3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Return Line

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Return Line

I found my return line leaking fuel. Search around and found some that had to replace the clip securing this line. My clip appeared fine and think I may have split the hard plastic line that is inside the rubber outer jacket.

I had removed head over the summer to do studs, gasket and replace injectors. I am thinking when I moved this line out of the way to work on my fuel system maybe the hard plastic line was damaged. There is a quick disconnect that goes to the return line that attaches to the rear of the head. I was surprised to find the other side of this rubber/plastic line attaches to the metal line on the frame by the plastic line shrinking tightly onto the metal line. No way to removed and replace only the rubber/plastic section.

To make a temporary repair I have used a 3/8 fuel line and attached this to the metal line from the head to the hard line on the frame. The connection on the line to head secured very nicely as tit appeared to be a 3/8 metal line.

The metal line on the frame appears smaller than 3/8 and I placed 4 clamps over a several inches of the hose to get it secured to a point it does not leak.

Can I get some recommendations on a permanent solution? My manual states this return is a low pressure side of the fuel system. On the rubber/plastic line it stated High Pressure? Just looking for a good method to make a permanent fix on this return line.

I thought about running a 3/8 fuel line all the way to where my air dog returns to tank and just doing away with this return line?

Anyone run into this and have a good idea. I am sure this line from Dodge would be an expensive item.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Not sure if this information will help you, but generally if I am attaching a rubber hose to a steel line with hose clamps, I will first use a line flaring tool to put a small bulge into the end of the steel line. This is the way it is commonly done at the factory. It helps the hose to stay in place tightly on the line, and prevents the hose clamp from sliding past that point.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Thanks
The line had 2 raised edges going around the line. Problem is the line is smaller than the 3/8th rubber line. Metal line from head is 3/8th rubber and fit and secured well. 3/8th line at frame going over metal line was not even snug slipping over the ridges. It is not leaking and will get me by until I can determine a permanent fix.

I think running a 3/8th line to the rear my be my best option.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like a 3/8 metal line back to air dog will be a good fix to me. Use the least amount of rubber line as possible.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 AM

rockcrawler304,

Why use metal over a rubber return line? If I use rubber I will only have 2 connections needed. If I were to run metal it would require 4 connections(possible leak points)?

Curious as to why I should limit rubber where ever possible. Especially as this is a return line that I think is a low pressure portion of the fuel system.

Presently my fuel system has Rubber from Tank to airdog, rubber from airdog to CAT 750 filter, rubber from filter to CP3. It has been this way for a long time without any trouble to date feeding fuel to the engine.

Thanks Again for the reply..

Are you aware if the return line is definitely a low pressure section? Manual stated low pressure but plastic line that was spilt had High Pressure printed on the line.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
rockcrawler304,

Why use metal over a rubber return line? If I use rubber I will only have 2 connections needed. If I were to run metal it would require 4 connections(possible leak points)?

Curious as to why I should limit rubber where ever possible. Especially as this is a return line that I think is a low pressure portion of the fuel system.

Presently my fuel system has Rubber from Tank to airdog, rubber from airdog to CAT 750 filter, rubber from filter to CP3. It has been this way for a long time without any trouble to date feeding fuel to the engine.

Thanks Again for the reply..

Are you aware if the return line is definitely a low pressure section? Manual stated low pressure but plastic line that was spilt had High Pressure printed on the line.
First of all I "Think" the return is low pressure. Hopefully someone will chime in to reassure us

The reason for me to say use as much metal line as possible is because in my past experiences when running rubber line for longer distances I always had issues with hot areas (exhaust etc) or proper places to clamp the line securely so no rubbing damages the line. The metal can be bent to "Form Fit" anywhere you want it and clamping is much easier with many different options. More durable in all areas and also less susceptible to the hot areas. (not so much a problem on these trucks though) And with a proper flair on each end and good clamps you will have no leaking issues at all. Also no long term degradation. I would rather replace two 4" - 6" pieces rather than the entire return line if it did start to dry out or rot or somehow got damaged.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I may leave a non leaking line alone for the moment.
If I have any issue I will 1st try flaring the end like you suggest.

Thanks Again
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM

Any time

Keep us posted on how it goes.