3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Tank Contamination

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still don't trust DC's 'fix'. First off the hose isn't very high so if you go through deep water and there is any negative pressure in the tank guess whats going into the tube...water! The next reason I don't like it is because it still only brings in unfiltered air, if you drive in any kind of a dusty or moist environment you could be getting dust and road mist sucked straight into the vents also...at least they did try to stop it from ingesting whatever gunk pools in the catch basins right at the vent nipples however.

I will post pics of the final product once I get it rigged up. I brought home 7' of 1/4" fuel hose this evening so now I just need to get a filter or 2 and a 1/4" vacuum tee.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may explain why I have had more then one dealership tell me that I may have fuel contamination. All the dealerships I have talked to have stated that Chrysler is not replacing any more injectors unless you can prove that your fuel tank is clean.
To see that more then a few trucks have this situation with open vents on top of the tank makes me wonder if this is Chrysler's way to hide a larger problem.
How many of you guys whom did this mod looked into their tanks to see if their was any dirt/water in side? if you found any was it sediment or actual dirt? Me thinks I need to check my truck this weekend. If found to be the case then Chrysler will be called to my house to explain why the fuel system is open to the atmosphere. Cough cough as the truck wont start due to poor fuel.
If you guys that have found the problem with their trucks would send pictures and perferably ones at the dealership signed by the dealer as being official could forward those to DC. That way we can start to build on a small case against them to have this problem fixed properly and also have the fuel tanks steamed cleaned.

cheers all
Old 01-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All though we all know it's just a fuel line, I thought I would show you DC's offical fix. It's 1/4" x 8". Anyone have a pic of where they put their really long line. Gorden,,,do you have anything you would like to share with the rest of us.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:34 PM

I don't have any really good pics of what I did...and the current fix isn't my permanent fix as I have to install the fuel line I got from work as well as pick up a cheap filter still.

For now I put rubber hose on each fitting and just found a convenient place to put the end inside a frame rail or body hole where it is out of the open and slightly enclosed. Like I said I am likely going to put a ¼” tee to connect the two fittings to one hose and then run one hose up to something near the top of the fuel filler neck area, install a filter in the end with a little piece of hose that curves back down for an inch or two and zip tie it to something.

I will post pics when I get around to finishing it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to be three seperate vents/ valves open on these trucks fuel tanks. The front and rear vent and on some the roll over valve. All of these would be routed to the charcole canister on a gas truck. So the question is why are they open on our trucks? What proper provisions has Chrysler made for this?

The answer I guess is that 8" line which does nothing to actually close the system in. One has to love the enginuety of of design and development of Chrysler. I have gone out to and bought a 2' piece of line and also a filter. Before I inststall it I have to see about what the oficial word from Chrysler on this matter. I have had injector problems and lift pump problems, blamed on dirty fuel.

Cheers all
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
All of these would be routed to the charcole canister on a gas truck. So the question is why are they open on our trucks?
I read somewhere, maybe even on this site, that there was a shortage of diesel tank's and they used gasser tank's to fill the demand. Now weather or not that's true, I couldn't tell you. You know how internet rumor's are.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:41 AM

When I checked mine just after I got it, the vents did not have the tubing, also I'm sure they were both in a depression, I'll have to look again. Mine is a short bed and an 06'.
Will there be any problems with running the tubing up from the tank as far as any humidity condinsating in the tube and running back down into the tank??
Will combining the two 1/4" lines into one tee limit the air flow, shouldn't two 1/4" tubes be feed with a 1/2" opening??
I like the idea of some kind of filter. maby running the tubing up high and then arching it back down a few inches would eleminate any condensation problems and make it easier to changing the filter.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:55 AM

Smile

Did the Kelly vent mod last week. I simply ran a 1/4" fuel line between the 2 barbed fittings. Kelly vent is at the very top of tank, so hooking the 2 together should not be an issue imho.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Henry F. Smith
Did the Kelly vent mod last week. I simply ran a 1/4" fuel line between the 2 barbed fittings. Kelly vent is at the very top of tank, so hooking the 2 together should not be an issue imho.
Your saying that you ran a 1/4" tube from one barb to the other barb? This sounds like it would close them off and the tank will not be vented if the filler cap is ratched down. Dosen't the tank fill vent only work when the fill cap is off??
I'm not sure what the Kelly vent mod is?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by shep1
Your saying that you ran a 1/4" tube from one barb to the other barb? This sounds like it would close them off and the tank will not be vented if the filler cap is ratched down. Dosen't the tank fill vent only work when the fill cap is off??
I'm not sure what the Kelly vent mod is?

I'm not sure what it is either, but from what I understand it's a vent at the top of the tank. I'm sure someone in the know will set us straight.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:55 PM

Tell us Henry.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 PM

Hey Shep,,,,did you see this.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...8&page=1&pp=15