3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

flat beds and lift pumps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flat beds and lift pumps.

I wanna get a new 3500 4x4 and put a nice dovetail flatbed on it. has anyone put flats on their trucks yet? can you buy a new one without a bed?<br><br><br>Do the new models have lift pump problems?<br><br><br>thanks guys.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:43 AM

Re:flat beds and lift pumps.

I don't think the '03's have been out long enough to know whether or not they have any lift pump problems. Having said that, the 03's have the new high pressure common-rail system, and the lift pump operates at a lower pressure than the 2nd gens. I don't remember seeing anyone yet with a flatbed on one, but I know they can be ordered as &quot;chassis cab&quot; (without the bed). Order cut-off is probably in the next week or so, so if you are going to order, you'll need to do so quickly. You might PM Luke to see if he knows of anyone with a flatbed on theirs.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:59 AM

As of now you can order 2004 trucks with the pick up box delete option as long as you get single rear wheels. They are not offering this option on duallys. I know, its stupid, but the city boys in Detroit who decide what to build dont understand what us country boys need. I have have several 03 duallys that we have taken the bed off of and put flatbeds on. It just takes a little custom fabrication. I just ordered an 04 3500 regular cab for stock that will have the bed taken off and a flatbed put on when it gets here.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:14 AM

I was able to pull fuel pressure down to zero. Rod told me he stalled his on the freeway during a top end run at 0 pressure. I also know a guy that has dd3's/turbo/ez and when the gauge hit zero he stopped making more power on the dyno. He installed a lift pump and gained 30hp, truck dynoed on same dyno, same operator within a couple days of each other. Many witnesses to that one who dont believe the 03 can run at zero pressure without a problem thing anymore. With mine I managed to get it down to zero with just the ez and when I installed DDs pusher kit it gained boost. Just about every vendor I have spoke to that is working up parts for the common rail have told me they have had problems with the truck misfiring when they get north of 400 hp or so due to low fuel pressure. I guess what Im saying is the stock truck may work with just the cp3 like the Euro cr's or the dmax but you dont have to add many mods before you can benifit from a lift pump.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:45 PM

Its possible, like I said the one truck had 3's in it but 30 real hp for a pusher? Its got to be starving it on the top end. I read that the cp3 doesnt need pressure, just flow also and I figured that as you said the Dmax doesnt use one, euro cr's dont use it, guess I dont have to worry about it. When you see it with your own eyes though its hard to deny.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealership near me has about 7 3500 dualies on the lot with flatbeds already on them. They order them without the box and then have the flatbed installed before they hit the lot.<br><br>Don't know enough about it to know if it would affect the lift pump or not. Heck...I don't even know what a lift pump is...yet. [undecided]
Old 06-10-2003, 04:43 PM

If they were dually's they are not doing a bed delete. You can only order that option on a single rear wheel truck(as stupid as that is). Somebody somwhere took those beds off those trucks after they were built. Somebody has a nice pile of dodge dually beds someplace.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Cummins Luke link=board=20;threadid=15719;start=0#147930 date=1055281420]<br>If they were dually's they are not doing a bed delete. You can only order that option on a single rear wheel truck(as stupid as that is). Somebody somwhere took those beds off those trucks after they were built. Somebody has a nice pile of dodge dually beds someplace. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Perhaps...all I know is they've got a bunch of dually trucks already equipped with flatbeds. The salesman told me they sent them to have the beds put on them...I just assumed they ordered them without a bed. Maybe they're pulling them off themselves....