3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Gelling Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gelling Symptoms?

I treated my fuel w/ Power Service yesterday, but it got down to -10F last night, and my truck is parked outside. The truck was not plugged in. This morning it started right up. I let it idle for five minutes then slowly started driving. As soon as I would put my right foot just 1/3 of the way down the engine started bogging down/lose power. I figured the fuel filter was gelling/getting pluged so when this happened, I immidiately lifted off of the throttle. I had to drive for the first 5 miles with the engine barely off of idle, and I would have to back off what little throttle I was giving it as soon as I felt the engine bogg/lose power. After the first 5 miles I could give it a little more throttle - enough to get to 45 mph on level ground (and slowing down to 20 or so on the hills). Finally after the second 5 miles of this all was normal & I drove the final 20 miles as normal.

So, a couple of questions:
            Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM

Plugging your truck in won't make any difference as far as fuel gelling.Are you running #1 or #2 diesel? I change my fuel filter at the beginning of winter and then again in the spring.Check for water when you change your filter.If it's in your filter it's in your tank.I run anti-gel all winter long regardless of temp. Hope this helps.
            Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM
            Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
            Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
            Product called 911 works great if you are already gelled. it will turn to liquid darn near instantly
            Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
            Product called 911 works great if you are already gelled. it will turn to liquid darn near instantly
            its made by Power Service...I keep two bottles of it in the truck at all times
            Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by willysrule
            its made by Power Service...I keep two bottles of it in the truck at all times
            I thought that 911 was only to be used in an emergency if you were gelled. Furthermore, I thought it was harsh on the fuel system even though it does a great job ungelling the fuel.

I normally use the Power Service product that comes in the white jug. Isn't this what you are supposed to use to keep teh fuel from gelling up?
            Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
            Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
            Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
            my brother uses it regularly in all his equipment and trucks if there is a gelling issue.

your issue sounds like the tank itself is gelled. you can have it plugged in for a month and it will keep the filter bowl someone liquid but the tank and lines are solid.

occasional use of 911 is not going to hurt anything.
            Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
            I thought that 911 was only to be used in an emergency if you were gelled. Furthermore, I thought it was harsh on the fuel system even though it does a great job ungelling the fuel.

I normally use the Power Service product that comes in the white jug. Isn't this what you are supposed to use to keep teh fuel from gelling up?
            yes, the white bottle stuff prevents gelling...

I carry two red 911 bottles just in case, don't use it unless theres no other choice...I've already handed one out at work, a guy had his fuel gell up in his ford...
            Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
            There's a heater on the fuel filter on the engine. So after running a little, it should clear up. So that means in the tank or in the lines coming up from there. There's a screen in the tank that will collect the wax if the particles are big enough and choke off the flow. The inline problem is just like a heart attack. Wax forms in the line and slowly builds up until it chokes off the flow.
            If you treated your tank, you probably had a problem inline. There maybe wasn't enough treated fuel in the line to dissolve the wax or keep it suspended.
            Double up on the additive for a tankful and buy an extra fuel filter to carry under the seat. A filter swap will get you going again if the wax overcomes the filter heater. Additive should help draw the water into the fuel from the tank also. That's another reason to run it longer than just the winter. Another fuel problem is retail issues. One of our stations had a hole rusted into their vent pipe and rain water was slowly filling the tank until my buddy filled his service truck with mostly water. So fuel quality doesn't automatically rule out a station. Water in fuel is a mysterious gremlin. A double dose of additive to the same station would be the first try. If you have another problem, find out where, not who, they get their fuel from. Then try another station from different supplier. If you decide that it's the fuel, let the station know. They might buy you a tank or two to make it right.
            Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
            Also if the fuel you are using was bought during a warmer time of the year, or at a lower altitude, it might not be blended for winter.
            Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
            Biodiesel can clog up too even around freezing point. It happened in Minnesota last year, they were having all kinds of problems with busses when it got real cold. Minnesota mandates biodiesel usage.
            Old 01-31-2011, 04:21 PM

We use Howe's in our fleet of big trucks and pickups. Regular use in the winter eliminates gelling issues. Power service the rest of the year. JM.02
            Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
            Being from VA, likely the fuel is not blended or not blended anough for a real cold snap (guessing -10 is COLD for VA).
            Otherwise cold starts are not a problem for Dodges. 4 year old batteries starts mine without being plugged in easily to -25F (although it is garaged 90% of the time at night), haven't had it out in much colder weather than that and never had a gelling problem and I don't use any additives.
            Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
            Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
            Mentioned this in another thread...sometimes its too late to save a fuel filter once it gets hit by waxing/water/gelling. The pick up screen can clog too but the Power Service 'should' fix that. If after using the PS 911,you still have problems, change the filter [s]. Carry at least one extra fuel filter in the truck for this kind of problem.
            JMHO from experience.
            Quite often the cumulative effect of waxing/gelling/water is too much to treat when it comes to a fuel filter.
            Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
            Ditto that. I always carry filters behind the rear seat.

In addition to gel, you never know when you might get a tank of trashy fuel, though I always try to hit high volume reasonably modern stations.
            Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
            DTR Mom

yup, ditto on the filter, once you change it and take a peak, it will become a habit to hear the problem again. "start-run then die" is at filter. "start- cough fire- then limp erratically along" is a system(tank,lines,injector) thing.

try a half throttle, turn key and keep firing until it starts and perks up to that rpm. then let idle high @2500rpm. that clears out a clogged line.

sometimes the additive tends to clog worse than zero additive. just sayin'.

we are at a higher elevation and more constant lower temps but leave everything outside all year long(farm tractors, equipment, one ton dodge, neighbor's half ton dodge). routinely use injector cleaner, spring and fall maintenance for the 911. no worries for 15 years.

fill ups from shared pumps (gas / diesel dispenser) usually has water condensation in underground tanks or filter boxes. they do not change their filters weekly, trust me....
            non heavy running during winter ups and downs will 'chunk' the wax additives. old farmer thing is to 'thin' with fuel oil but only about a quart on a running newer vehicle.

change the filter, try *some* fuel oil, and operate steady for two hours above idle. examine the usage then, see if that helps the future start ups.

we had to re start or cold start stuck commercial rigs or tractors.
            I know NOTHING about the newer dodge trucks. these DTR guys do.

good luck.