3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Factory turbo weeping oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory turbo weeping oil

Noticed when I was under the truck installing the stacks that my stock turbo is still weeping oil from the compressor side just ahead of the return hose. The compressor wheel is clean and everything looks ok. Has anyone else run across this? How could the compressor side seal be leaking externally only? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:47 AM

Are you shure that it's not the oil fron theair filter being sucked into the comprssor side
There has been some of these doing that because the air filter is over oiled
Old 06-10-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem, although, it wasn't with a completely stock turbo (Bomber Lite). Oil was leaking from the v-band clamp that held the exhaust housing to the bearing housing, just behind the oil return line. I did a lot of reading and came up with many possible causes. I checked them all but never did get it to stop. I drove it like that for about a month while I searched for the culprit, but eventually had to replace the turbo. Man, you talk about paranoid! I was checking my intake and charged air tubes every other day for signs of oil making it to my intake. Anything from a clogged air filter to a clogged or restricted crankcase vent/blow-by tube can cause it to leak oil. Are you one of those who had to extend your vent tube to the back of the truck to get ride of the diesel smell in the cab? That would theoretically be enough vent tube restriction to cause it. Doesn't take much when cranking up the boost with that VA box.

Anyway, here are a couple of things that helped me. A decent short write-up on turbo oil leaks:
http://www.performancedieselparts.com/turbo3.cfm

….and here is a nifty little chart that shows you everything to check for a turbo oil leak:
http://www.jhdiesel.com/failurechart1.htm

Other than that, looks like a trip to the dealer. Good luck.

Brian
Old 06-10-2004, 05:07 PM

AK,

I've checked this truck over so many times I think the hood latch is wearing out. Everything is fine and the weeping isn't even enough to make a drip just a dust and oil "V" at the bottom of the compressor side. I'm not worried about it, just very curious as I'm a supercharger man and turbo's are kinda new to me. BTW, how are you doing with the new G1. Does your new one have both sides enlarged or just the compressor? Do you think that they would build enough boost on a stock engine to set an overboost code? Just in case I have to remove my VA C3.2 for a trip to the dealer.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got me. Mine would burn off really quick. If I didn't catch it within about 30 seconds from a hard run, it would burn off and leave me with just a black, dust covered sludge instead of a visible drip. As hard as it may be, I would unhook the VA and take it in just to be safe.

Yeah, current turbo is modified on both ends. It's do'n great. Piers hasn't answered any questions I have posed via PM since I gave them all of my initial test data, but other than that, all is well. They got what they needed from me I guess. Not like I can complain, right? I ended up with a great turbo this time. With no box, my wimpy SO will muster about 27 lbs of boost with this turbo. Wanna buy it?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:58 PM

Wanna buy what pray tell. If your talking about your stock turbo I would be interested in it for a core. If your talking about your mod I'd take a stab at that also. PM me if need be.

BTW, I see that they have the BOMBed '03 turbo on thier price sheet. $400.00 exchange. Pretty close to the $300.00 everyone thought that they would be. I need it with this VA box while they work out the timing upgrade, if that ever really happens. If not it's on to the TST or the new Edge. I just really like the smooth power and lack of codes with the VA.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 PM

Before anyone gets a chance to ask, the turbo has been doing this since day 1 and the addition of the VA has made no difference in the minor seepage.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:29 AM

I have noticed on the back side of the compressor side it will collect dust, no oil dripping or really wet though. Just collects dust, the weather seams to effect it also, when you wipe it off it has an oily residue. Looks normal to me!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:27 PM

I'm starting to think the same thing. I wiped it completely clean and there has been no apparent reoccurance.