3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Frontend Making Annoying Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frontend Making Annoying Noise

Just this weekend my truck started making a noise i havent heard before. It sounded like a shock was gone on the driverside . I only have 24,000 miles on my truck and cant believe it is doing something like this already. I pulled the shock assembly off and the shock seems to be fine! Tried the other side and the same outcome. I picked the truck off the ground and eveything feels tight! What else should I look for? I live in the country on dirt roads and have plenty of time to listen to this maybe I'll just turn the radio up!!!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Check this out, it might solve your problem.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=92659
Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 PM

Does the sound stop or reduce with the brakes applied?

Originally Posted by dodgebowhunter
Just this weekend my truck started making a noise i havent heard before. It sounded like a shock was gone on the driverside . I only have 24,000 miles on my truck and cant believe it is doing something like this already. I pulled the shock assembly off and the shock seems to be fine! Tried the other side and the same outcome. I picked the truck off the ground and eveything feels tight! What else should I look for? I live in the country on dirt roads and have plenty of time to listen to this maybe I'll just turn the radio up!!!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 PM

Describe the sound. Is it EEEEEkkkkkk, or kathunka thunka or waap waap waap. Does it sound like a baby crying? Now thats annoying. Please give more info so we can help you. Good luck Little Dog!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:08 PM

The sound is hard to describe but is always made when going over bumps in the road. It just started this last weekend so I dont think it can be the coolant . The sound is like a hollow thud like if there was a bad shock. Also there is excessive bouncing of the front end.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 PM

Have you jacked up the front of the truck and spin the front wheels to look for knots or bulges on the tires? Loose lug nuts? Bad bearings? Probably need to jack it up and take a real good look. Hopefully someone here can help you out.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:39 PM

Are the ball joints still good. I've had to replace both tie rod ends on mine.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 PM

Tires look good and yes i have picked up the front end . I checked the bearings and they seem fine . Also I have taken both front tires off to take the shocks off and have tightened the heck out of the lug nuts. I'm gonna take it in next tuesday and make some tech scratch his head for a while!!! Well he will probably know just what to look for hopefully and get it back to me ASAP!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins600
Are the ball joints still good. I've had to replace both tie rod ends on mine.
At what mileage did you have to replace them? No I really havent checked them yet and havent had time but maybe this weekend I can get to look at them! What do I need to look for and do I need to pull the rubber boot back to look at them?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:07 PM

How about the sway bar endlinks? Mine started making noise (something between a rattle and a clunck) at about 60K but get progressively worse until I replaced them at 88K. Noise (which sounded very much like a bad shock) is now gone. I couldn't justify giving DCX more money for poorly made parts and bought replacements from Sage Carli.

Todd
Old 02-24-2006, 09:03 PM

This probably isn't it from what you're describing, but I figured I'd post it anyway to give you something to look at over the weekend.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=80095
Old 02-24-2006, 09:32 PM

I also had a rattle in the front end at 30,000 km. The first thing the service manager said was sway bar links. He was right and they also replaced outer tie rod left side.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by dodgebowhunter
At what mileage did you have to replace them? No I really havent checked them yet and havent had time but maybe this weekend I can get to look at them! What do I need to look for and do I need to pull the rubber boot back to look at them?
One was about 20k on dodge (I found a hole in the boot). The 2nd one was about 50k and I found it by checking the front wheel. I could feel & see the play from the tie rod. But it made no noise, though. I belive the other ball joint can make load sound.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Control arms will also cause a rattle like a dog chain rattle. Will occur on small studder bumps or while cruising down highway. Will stop when under load during acceleration and occurs most often while coasting. Have replaced upper control arms and noise whent away.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 PM

make sure your spring didnt come out of its pocket, springs have to be in the bucket a certain way. this could cause the thud sound

Quick Reply: Frontend Making Annoying Noise