3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Tank Contamination

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, a friend of mine noticed a new 2500 chassis cab the other day as his dealer. It had the short lengths of hose attached to the fittings.

Casey
Old 03-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Thanks Casey. I was curious if the hoses were factory or dealer installed.
Nat
Old 01-15-2006, 06:41 PM

I just went out and checked my truck...I found that both vents were very dirty. I put a hose onto each one and gave it a suck and a blow (sounds bad doesn't it!) and lo and behold air traveled very easily in both directions. For now I put non-oil/fuel rated hose on it just to at least stop it for now but will in the next few days put fuel line with filters of some sort on the ends. I know this is an old thread but thought it would be wise to reserect it as obviously there are dumb people out there like myself who have been slow to check these vents! I will act more quickly next time. I do have pictures if anyone wanted to see them.

As far as capping the lines I wouldn't recommend it as the tank will create a vacuum as fuel is used which will cause the lift pump to have to work harder...and we all know that the lift pumps are very strong right. Therefore my solution will be to put on proper fuel line for starters and the rig in a filter set-up of some sort and tie it into the frame up near the filler neck/cap assy. I will take more pics as I get the project done.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gord,,,,,let's see the pic's.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:32 PM

OK, dumb question but how do you attach images into a post?

I have uploaded the images to my gallery but they are of course awaiting approval. The pictures are after I put the temporary non-fuel rated hose onto the exposed nipples...again both nipples freely allowed the flow of air in both directions...very bad for contaminationa nd you can see how much of the dirt was accumulated around the fittings, not sure how much water has been pooled there but if there was significant water it would definitly allow water and dirt to be sucked into the tank when fuel levels started dropping causing a vacuum. I only have 28,000km (17,400miles) on the truck...but you still gotta wonder how much dirt has been let into the tank?

I will put on proper fuel rated hose as well as some type of filter on the hoses so the tank can still breath but not allow in dirt.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 PM

Go to your gallery, click on the picture to pull it up, scroll down to the bottom where it show's UBBcode, right click and copy, go to reply to a post, click on the little yellow square that say's insert image when you hold your pointer over it, right click and paste, click ok, submit reply, and it should show your pic. God I hope I didn't leave anything out.

Try a practice one, and you can alway's go back and delete it, or change it to the one you want when it get's approved.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 PM

Thanks Bad Rammer Jammer, I kinda figured it had to be in the 'gallery' first.

The rear one is a little fuzzy, I had a hard time holding the camera up there. I was easily able to put the hose on the fittings by just crouching under the truck, the front one I laid/crouched at the front of the fuel tank and just reached from the front of the tank towards the rear to install, the rear fitting was sorta the oposite, I laid/crouched at the rear diff facing the front and reached up between the fuel tank and driveshaft.

There are a couple more pictures in my gallery.

I would highly suggest everyone checks their tanks and does some kind of a mod to stop dirt/sludge/water from entering!!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. Just one dumb question. If they are vents, why don't they leak fuel when the tank is filled to the top of the filler neck???

Aaron
Old 01-16-2006, 12:49 PM

I suspect they have rollover valves built in so that if fluid presses against it there is a float that closes the orifice. All I know is I was skeptical and didn't check mine till last night. I put a long piece of rubber tubing on both fittings and on both I was able to suck and blow air in both directions. Once fuel level drops or there is a significant pressure/temp change and the tank pressure is lower than atmoshpheric pressure (vacuum in the tank) it will pull air/water/dirt and whatever else is in the pocket ontop of the tank into the tank through the openings...if you are skeptical go check yours as well...It'll probably shock the hell out of you as well!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my tank out last week doing the vent relocation. I did notice they were open to the air, but mine are not in a pocket, I have a short bed. I can reach them without dropping the tank so I will add the lines and run them to a filter. Should they be run up to the filler neck??
Old 01-16-2006, 01:39 PM

They probably don't need to be run that high...but the higher the better in case you are ever in deep water or mud. I am also going to put a cheap fuel filter or air filter breather filter on the ends of the hoses so that the air it sucks in is somewhat clean also (for dusty climates).

I have heard the short beds have a dome instead of a dish, this helps a little but If it were me I would still want the hose to be at least as high as the vent tubes for the diff and tranny, likewise I would also want any air going in there to be filtered.

The attached thread from TDR has some good pictures in it of what people are doing:

TDR Fuel tank contamination thread
Old 01-16-2006, 04:48 PM

Just crawled under the truck and found the front vent had a 6 inch hose attached pointing to the center of the truck doing nothing. The rear vent had nothing but dirt on it. I'll have to get some hose after work with a T and a cheap filter to put on the end. Thanks for bringing this thread to the top again!!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:02 PM

I just talked to the part's guy at the dealer. They have a " roll over ball valve hose". It list's for around $2.50. Think I'll order it just to see how DC is fixing this.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
I just talked to the part's guy at the dealer. They have a " roll over ball valve hose". It list's for around $2.50. Think I'll order it just to see how DC is fixing this.
maybe that is the 6 inch hose I have on mine, the price matches.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by slowwheelin
maybe that is the 6 inch hose I have on mine, the price matches.

I'm sure they are one in the same. I just want to put my eye's on what DC is calling fixed.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Contamination