3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front brake rotors and dealer problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brake rotors and dealer problems

Got a call from the Warner Robins Ga. Dodge dealer on Fri to inform me that after damaging my truck by dropping it off the lift, they want to install front brake rotors and pads at a cost of $549 because I have complained about the knock or thump I'm hearing in the front end, although I feel no vibration or pulsation in the steering or brake pedal.When I asked the service writer if they had checked the runout on the rotors, she informed me that she wasn't sure. Before taking the truck to the dealer I inspected the pads and rotors and they appeared to be in great condition although I have not checked the runout with an indicator.This truck has 28K miles on it and no hard braking.I beleive the dealer is trying to recoup some of it's money that will be paid out for the damage done to my truck.To top it off while installing the CP3 pump for leakage they damaged the o ring and now I'm waiting on another one to be shipped, bunch of **** bozo's. at this dealer...stay away.I've had nothing but bad visits to this service dept.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 PM

The thumping niose that you are hearing is from the front end control arms not being tight. Have them tighten them up becasue the bolts are loose. Mine did the same thing until they caught it on several other trucks. It was much worse when it was raining and I backed out of the driveway and turned to the left at the same time.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What year is your truck? With only 28K I would think a repair like that should be covered by the warranty. That's WAY too soon to be needing new rotors. What a scam!

That's just classic dealer behavior.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:40 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, The dealer is trying to charge you for damage created by them (the dealer) dropping it off the lift?

If that is correct, I would tell them that if they think it needs replaced because of that to do it at their expense. It's not warranty, but the dealer did the damage, and should be responsible for the related costs to fix anything related to the drop.

You may need to treat this like an insurance claim and have the front end checked at another shop/dealer to see what exactly has been happened from the drop. I doubt the dealer that did the damage is going to be completely up front about everything.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:29 PM

The dealer damaged the step bars and lower door only, not the rotors.I picked the truck up today, the injection pump was replaced and also the frt crank seal.I have checked all of the front end suspension components to insure that everything is tight, can't find anything loose.I am now noticing that when the truck goes into the thumping or knocking mode that if I slip the 6 speed into neutral the knock or thump seems to go away.I'm hoping that whatever is causing this will fly apart soon because it looks like this is going to be tough to diagnose and I know that I can't depend on the dealer to find the problem.I'll be dealing with the service manager on the damage issue on wed when he returns from vacation.