3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

flashing 4wd light, semi emergency

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flashing 4wd light, semi emergency

Coming home in our 2006 3500 srw mega, driving to the inlaws for thanksgiving tonight, 200 miles one way, 4wd/4wd low/serv 4wd light flast intermittenly several times about 2 hours into my trip. This goes on for about 20 minutes to half hour, and then stops. I can feel the the truck is in 4wd hi at this point even though the dial says 2wd. If i switch to 4wd, the light on the dash doesn't come on. The red nuetral light on the dial is also now on all the time.

Doing some searching on here, basically says check connections and or wires on the transfer case motor and or ac compressor. Is this been fixing the problem for most of you that have had it? But why is the red light on the 4wd dial on all the time now? would think a bad connection would make it flicker also.

We have 200 miles to drive back home with 3 young kids, just wanted to see if I could get this figured out to not cause us any trouble on the way home.

I also have a SEL on for a grid heater issue, per my mechanic, would these be connected.

Help anyone, need to drive this thing back tomorrow or sunday!

I am guessing it just hates me, ordered a 15 mega today and decided to crap the bed to prove a point. haha.

Thanks, Ben

Last edited by isu elvi; 11-28-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: autocorrect
Old 11-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Just unplug the transfer case motor connector and plug it back in, I've seen this a few times now on electric shift trucks of all brands. Little bit of condensation, or maybe it wiggled loose a bit, and you have Christmas lights everywhere. Unplug, plug in, restart, problem usually goes away. One time it didn't, a root had kicked up and tore the harness apart.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update.
Was able to work on some things quick before turkey day festivities, had found a loose auxilary wire on the right battery and a looser than comfortable left battery cable. Cleaned and tightened them both up, everything seemed to work fine, lights quit flashing, turn the **** and it shifts in and out of 4wd. Thought I got it licked!

Driving home last night, made it about 2 hours into a 4 hour trip, no lights on so far, my sel had gone off, thought everything was good. all of a sudden 4wd/serv starts flashing, 4wd/4wd lo starts flashing, and then it shifts into neutral. Shut the truck off, turn, wiggle, shift trans, nothing works, can't get the transfer case to shift back to any gear. Of course I had to put my tool box in my farm truck a couple days before and forget to put it back, and I have 3 little kids and an ornery wife sitting in a pickup that wont move, 2 hours from family or home. After 45 minutes of waiting and trying stuff waiting for help, my says what if you push the button next the N on the transfer case ****. 1) didn't even know there was a button there, never needed to put it in N. 2) what can it hurt, pretty well have nothing to lose right. Grab a pen, push the button, wiggle the ****, push/pull gear selector, and with a loud bam! got it finally to go into 4 hi.

Made it home in 4 high, loaded it on the trailer this morning, and dropped it off at the mechanics. I think it just hates me cuz I traded it, I swear!