time.

A year before this happened I went through it with a Dodge dealer tech. He rebuilds trans for a living there. We did it one Sunday at the dealership. Before the quick rebuilt it was shifting and running alright, though I knew the TC in them are junk and I wanted it replaced before it had problems.

So a year ago we took it part and upgraded some stuff and replaced anything that looked bad. After the rebuild it didn't shift from 2nd to 3rd right. Like it was not shifting out of 2nd fast enough causing it to bind. It wasn't real bad but it wasn't right either. I moved right after the rebuild so I didn't have time to bring it back to my friend to look at. My friend said I may need to plug something in the valve body.

I had to use the truck to move and put a fair amount of miles on it. Going easy with it. Once I moved it didn't get drove much as I still didn't have room to work on it. Well, I had friend who's car broke down so I towed him on my car hauler. I pulled out in to traffic and had to get on it some. It had issues getting in to 3rd. Like it missed the shift (as if it was a straight drive).

I got him where he needed to go and got home. I unhooked the trailer and took it for a spin to see if it was load related. I got on and it had issues going from 2nd to 3rd. I let off and now it is making the wonderful noise in the video. That was about 5 months ago. I finally have room/a shop to start working on it.

It still goes through the gears and the noise is RPM based.

Here is run down of the parts I was told to order when we rebuilt.

Precision billet front cover dual disc converter.
Code:
Delete    Product    Quantity    Price Each    Total
    #4ED, 48RE / 727,  Brass Impregnated Carbon Fiber Flex Band         $34.00     $34.00
    #K22950K, 48RE,  Overhaul Kit         $63.00     $63.00
    #F9. 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, 47RE  1998 Up, Metal & Plastic Filter Kit         $14.00     $14.00
    #3-618. Superior Diesel Rear Servo  47RH through 48RE         $39.00     $39.00
    #3A4,  Dodge Billet 4 Ring Accumulator Piston         $39.00     $39.00
    #4.  518/618/727 Heavy Duty Intermediate Band Strut         $14.00     $14.00
    #518RED16. Sonnax / Dodge  Intermediate Servo         $73.00     $73.00
You must press the Update Values button after making any changes for those changes to actually occur.
              Sub Total:      
$276.00
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

It sounds like you might have more than one problem... Torque Converters can make a similar sound when they fail in a specific way, but that wouldn't explain the shifting issues. That buzzing noise could be a valve body leak as well, which could explain the shifting issues, but I just wouldn't have guessed it would be that loud.

How's the fluid level? Does it smell burnt at all? Aerated? Do you have access to a code reader that can pick up trans codes?

How mechanically inclined are ya? After checking the converter bolts, I'd be hooking my test gauges up, driving it and checking pressures...

You say it's RPM related - my thoughts are this:
Flex plate, torque Converter (and bolts), oil pump, and input shaft are all rpm related - as well as oil pressure to a degree. Everything else is gear related.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 9812vram
It sounds like you might have more than one problem... Torque Converters can make a similar sound when they fail in a specific way, but that wouldn't explain the shifting issues. That buzzing noise could be a valve body leak as well, which could explain the shifting issues, but I just wouldn't have guessed it would be that loud.

How's the fluid level? Does it smell burnt at all? Aerated? Do you have access to a code reader that can pick up trans codes?

How mechanically inclined are ya? After checking the converter bolts, I'd be hooking my test gauges up, driving it and checking pressures...

You say it's RPM related - my thoughts are this:
Flex plate, torque Converter (and bolts), oil pump, and input shaft are all rpm related - as well as oil pressure to a degree. Everything else is gear related.
Fluid seemed fine when I checked it but that was 5 months ago when it tore up. I am going to pull it around to the garage tomorrow. I'll check it again and check the TC bolts.

I maybe able to get a scan tool but it will be a long shot. I haven't been driving it in fear of making it worse. I shouldn't have a problem working on it. I am pretty handy. I have been working on cars for awhile now.

If I recall right it banged pretty hard when it tore up. I wouldn't be shocked if it caused the flexplate to crack or even if it opened up the TC bolt holes. Like you are saying it maybe a couple of problems. A messed up flexplate would just be the side effect of the shifting problem.

I am pretty sure it is going to have to come out. I am ready for the job. I do have a car in the shop right now waiting on a couple parts to finish up a motor rebuild. I hope it will be finished up this week. Really sucked not having a shop for almost 2 years. Tons of stuff backed up. Ready to have my truck back.

Thanks for the help. I've posted this on a couple forums and I must say you seem to be on target! In line with what my buddy who built it is saying. Here is something he suggested, when it is running stick a water hose in the TC bolt access hole. If the flexplate is broke the water may quite it down pin pointing the issue.

here are some pics from when I did the shift kit.
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showt...Shift-kit-48RE

I did start to cut this on the wrong side but stopped before I got to far. My friend didn't think it would be an issue. It shifted like new after the kit was installed but I'd like to get your opinion.
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/image...90502_0484.jpg
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

I like that water trick - my kinda thinking! It just may work.

That valve you cut into, is that the manual shift valve? I cheated when I did my trans and just installed an ATS towing valve body - I did not take the time to study out they hydraulics of it, but - I think it may be possible that your spool valve is cut far enough in to leak. That would cause shifting issues as the manual shift valve locks out the upper gears. Just a thought, I don't know that one for sure.

As you said, codes are a long shot, but it's easy and a good place to start.

When you say it had issues shifting from 2nd to 3rd, explain that a little more - like it jumped back and forth from 2-3-2-3 kind of thing or it just wouldn't shift? It may be in limp mode.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Banned

Finally got the trans out and on the bench.

Here is a video. Be sure to select 720p high quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqaVqqT7GBc
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

Found noise. The turbo went out while I was test driving the 2nd to 3rd shifting issue. I am guessing when it mis-shifted it caused a surge that the 160k turbo couldn't handle.

I think I will have the shift issue fixed when I get it back in the truck. Now I need to find another turbo.