3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

First oil change/transmission service on the CTD.. Not too bad!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First oil change/transmission service on the CTD.. Not too bad!

With limited time lately, I dropped by the Chrysler dealer to see about a oil change, trans flush, band adjustment and filter change... $480..... Yeah RIGHT...

My time is valuble lately, but not THAT valuble..

Hit up Geno's garage and ordered up an OEM trans kit, Fleetguard engine filter, and the endcap wrench for the engine filter..

Loosened the oil filter so it was hand tight, slipped a ziplock freezer bag under it, and twisted her off. Had a bundle of paper towels ready, not a drop on the truck or driveway. Slid a 5 gallon bucket under the engine, drained, filled new filter with oil, hand tight plus a half turn, filled engine with Rotella, done...

Trans....

With a bit of research here, and a 3 year subscription to alldatadiy.com/ I tackled the trans, as the pan looked to be never off(110k on the truck), and the fluid was more black than red...

Unhooked the cooler return hose from the trans, and clamped on an approx 5 foot long 5/8" heater hose. The return hose is the more rearward easy to get to line on the trans, and is just a basic flare line.. Put approx gallon marks on the bucket, put the bucket/hose next to the driver door, started engine, shifted into a gear with my foot on the brake(twister anyone?), pumped out about a gallon, shut her off...

Pull pan, rest under trans on the ground and use for the catch pan while you pull the nasty filter. Let drip for about 5 min, dab valve body with a wad of paper towels, and grab a 14mm box end wrench, inch lb torque wrench, and a 1/4" socket. Loosen 14mm lock nut, 1/4" socket on the inch lb torque wrench and torque to 72inch lbs. Back off 3 turns, and tighten down band locknut while holding the 1/4" socket from turning.

At this time I welded in a pan drain for future ease, and wiped the "mud" off the magnet. Put the drain CLOSE to the magnet if you do this, so that you don't have the internal nut hit anything...

Put on new filter, wipe new gasket with oil, sinch down pan.

External band adjuster is up above the linkages on the driver side. Loosen 3/4" locknut, tighten center torx to 72 inch lbs, back off 1 3/4 turns. I drew a vertical black line on the center adjuster so I could verify the adjuster didn't move while tightening the locknut. Tighten locknut and verify centerline vertical..

Dump 6 qts of atf+4 in the trans, start engine, pump out another gallon. Dump in new oil, pump out a gallon. repeat untill you have about 4 gallons in the bucket. Re-install return line, check dipstick and fill to level as normal..

Done!!!

I know I'll get the whole "don't worry about the bands" "bandwagon" , but mine were out. I also talked with my brother(acura tech who gets the "good" jobs at the dealership ) who serviced a supposed "blown" dodge trans, and the only problem was the band servo shaft fell out, since the band was so far out. That truck still works fine after a year....

I know changing my fluid has a lot to do with the better feel, but I feel MUCH better now when the truck barks the tires while shifting gears hammer down..

I wouldn't say the trans service is for the beginner, but it sure was worth doing myself...

-Don
Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 AM

Excellent write up, what year truck do you have ? would this be the same for a 2nd gen 47re?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM

I think it's almost exactly the same procedure...

Trans fluid is staying nice and red!!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
How much of the quoted $480 did you end up spending? Probably not much more than 20% of it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Spent about 160 bucks total I think... I bought a case of Rotella and some extra ATF+4, but about 160 bucks is close to what I "used"...

-Don