3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

engine brake, brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine brake, brake lights?

Do any of the brake systems out there provide for brake light warning for the trucks behind us. Seams like a serious issue when a equipted truck slows rapidly whith no warning in front of you, had it happen with semis. Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Banned

i know in fire apparatus, the brake lights will come on as soon as the jake is engaged. but on my truck i dont think it does anything. it really throws some people for a loop when they are tailgating me!!!

brett
Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by garr_trenching@
Do any of the brake systems out there provide for brake light warning for the trucks behind us. Seams like a serious issue when a equipted truck slows rapidly whith no warning in front of you, had it happen with semis. Thanks in advance
The Jake "exhaust" brake on these RAMs do not slow the vehicle down rapidly enough to be a problem, while the engine brakes used on semis sometime do. Its a different system (engine vs exhaust brakes) with different performance.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by ColdCase
The Jake "exhaust" brake on these RAMs do not slow the vehicle down rapidly enough to be a problem, while the engine brakes used on semis sometime do. Its a different system (engine vs exhaust brakes) with different performance.

That may be with the Jake, try a Pacbrake PRXB. It slows an empty pickup a whole bunch more efficiently than the Jake.

Btw, the engine brake on a loaded semi doesn't slow it that fast.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
That may be with the Jake, try a Pacbrake PRXB. It slows an empty pickup a whole bunch more efficiently than the Jake.

Btw, the engine brake on a loaded semi doesn't slow it that fast.
I should have just said exhaust type brakes (those that restrict the exhaust) do not slow the vehicle as well as engine brakes (those that change engine valve timing). Engine brakes are used on semis while exhaust brakes on lighter duty vehicles. You may want brake lights if these CTDs came equipped with engine brakes.

Are there any recent comparison test results on jacobs vs pac brake performance, or is this statement antidotal or based on manufacture’s observations at low unspecified RPMs. They both seem to rated at about 170 retarding horsepower at 3250 RPM. There may be differences in delays, features, or durability but once engaged I would think there is little difference in performance unless the valve flaps. I just haven’t seen any independent testing on the Cummins engine, but could have missed it.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM

I have a friend who was also concerned about having brake lights/some kind of braking indication when his exhaust brake was operating. He installed a flasher with a dash switch and a pair of lights on his truck, flips the switch manually. You could pick up the power side of the brake and have it work automatically. The reason he added the separate lights was due to the finicky electrical system of our tail light wiring, he was afraid it would cause the TPIM/computer to go nuts like the trailer wiring can do. This should have been addressed by the brake manufacturers and some kind of automatic electrical harness added to their kits for brake light function. I know of several people who have their brake on all the time while running around in the mountainous community I live in, so the flashing light stuff would create a flashing nuisance, that's why my friend put in the switch.

CD
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I should have just said exhaust type brakes (those that restrict the exhaust) do not slow the vehicle as well as engine brakes (those that change engine valve timing). Engine brakes are used on semis while exhaust brakes on lighter duty vehicles. You may want brake lights if these CTDs came equipped with engine brakes.

Are there any recent comparison test results on jacobs vs pac brake performance, or is this statement antidotal or based on manufacture’s observations at low unspecified RPMs. They both seem to rated at about 170 retarding horsepower at 3250 RPM. There may be differences in delays, features, or durability but once engaged I would think there is little difference in performance unless the valve flaps. I just haven’t seen any independent testing on the Cummins engine, but could have missed it.
Mine is a seat of the pants comparison to driving a buddy's truck equipped with the Jake from the factory. Even he says the PRXB in mine brakes harder.

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2007, 03:56 PM

The braking at the max RPM's is going to be the same regardless of the exhaust brake manufacture. Cummins engine Company gives us strick guidelines that we have to stay within, The only way we can be better then each other is in the lower RPM range, Quality, Service, and the little extras.

As for wiring the brake into the tail/brake lights TJ in our tech department could fax you a diagram if you were to call him.