3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Enabling Cruise-Settable High Idle on NV5600

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:42 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
From everything I have been able to find out, having speed control may be a bonus because the CC's on the autos are different and may not have the correct connections and signal.
With the C&C factory mounted PTO option the hi idle is already enabled and works like a charm with the VGT, For a nice toasty cab in about 10 minutes
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
By installing the grounding pin yourself you have taken the liability monkey of their back.. Politely explain to them you understand the dangers involved with the system.. It is no more of a danger than the cruise control itself.. Besides hi-idle is needed for proper warm-up in colder temps as extended idling creates cylinder wash-down..
No you haven't and no they won't, for the most part. Installing or not installing grounds switches, etc, really has nothing to do with it, anybody can do that. Activating the feature is where the liability lies because its a proprietary function. Two different dealers have told me the same thing. If you can talk them into doing it great, but if they research it its probably not going to happen.

The ISB already has high idle feature that by default is activated in the ECU for cold weather warm up. CC won't activate under 30 mph so its completely different. The clutch switch is there so the driver cannot set the high idle, put the truck in gear, and either leave the vehicle or become incapacitated.

In a lower gear that does not exceed 5 mph the truck would drive thru a house, cars, and about anything else that was in its way and not kill the engine. Dealers have no idea who would do what and corporate is quite aware that it doesn't matter what happens they will be hel responsible for ANY issue that can traced to it. It sucks, but they have a point.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

With the C&C factory mounted PTO option the hi idle is already enabled and works like a charm with the VGT, For a nice toasty cab in about 10 minutes
What year is the question and not a PTO option. Light duty trucks are not built with that option so its not comparitive. CC's after 04 are more tightly integrated into the ECU, the early ones could be different.

EB works as alternative warm up option also.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
With age comes the cage

No you haven't and no they won't,

Yes I have and yes they did..

What year is the question and not a PTO option. Light duty trucks are not built with that option so its not comparitive. CC's after 04 are more tightly integrated into the ECU, the early ones could be different.

EB works as alternative warm up option also.
Read my sig line for the year, the pto option was a factory installed option, pto kits are available for people needing the "PTO" option to an existing C&C and otherwise truck.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM
With age comes the cage

The clutch switch is there so the driver cannot set the high idle, put the truck in gear, and either leave the vehicle or become incapacitated.

In a lower gear that does not exceed 5 mph the truck would drive thru a house, cars, and about anything else that was in its way and not kill the engine. Dealers have no idea who would do what and corporate is quite aware that it doesn't matter what happens they will be hel responsible for ANY issue that can traced to it. It sucks, but they have a point.

The same argument could be used against the cruise control. A truck traveling at 75 MPH would cause more damage than a truck at 5mph should the driver become incapacitated.. What's next a brain monitor attached to the ECM?? What about a cell-phone cut out switch too??
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

By installing the grounding pin yourself you have taken the liability monkey of their back..
No you have not, as I said activation of a proprietary feature is the key point.

Politely explain to them you understand the dangers involved with the system..
Doesn't make a difference legally and as a rule won't carry any weight. Again, 2 dealers sited the legalities that they would not assume. If one did it for you thats great but they are not off the hook for it.

Read my sig line for the year, the pto option was a factory installed option, pto kits are available for people needing the "PTO" option to an existing C&C and otherwise truck.
[/QUOTE]

As I said, C&C's are a different animal as are the older systems. Light duty trucks do not come with a PTO option. You have an 05 C&C, not even the same creature as 03 2500.

Tell me this, can you engage PTO in a C&C and put it in gear with a factory install? If you can it has not been installed correctly.

The same argument could be used against the cruise control.
Drive isn't going to step out of the truck for whatever reason at 75 mph and let it go. Not going to win that argument at any point.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. All of this is interesting and probably to the point re the liability thingy. So can anyone tell me a) I have the cold weather fast idle at below 0*C or 32*F so will grounding pin 22 enble the CCfast idle? or b) just install the Smarty Junior that is going to be installed anyway? I believe our local dealer here in not so litigious Canada will do the ECM update. Third question tha takes care of my American bros/sis's is - is there anyone out there other than a dealer that can do this with the correct OEM compatile software.

Yes! the fast idle is excellent medicine for the cold weather. Keeps the temps up too.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
a) I have the cold weather fast idle at below 0*C or 32*F so will grounding pin 22 enble the CCfast idle? or b) just install the Smarty Junior that is going to be installed anyway? Third question tha takes care of my American bros/sis's is - is there anyone out there other than a dealer that can do this with the correct OEM compatile software.
a) Not unless its activated and truned on in the ECU

b) That might work, might not depending on how the ECU is already configured.

c) Since it is proprietary feature in the ECU its doubtful if the others will allow manipulation of the those types of features.

I have yet to hear of somebody saying such and such tool will allow that manipulation. It might exist though, you will have to do some research.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
OK. All of this is interesting and probably to the point re the liability thingy. So can anyone tell me a) I have the cold weather fast idle at below 0*C or 32*F so will grounding pin 22 enble the CCfast idle? or b) just install the Smarty Junior that is going to be installed anyway? I believe our local dealer here in not so litigious Canada will do the ECM update. Third question tha takes care of my American bros/sis's is - is there anyone out there other than a dealer that can do this with the correct OEM compatile software.

Yes! the fast idle is excellent medicine for the cold weather. Keeps the temps up too.
From what I have gathered by reading, if you have an AUTO truck, installing the Smarty JR software will be all you need for the CC high-idle. For a MANUAL truck, grounding pin 22 is required in addition to the software update. At least that's how I've interpreted what I have read in many threads on this forum..................

-J
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM
With age comes the cage

Just had the 05 enabled (after telling the dealer yes you can on a third gen 5.9), the lack of a clutch cut/out switch was talked about but was not an issue..

Update:

The clutch cut/out switch is not needed.. When the truck detects it is moving (either direction) the truck returns to normal idle speed..