3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front prop shaft lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front prop shaft lubrication

I recently purchased an 06 ram 2500. According to the service manual at 3750 miles and every oil change there is supposed to be a grease fitting on the front driveline. The only grease fittings I see are the tie rod ends. Anyone have any ideas about the grease fitting for the front prop shaft?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM

Its a NEEDLE fitting.Takes a itty bitty needle.takes SOME looking to find the whole to lube also.dealer near me has one and been told or read NAPA has the size needle to use.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:55 PM

Grease Hole

Everybodys right. It's not a zerk, just a tiny hole. I use a needle tip, but not the type that looks like a syringe. It's just a long pice of metal and has a hole in the end. Works good but have to move it sometimes. Also I know a few people use a needle fitting like for basket ***** and all and just shove it in, but not sure how good this works. Anyway here's the location

Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Dragging up an old thread --- I looked, cleaned the area, looked again and again, but cannot find the hole(s). Is it in the little rubber boot(s), or the metal bodies? How many holes are there?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 AM

The fitting is on the REAR end of the front shaft.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM

I have been under the truck 4 times & just call me blind .
Is it possible some truck don't have this feature. I have seen posted before the under hood lable, mine does not have it either. I am going to the manual and do a little reasearch with enlarged photo in hand.
Wish me luck.
It is also probably Newton's Law, I went ahead and bought the tool for the job.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 AM

Unhappy

I am a looser, mark of the big L on my forehead. My truck is not equipped with the hole Why are some equipped and some not?
I went so far and reread my book to see if it was just me and I qoute;
"The front axle universal joint and piviot bearing are permanently lubricated and do not require servicing."
I guess the 15.00 tool will get used someday, oh well.
Laurence
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by LRAmberson
I have been under the truck 4 times & just call me blind .
Is it possible some truck don't have this feature. I have seen posted before the under hood lable, mine does not have it either. I am going to the manual and do a little reasearch with enlarged photo in hand.
Wish me luck.
It is also probably Newton's Law, I went ahead and bought the tool for the job.
You aren't alone! Same here. I looked at the front shaft rear double u-joint arrangement many times, saw little ***** (total of 4) on the inner metal u-joint "arms", saw rubber type boots (total of 8) covering each bearing, poked a metal object around every feature I could see, but still no little holes. The holes must be in the rubber boots, but they are a very hard to find. I even saw a little grease leaking from an inside angle of one of the boots, but poking around the grease didn't reveal anything.

I don't think we have these holes.

A similar thing happened on my Jeep, where it says to lube the upper knuckle ball joint fittings, but there are none there that I could find.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks LR. Wrote my message before seeing yours. I was all set to go buy the special tool, like you, but it was nasty out, so put it off. Thanks for being the test case!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:33 PM

I just finished greasing my 2006 3500 front driveshaft!!! The greaseable part on the drive shaft is the intermediary shaft BETWEEN the 2 REAR U-Joints, NOT the U-joints themselves. You will need a needle adapter and a flex hose grease gun to grease the shaft.

REPEAT, IT IS NOT THE U-JOINTS BUT THE 1 INCH LONG INTERMEDIARY SHAFT BETWEEN THE TWO REAR U-JOINTS.

Look closely and you will find it. I needed a flash light in broad daylight, it is a machined recessed on the forward part of the shaft.

GP
Old 01-20-2006, 04:43 PM

I will try and get under there again tomorrow, raining now, loaded with the digital camera & flashlight. I may be wrong but my back "rear end" of my front shaft seems to be thinner than the photo shown .
I will post my photos and let you guys decide.
Thanks for the help on this subject,
Laurence
Old 01-20-2006, 04:54 PM

I will try and get under there again tomorrow, raining now, loaded with the digital camera & flashlight. I may be wrong but my back "rear end" of my front shaft seems to be thinner than the photo shown .
I will post my photos and let you guys decide.
Thanks for the help on this subject,
Laurence
Old 01-20-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anybody have the part number for the needle?? as you know-usually when you go to the auto part they have no idea what you are talking about!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 PM

I picked mine up at NAPA. It is a "Lincoln" part.

Model #82784

NAPA also had their own branded one but it is quite a bit larger diameter and length than the Lincoln one and I wasn't sure if would have worked. Now that I have actually found the grease fitting I think either one would work. GP
Old 01-20-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks man!! i'll stop by napa on monday

Quick Reply: Front prop shaft lubrication