3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Lubrication Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Lubrication Injectors?

I talked with a diesel tech on the phone today about the noise my 2005 CTD is making and everyone seems to think it is injector chatter that could be reduced by adding either tranny fluid or motor oil to the fuel.
Has or does anyone do this and does it work and which type do you use?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM

DO NOT add trans fliud to fue.Has properties that may scuff.Use a PROPER fuel additive.Many on the market.PowerService/Howes etc.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Much much better off running a diesel fuel additive like from Power Service, Stanadyne, Howes, Redline, Lucas, etc.
Today's ATF fluids contain friction modifiers which isn't good for the life of the injection pump and injectors.
If using motor oil use a non detergent type, or two stroke mixture oil.

MikeyB
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't add tranny oil to your fuel, big no no. I straight non-detergent 30 wt. probably wouldn't hurt. Personally, I would only use a good diesel fuel additive. 3rd gen injectors are expensive. Howes, Stanadyne or Power Service.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the response.
The guy did say to use a "Type F" tranny fluid or a "30wt" oil, either one so as not to get the chemicals you all mentioned. He said after running the additive as you mentioned that cleaned the injectors then run the oil or tranny fluid; is this correct? I have just finished the tank with "Diesel Clean" from Diesel Power Services.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:56 PM

I run waste oil in my 95 and it does make it very happy. It is actually quieter than my 600 and has been getting better milage since I started running 10% WO. I would be leary of trying this on the Common Rail motors for no other reason than mother mopars warranty. Also as pointed out the injectors are expensive. I have seen that a few people are routinly running WO in their CR motors.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:00 PM

From experience...don't run the motor oil in the Common Rails.

See the thread that I posted about buying diesel fuel.....and getting engine oil with the diesel.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=83609
Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM

USE THE PROPER STUFF! the motor oil and trans fliud thing is a leftover from the old type injection systems.This IS the next century.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 PM

Try a mix of Power Service Kleen and Marvel Mystery Oil. I have used a mix in every tank for the last 25,000 miles. 3 parts Power Service Kleen to 1 part Marvel Mystery Oil. I add 160z of this mix to every tank. It did quiet mine down and runs smoother since adding the mix. Try a few tanks and see if it works, it will not hurt anything. You can search and find many posts on this combo of additives and many others. I am a believer.

Check this thread for moral support.
http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...c;f=8;t=000329
Old 11-22-2005, 07:25 AM

Why use anything?
I talked with a diesel tech at the Cummins HQ in Mississauga, and he said you don't have to use any additives.
Also not recommended in owners manual.

I see a lot of folks running there own recipe (MMO and sutch).
Is there any hard science that this is beneficial or just heresay?
Beleive me, I mean no disrespect, as I have run an additive from the same place that said I did not need one.(Cummins)

For now I quit running addatives.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 AM

Some have had a REAL problem with carbon buildup.thats why.Many posts about this issue.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:55 AM

I don't need a scientific study, I know running PS/MMO makes my truck run smoother. It's personal choice. Considering the money I spent for my truck, it's worth the peace of mind to me.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:10 AM

Fuel Additives

Toto,

DC & Cummins don't recommend the use of additives but, Cummins sells a product called Premium Plus Diesel Fuel Additive Lubricity/Cleaner. Cummins is re-thinking a number of their theories since the new HPCR fuel delivery systems have arrived. Finer fuel filteration is among them, also.

I am one of the people with the injector knock problem that couldn't get DC to take care it. Finally, I started using an additive (Primrose Power Master 405). It took awhile but, the knock is now gone. That's the only thing I did differently.
The Bosch HPCR fuel injection systems should have been designed & built to operate on the available fuels, here in the US. I believe the majority of their experience is with European fuels, which, are of a much higher quality. Trying to operate these systems on our inferior quality fuels doesn't seem to work as well as they had expected.

The Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) seems to be hard on the HPCR, also. Does not seem to have enough lubricity.

The bottom line is that, in my opinion, the use of an additive is probably a good idea.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 11-22-2005, 11:55 AM

I have run waste oil, 2 stroke oil, 10w30, and Kerosene through my 3rd gen with no ill effects. Oh yeah and home made biodiesel made from walmart vegitable oil.

I have thought about running dirty dish water through it....
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 PM

I've been told and read about adding bio-diesel (1qt to 10 gallons) to get the benefits of better lubrication and and reduce smoke and carbon. Anyone else hear about this?

Quick Reply: Fuel Lubrication Injectors?