3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Extremely Roughg Idle, Smoke, and burnt oil!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extremely Roughg Idle, Smoke, and burnt oil!

Alright well, It has been taking my truck a long time to warm up and stop the warmup smoke. Well now I have an extremely rough Idle like it is running on three or 4 cyl. Also, I am getting some sort of fluid boiling out between my exhaust manifold and turbo flange.

I don't have a mix of coolant and oil. I do not have excessive amounts of fluid in my oil pan. The truck still runs like it is angry and strong.

I am pretty sure I have a bad injector or two, but would a bad turbo also be something that would cause these symptoms? I just need a place to start on repair.

Pulling the injectors is obviously step one, but how do I go about testing my turbo?

What else could cause these types of symptoms?

Thanks For all your help,

Jason
Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 PM

I would put my bet on a bunk inj., but other than a oil change you should be good to go after you R2 that inj.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Well, I am pulling the injectors. I guess nobody else really has any information on these types of symptoms?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM

well a bad turbo could deffinintly cause you to burn oil.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 AM

It seems like I would have better luck getting help with some crazy forbidden title here. . . What good is the help section if no one is willing to help?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 AM
alwaysonDTR

doesn't the smarty have somekind of 3 cy high idle?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
doesn't the smarty have somekind of 3 cy high idle?
it does. but i don't think it would be cold enough now for the 3 cyl idle to kick in.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by CrashCade
It seems like I would have better luck getting help with some crazy forbidden title here. . . What good is the help section if no one is willing to help?
Try posting your question in the 3rd Gen forum. This forum board is really for dire emergencies.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would say pull the outlet hose to the intercooler and check the turbo for any play or any oil and worse case take it off from the exhaust side and check it their for any oil leaks could be a sealm or something leaking
Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the smarty cr does not have the 3 cylinder high idle
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM

Exclamation

Oh Boy,

So I replaced injectors today. I still have the same problem. Rough idle and blue smoke below 1500rpm. Then it clears up and my truck runs fine. I am at a loss here and am really confused.

Thoughts that have run through my mind are:

Valve adjustment?
Valve Springs?
Burnt piston?

I just blew a lot of money on the injectors to find out that was not the problem. Kind of kicking myself for that one. The reason I did that was because it seemed liek my oil levels were rising. Now I am just lost! Would a failing CP3 pump cause this? What has me confused is the fact it clears up with RPM and still runs strong as could be. My truck was in a wreck about 300 miles before this happened, could chaffed wiring cause this? If so what sensors or wiring would I be looking at? ECM possible cause?

I am removing my VA C3.1 tomorrow and returning the PMT back to stock.

Any help at this point would be beyond appreciated. I cannot afford to just throw ideas at it after the injector thing...
Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Do you have access to a scan tool? Can you do injection kill test? Any codes? What tests have you done? example Test for high injector return flow. Did you replace HPC tubes with new injectors did you follow tightening procedure for replacing new injectors? Base engine check, Valve lash compression test, cylinder leak down. Did you do compression test when injectors were out? Remove oil cap do you notice excessive pressure coming out?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

Head gasket?

I would pull the exhaust manifold or turbo and figure out exactly what that boiling fluid is.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 AM

do you tow heavy??? It sounds like you could have a cracked eghaust manifold...I have gone thru 2 on my 04.5 and eveytime It sounds like the engine is missing and running rough but it ends up being the manifold....i was thinking the turbo seal could also be bad but you would not be seeing boiling liquid (oil) at the turbo/manifold flange...basically i have no idea...pull the turbo and tell us what you find.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Do you have access to a scan tool? Can you do injection kill test? Any codes? What tests have you done? example Test for high injector return flow. Did you replace HPC tubes with new injectors did you follow tightening procedure for replacing new injectors? Base engine check, Valve lash compression test, cylinder leak down. Did you do compression test when injectors were out? Remove oil cap do you notice excessive pressure coming out?
I am going to work on programming for the PMT today, so I will have access to the Scan Tool. I will let you know what I find. I do have excess pressure on my oil fill cap! What would that mean?

Also, Thanks For all the ideas guys, basically I think if all the electrical/computer stuff comes back ok then I will be pulling the head and checking things out...

Quick Reply: Extremely Roughg Idle, Smoke, and burnt oil!