3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fueling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fueling Problem

Hey Fellas,

Had a problem today with my truck. I was driving home when suddenly the engine died. I checked my drain valve on the fuel filter canister and a puff of air blew out when I opened it. Started right back up again and I made it about 10 seconds and it died again. Well I did this till I got lucky and made it the rest of the way home where it died once again.

What I have concluded from searching thru posts is that since there is evidence that there has been fuel leaking around the top of the canister, it is drawing in air through there. But why now? It has been warmer today than normal. It has to be a big leak somewhere that it can suck that much air so fast aswell. I just changed my filter about 500 mi ago and normally tighten the cap that I can't loosen it by hand. Could this be an indication of a failing pump by any chance?

I don't want to be on the side of the road with the hood up when a ford or chevy drives by!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 PM

Just adding some more details:

Got to working on it tonight, and now it is going no where. I took out the fuel filter, drained the canister empty. Now it doesn't fill up. I don't remember what the pump is supposed to sound like, right now it just sounds like a ticking sound, again not sure if it has air or if it is shot. Can anyone give some insight to this problem?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:44 PM

Sounds like your lift pump has gone bad. You are lucky that you were able to make it home. I remember that when I change my stock filter and need to fill the canister that you try to start it once and then leave the key in the on position. At this point there should be a hissing noise which is the lift pump filling the stock canister. If you are only getting a ticking noise it might be that your pump has gone south of the boarder leaving you up a creak. You should check for warrenty help if you still qualify and if not switch to the aftermarket system. I have heard a lot about these junk stock lift pumps. Fortunately I have not had to deal with it yet (knock on wood ) but when the time comes I am planning to put in an aftermarckt system including the FASS system. It aint cheap, but problems will be at a min after putting up the cash. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have any type of gauges you can take out your fuel filter and turn the key to the on position. If diesel spews everywhere then your lift pump is good. If you don't have fuel coming through then your lift pump isn't functioning properly.