3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fan Belt Shredding

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fan Belt Shredding - UPDATE

I started my truck this morning, and heard the ummistakeable sound of the belt shredding. Half of it was wrapped around the fan spindle, had to spend 1/2 hour with dykes cutting it off.

Truck is not driveable - even at idle, it continues to shred.

Tow truck on it's way to take to the dealer, whose service isn't open on Saturdays. 5400 miles. I'm NOT happy.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Most likely a bad tensioner. Usually the belt walks back towards the engine and gets eaten by the alternator. Wanna play with it this afternoon if parts are available? Can't get them from Videon but Pep Boys had a tensioner for a '92 - it might be worth a shot if you need the truck.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:04 AM

Dave, thanks for the offer, but the tow truck is on it's way to take it down to Videon. DC Servcice had a helluva time finding someone to do it (Young's is going to). I'm sure it's probably the idler pulley or tensioner, and they'll probably have to order the parts, but since it's under warranty, I'll just let them do it.

I have my Neon to get around, but I AM ****** that I am missing Kauffman's today.

I'm just grateful this didn't happen on the turnpike.

Scott
Old 08-14-2004, 08:00 AM

Man thats sux...I hope mine doesn't do this !
Old 08-14-2004, 10:31 AM

A word for those of you with duallies - NO ONE wants to tow them

DC's Roadside Service was a joke - even though I SPECIFICALLY told them dually, the lady was "having trouble". I told her to keep trying. Finally, they found a service (a company near me who I know), but when he got here, his flatbed couldn't handle the truck, because DC hadn't told him it was a dually.

Long story short, my dealer was open by this time, I called and got the name of the local company they used. Flatbedded me 6 miles - $70.00.

How do I go about submitting a claim for reimbursement?

And, I'll post on Monday after I hear the diagnosis from my dealer. I'm sure they'll have to order part. So, right now, I'm driving the Neon (which, by the way, I drive into the ground, don't maintain NEAR as well as my trucks, and in four years has never failed me).

I'm becoming WELL acqainted with tow truck driver's this year. First my Ford, now my Dodge.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 AM

I believe there was somthing posted about idle tensioners or somthing along that line going bad. You may want to look it up and see if there is a recall or TSB.
You should've just had the driver take it to the dealer and then let him bill the dealer for the tow
Old 08-14-2004, 11:30 AM

You should've just had the driver take it to the dealer and then let him bill the dealer for the tow
I did have it towed to the dealer - that is where it is sitting and, and probably will be until next week sometime. Why would I have the dealer pay for the tow? It's not his fault. It's not even Dodge's fault - this is a Cummins issue.

I did look up that post - I brought it back to the top this morning, it's a few posts down now. I'm sure it's probably a bad tensioner or pulley.

I am really hot, though. Only 5400 miles, and already something wrong with the new truck. Amercian manufacturing - don't get me started. And I don't want to hijack my own thread.

Repeat after me: I love my truck I love my truck I love my truck , even when she don't love me back.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take a deep breath Scott...... it's a minor problem. I know it's easy for me to say that but it's the truth. It also doesn't seem to be a major issue. Not a lot of posts about it.

I just broke 10,000 this week. No problems with the belt or anything motorwise.

Deathwobble is in check!

Hope you get er fixed fast.

Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 12:09 PM

Take a deep breath Scott...... it's a minor problem. I know it's easy for me to say that but it's the truth. It also doesn't seem to be a major issue. Not a lot of posts about it.
I realize that Mike, but to me, anything that requires a TOW is major. Even had I had a spare belt, it wouldn't have mattered, because it would have just shredded the new one.

I just want to get through one (1) 365-day period without needing a tow truck.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by wexman
Why would I have the dealer pay for the tow? It's not his fault. It's not even Dodge's fault - this is a Cummins issue.

Dodge should pay for the tow...if you have roadside assistance with your truck and could not get someone assigned by the DC toll free on the card...talk to the dealer and find out where to submit the bill.
Also, its not a Cummins issue, as Dodge holds the warranty.

Your dealer should be able to get it sorted out. When you see the tensioner, let me know if its still the el cheapo plastic one that Dodge decided to use to save a few bucks. If it is I am going to find the steel one and replace mine. Its not a common failure but sure is a big hassle when it breaks.

Hope it works out for you.

Scotty
Old 08-14-2004, 12:36 PM

Dodge should pay for the tow...if you have roadside assistance with your truck and could not get someone assigned by the DC toll free on the card...talk to the dealer and find out where to submit the bill.
I will ask where to submit the bill. And I know that Dodge covers the warranty - what I mean was, the MANUFACTURING issue (if that's what it turns out to be) is Cummins, not Dodge.

Nuts.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:25 PM

Address to submit a claim is in the leaflet about the "coverage". Don't ask how I know....
Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by wexman
I will ask where to submit the bill. And I know that Dodge covers the warranty - what I mean was, the MANUFACTURING issue (if that's what it turns out to be) is Cummins, not Dodge.

Nuts.
Probably not Cummins on that particular part.
I learned a lot about what DC does with the Cummins to fit their needs. Cummins will carry the parts and approve but all the bolt on stuff is up to the end user...DODGE in this case.
DC probably farmed out that tensioner to the cheapest bidder.
I recall that the true Cummins tensioner is the steel one.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:16 PM

DC probably farmed out that tensioner to the cheapest bidder.
Wouldn't suprise me. Gotta keep that stock price up. I would rather spend MORE on a truck and get quality parts.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. It amuses me that all these trucks (Ford, Dodge, and Chevy) are in many instances WAY overbuilt (transfer cases, transmissions, axles), then the manufactures go on an put el cheapo plastic in.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:20 PM

Wexman,

I just got your PM and saw this post. The issue on my truck was the tensioner snapping off all of a sudden. It happened going up through the gears, and I felt it through the hard steering, lack of braking, and rising water temp. My belt never got touched, and the dealer replaced the tensioner and reused my belt. It sounds like you have a misalignment issue or a tensioner issue that causing the belt to walk on the pullies. I've never seen it happen on a Cummins, but I have seen it happen on other engines. If a new tensioner and belt doesn't solve the problem then you might have to look at all the pullies and their alignment to one another.

John

Quick Reply: Fan Belt Shredding