3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fan Belt Shredding

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen it happen on a Cummins,
Figures I'd be the first.

If a new tensioner and belt doesn't solve the problem then you might have to look at all the pullies and their alignment to one another.
That's what makes me nervous. They could just slap another tensioner and belt on there, and then in another couple thousand, it could come off again. Seems strange it took this long. If something's not aligned right, you would think it would have shown up right away.

Ironically, it was this very issue that made me get rid of my V10 - although that was the direct result of a bolt on POS Paxton supercharger that the pullies were NEVER right on.

Just old memories coming back.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't ya just hate those flashbacks?

I get too many of those.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Banned

Scott,

Sorry to hear your misfortune. You were missed at Kauffmans. Sean and I kept looking around for your white dually.

We'll have to meet up sometime once your wheels are spinning again. BTW my truck goes back to the dealer this week to fix my driver's door lock.

This truck is still heads and tails above the old Ford....lets hope it stays that way
Old 08-14-2004, 05:36 PM

This truck is still heads and tails above the old Ford
Brad, I agree. I'm sure it's a minor issue. I AM glad it happened here at home, and not on the PA Turnpike, that would have been a real mess.

It's just that most weekends, I don't go anywhere that I need the truck, and today of all days. Had it not taken all morning to get a tow truck to take me 6 miles, I still would have driven out.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:13 PM

I guess the reason I'm more ticked than I should be is that the very REASON I dumped my Ford PSD (a truck I otherwise liked) was because it was one warranty issue (and tow or would-be tow, had I not been a mile from the dealer) after ANOTHER, in only 35,000 meticulously maintained, non-abusive miles. I know alot of guys running modded, hot-rodded trucks who use them for work and play, and nothing ever goes wrong with them. I'm jinxed.

I wanted peace of mind that I wouldn't be stranded. Yes, when miles get HIGH, no vehicle, Hondas/Toys included give you that. But not well maintained 35,000 milers, and now, my BAD LUCK has followed me to the new rig, and in less than 5 months of ownership. THAT is why this "little thing" is bothering me so much.

Issues that require a trip to the shop (leaks, computer issues, etc) but DON'T require a TOW, are a nuisanc. But stranding issues worry me. With as much trouble has I had getting a tow truck here in a town with a garage on practically every corner, it REALLY concerns me were I out in the middle of nowhere. Again, that's why I got rid of the Ford. I guess I'm not cut out for this hobby.

I think the Neon is going to become the daily driver, and the truck will be for "fun". It will not venture far from home or the dealer, or not venture where there will not be fellow diesel heads.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:26 PM

Four other 04.5 owners have replied to my duplicate post to this over on TDR that they have experienced the shredding too. So what is causing this on the 04.5s?

As an update:

My dealer hasn't even LOOKED at my truck yet. Towed in on Saturday, now Tuesday evening. It's a friggin' belt, not an engine rebuild. This is the dealer from whom I have bought a car and two other trucks (but not this one). Always treated me right, and never dragged their feet; they have made ALOT of service $$ off of me over the last eight years. I'm thinking that since this is warrranty work, PLUS I didn't buy the truck from them, they're dragging their feet. Plus, the KNOW they have me by the short hairs, because the truck is not driveable. LUCKILY I have a spare car, and LUCKILY I do not depend on this truck for my livelihood.

My relationship with the legendarily reliable Cummins engine is NOT starting out on the right foot
Old 08-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear you're not getting good service. My brother has had some problems there as well - with a minivan bought from there. Perhaps they're slipping.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:54 PM

Dave, perhaps you're right. As I said, I have ALWAYS received good service there, until now. My only other "emergency" was a Super Bowl Sunday '99 tow-in of my 97 2500 V10, which vomited tranny fluid all the way down Sugartown Road over to La Maison.

They called me by 10 am the NEXT (Monday) morning to say that it was fixed (cooler line connector).

THIS time, I had to call yesterday, NOTHING. NO CALL freom them today. Tomorrow, I'll have to call, and be POLITE, but firm. I was planning on taking the truck to the Jimmie Cone show in Mt. Airy, MD on Saturday, and I would like to get it BACK, so it can be washed and cleaned up.

PLUS, I would have hoped they would have at least LOOKED at it, in case they had to order a part.

I wouldn't be so HOT if this wasn't a practically new vehicle.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it's unacceptable that they haven't looked at it yet. I could understand waiting for parts or even "We can't figure out what's wrong", but not to have looked at it?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:48 PM

I think it's unacceptable that they haven't looked at it yet.
I agree. First time in eight years that I've received this (lack of) service. I'll speak to the service manager tomorrow. If it were only a belt, I would put it on myself, but I want their tech to CHECK on the mechanical issue that may cause the belt to throw.

Like I said above, it's a belt, not an engine rebuild. No matter HOW busy they are, SOMEONE can take 10 minutes to take a look.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 PM

wexman,
Sorry to hear about the belt. It never crossed my feeble little mind to even consider about the tow truck and dualies
Also, I just put a contract on a house in Mt. Airy, so pray tell, what is a Jimmie Cone I know of a Jimmie Cone in Damascus, md, but that's an ice cream shop.
Tom
Old 08-17-2004, 08:06 PM

I know of a Jimmie Cone in Damascus, md, but that's an ice cream shop.
That's the one. Car show this Saturday. It's Mt. Airy accoring the maps.??

I was there last July ( a year ago).
Old 08-18-2004, 10:34 AM

I'd heard they opened one up there. If I get the chance, I'll check it out.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 PM

UPDATE:

Finally got truck back today. All they did was replace the belt, said original "defective". Told me the tech test drove three miles, then they let it idle 1.5 hours , and all appears ok.

I drove it hard the six miles home, and inspected it. There *appears* to be about a millimeter or so "wobble" of the belt on the pullies, but it appears to be tracking. I cant see that the pullies themselves are wobbling.

You know, as you look at the routing of these belts, it is not hard to envision even a teeny tiney stone kicking up from underneath and getting sucked in between the belt and a pulley - enough to make it ride off.

There are also a couple of rough spots at the edges of the belt. I'm will say I'm going to be paranoid for a couple days, and check this thing out after any lenghthy drive.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:16 PM

Idle 1.5 hours. These people are unbelievable. Maybe they should read the manual some time.

Quick Reply: Fan Belt Shredding