3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Entertainment for Those With Injector Probs

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entertainment for Those With Injector Probs

It's a slow week at the office. So sitting here still contemplating my injector-related problem, my mind has strayed to the dark side. Background: Performed injector return flow test. Specs say I should get no more than 180 mL/min. I got 220 mL/min. So let's assume that I am returning too much fuel via the injector return flow path. Not much over the spec, so maybe it's just one injector.............but which one?? I don't have the fittings to cap off one injector at a time. I do, however, have one brand new Bosch injector. OK, here's where it gets weird. Assuming I only have one bad injector. I replace my number one injector with the new one. It either starts or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I assume that #1 injector was good. So now I take the old #1 injector and install it in place of #2. It starts or it doesn't. Continue until it starts.....If it never starts, then so what? Maybe it's more than one. But another injector and repeat the previous scenario.......yada yada yada. Hmmmmmmmm.......I told ya it was slow here at the office.......................- curtis
Old 12-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Are you getting any white smoke on startup? Very often bad injectors will leak down on shutdown and cause this. If so, you can unbolt the exhaust manifold and pull it away from the head - have someone start the vehicle, and see which exhaust port the smoke comes from - there's the bad injector. Quicker than multiple injector swaps by far, if the situation is applicable. Doesn't hurt anything, but brace your ears....
Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 AM

I'd love some white smoke, but alas, there is none.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM

If that's the CRD engine, you may need to inform the ECM of the spec# etched on the injector tag, which allows the ECM to compensate for the electronic and mechanical differences in injectors

Have I previously recommended the Autoenginuity pcware scantool for your laptop pc? It exactly duplicates the DRBIII functions, does all the enhanced parameters and tests, lets you do cylinder balance injector tests, rail pressure tests, etc - check out the DCX enhanced parameter list - all at autoenginuitydotcom