3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fan hub bearing shreded, fan in radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan hub bearing shreded, fan in radiator

It feels like the fan hub bearing fell-apart / shredded, so the fan and fan pulley got loose and went into the radiator. Fortunately, the radiator is in tack - the fan hit the condenser almost square on so the blades did not tear into the condenser. And when I reach behind the pulley, I can feel the something all chewed up.

How do I remove the "fan + fan pulley" (the "unit")? The unit moves back and forth, and still on the fan hub shaft.
- should I remove the fan - loosen the infamous fan nut?
- should I remove the 4 - 10mm bolts holding the entire fan mount, then somehow remove the fan nut?
- other suggestions?

Yes, I am very lucky that the fan did not chew-up the condenser and radiator.

I am guessing on the pulley wheels (fan and water pump), the rust-looking spots are some coolant drops. Just wipe / rub those off or use very fine (i.e. 600 grit wet-n-dry sandpaper to clean up the spots?

Since this is off, what parts should I replace? I can always get to the water pump later.
- the obvious is the fan, S-belt, and fan hub bearing (Mopar #4429639)
- belt tensioner. Once everything is put back, I can see / check to the belt tensioner.
- anything else?

The pictures are of:
1. the fan assembly just sitting there.
2. a diagram of the fan assembly and the pulley bearings is #5
Attached Thumbnails Fan hub bearing shreded, fan in radiator-dsc00824.jpg   Fan hub bearing shreded, fan in radiator-fan-assembly.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Wow!!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM

Is the pulley in the top of the picture ok or is it the photo? it looks crooked too.
To fix this, you need to remove the fan. Take special wrenches to remove it. its the big nut behind the fan, on front of the pulley. then remove pulley bolts, then the hub bracket, think it is 3 bolts. The bearing is available, but ive had trouble getting it. but its out there. IIRC, you need a press to press it out and back in. that's what I used. U might get away with a hammer if your careful.
Check your tensioner while in there.
Just search fan clutch removal, etc. lots of info here.
FYI, the condenser is in front of the radiator, so I doubt the fan hit it. prob was just the radiator.
Good luck.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
that bearing must have been noisy for a long time before it finally let go. Most likely it took out the wiring for the electronic fan clutch also. I guess you will know that when you take the fan clutch off.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by roughstock
Is the pulley in the top of the picture ok or is it the photo? it looks crooked too.
The picture is from the top looking down. Yes, it is crooked because it's loose - wobble left-right, forward-backward. I am guessing when the bearing's case crushed, it's just loose. Yes, I need that 36mm wrench. Thanks for the search tip.

Originally Posted by BigIron70
.. bearing and wiring for the electronic fan clutch...
Actually, it did not seem louder than normal; it sounded the same. But when I was on the highway, then something sounded odd and I heard the s-belt slapping around so I took the exit which was right there (lucky me). I'll check the wiring but it looked intact - we'll see. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 AM

Now, I have the fan removed. The fan has 2 blades that have the edge chewed up. The pulley slid off and I can see (what it looks like to me) the bearing shell and no bearings. The shaft is intact, appears to be straight. No damage to the radiator/condenser. The fan clutch wiring is intact.

I need to clean up and remove the random pieces and grease, but one pic is the backside of the pulley and the other is the bearing shell still sitting on the shaft (the shell is not centered/crooked on the shaft). I need to clean everything.

Should I add more grease to the bearings or will the shop do it (since I do not have a press)?
Attached Thumbnails Fan hub bearing shreded, fan in radiator-fan-pulley-backside.jpg   Fan hub bearing shreded, fan in radiator-fan-pulley-bearings.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Here is the list of bearings / brands to choose from: supposedly the one by NSK ($65-$100) is the "factory build part." Also, there is the Cummins #3910739 (approx $150), and Mopar #4429639.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM

Currently, the bearings are set back about 1/8" from the face of the fan hub bracket. Is the correct installation of the bearings "flush" or 1/8" set-back from the face?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 AM

Done - everything works great.
Thanks everyone.