3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

fuel line size/fittings questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel line size/fittings questions

I put an electric lift pump on my truck shortly after getting it. It was along time ago. It recently started to make noise so I had a brand new Holley Blue that I've installed (I've read a ton about the pros & cons so please no alternative pump recommendations-thanks) and I have a filter before the pump. Both are mounted under the truck. I had forgotten that I used braided line without AN fittings from the filter to the old pump so when I installed the new pump I had some fitting "issues". I ASSumed the barb fittings would have the same NPT size but they didn't do I had to scrounge up a couple of fittings that got me by. I am wondering if braided line is a waste. It looks crappy without proper fittings and normal screw type hose clamps don't compress it much I don't think. In addition to the pump/filter fittings I had a problem with the hose going to the filter canister. I had a rubber hose from the pump to the banjo connector on the filter canister that came up short. This banjo bolt has the original hose connection on it and it was all I could do to get the braided hose over the end of this thing. The very end is expanded or swagged out way more than a typical barb style fitting. Can anyone help me with information regarding a hose suitable for this truck so I can loose the braided? Also if possible a recommendation on the stock banjo bolt/hose connection. My pump has 1/2" female NPT.
I greatly appreciate any help with cleaning up this installation.
Thanks-Howard
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can use pretty much any rated hose you want. You can build your own, or you can have a hydraulic shop build them for you.

But, you must use matching hoses and ends. You can't mix them up. You cannot push a braided hose onto a barb and then tighten it down with a hose clamp. It won't seal properly, and you'll get a catastrophic failure; usually at the most inconvenient time.

I prefer AN lines and fittings. Easy to come by, easy to use, and a great variety of types and specs for whatever you want it for.

I would probably continue to use SS braided. It is the heaviest, but not the most expensive. And it is the most durable.

Check with retailers like Summit Racing and Jegs for some of the best prices.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks - can you offer any advice on the banjo fitting? The end of this fitting has a very large flare or belled end. How hard was it for you to get the hose over it?
Thanks
Howard