3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Enabling Cruise-Settable High Idle on NV5600

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enabling Cruise-Settable High Idle on NV5600

Okay .... I've got the Cummins pigtail and added 5" to the lead .... I've got the 'B' connector loose but I'm confused as to the location of the #22 pin. Do you count from the front of the connector when it's installed or from the front when you've got it loose and looking at the backside of the connector? See pics ... the paper clip shows the two different positions. Man ...... I'm feeling REAL OLD and right now!
Attached Thumbnails Enabling Cruise-Settable High Idle on NV5600-p5020016.jpg   Enabling Cruise-Settable High Idle on NV5600-p5020018.jpg  
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here you go Mr Bond:

Name:  ECMPlugLayout.jpg
Views: 6172
Size:  50.3 KB

Don't forget the die-electric grease.. I grounded mine inside the firewall next to the trailer brake hookup plug in case I decide to install the clutch c/o switch
Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM

So it's this one .... right? Like I said I'm just not hitting on all 6 today. Well the attachment didn't show up yet but could you just tell me this: When the connector is back on the truck is the pigtail at the front or the rear of the connector?

Last edited by mj007; 05-02-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: No attachment ?????
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
With age comes the cage

Looks like you have the correct pin..

Like the pic shows second from the left middle row(as seen from the back of the plug)...If you have a magnifying glass the numbers are on the back side of the plugs as well..

You might try some Lucas Fuel Conditioner to get the other injectors working..
Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Here you go Mr Bond:

Don't forget the die-electric grease.. I grounded mine inside the firewall next to the trailer brake hookup plug in case I decide to install the clutch c/o switch
Thanks for the reply ..... the Mr. Bond (007, I presume?) is actually the last 3 digits of my home address but thank you for noticing
Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Looks like you have the correct pin..

Like the pic shows second from the left middle row(as seen from the back of the plug)...If you have a magnifying glass the numbers are on the back side of the plugs as well..

You might try some Lucas Fuel Conditioner to get the other injectors working..
Okay then .... I hope and thanks again
Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
With age comes the cage

Yes on the 007..PM sent your way MJ
Old 11-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here you go Mr Bond:

Any pics or tips of how you did this? I would prefer to do it this way if possible.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
With age comes the cage

Here you go..

To the short pigtail I got from Cummins (photo 3) I added about 3' of wire.(all connections soldered and heat shrink-ed), I put that wire along with the Jake Brake control wires in some split wire loom that I wire tied to an existing harnesses.

Name:  PB110007-lr-ins.jpg
Views: 5365
Size:  59.6 KB

Under the clutch pedal is a rubber plug that has a pull handle inside of the engine compartment. I removed it, cut off the pull handle and drilled a hole for the J.B. / H.I. harness to go through.. I re-installed it, threaded the harness then I grounded the Hi Idle wire (Blue). Six month's later I still need to get to the dealer to have it enabled

Name:  PB110005-LR.jpg
Views: 5980
Size:  75.0 KB

Bonus photo, this is the pin / pigtail required to ground pin 22 on the B plug..
The Cummins part # is 3164263, the cost is 12-15 $ from Cummins and twice that from dodge, I removed the crimp splice they had installed to it and soldered on the wire(blue) needed to get it in the cab..

Name:  P2060246.jpg
Views: 4956
Size:  33.9 KB

Last edited by Colo_River_Ram; 11-11-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: brain dead tonight..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks Colo_River_Ram for the pics. I'll have to go look at mine this weekend.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Here's a question... I have an 03 (have to check build date), but have heard that on some early 03s this will just not work. I have a Smarty Jr so the programming is there, just have to get the pin from Cummins. Anyone know how I can tell prior to getting the pin if this will work? I only ask because I'd hate to get the pin, install, have it not work, then sit there scratching my head endlessly as to why it wont work and there being quite simply nothing I can do about it Thanks, sorry for hijack.

-J
Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
With age comes the cage

Have you read this?

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-033-04.htm

This pertains to Dodge programming. I'm not sure on the smarty perhaps an email to them is in order or someone that has done this with a smarty will chime in..
Old 11-14-2010, 01:41 PM

OK so please tell me.
I got a part number from Dodge for my 2007 5.9 manual to install a high idle switch. They quoted me nearly $400 for a plug in switch and wiring with connector. Then they said I need an ECM update installed.
Now you say that we can get something from Cummins to do the same job!!!!!!!??????
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
Now you say that we can get something from Cummins to do the same job!!!!!!!??????
Not quite. You need 3 thrings to make the idle up work.

1. Ground pin #22.

2. Turn the feature on in the ECU.

3. Activate the idle up feature in the ECU.

If you don't do all 3 it won't work. Smarty normally does the last 1 and maybe the first, thats not be clarified. You have to do the first.

Dealerships won't normally do it with selling you the $400 kit and adding the clutch switch. Mostly because the Techs don't know how and have to consult STAR and STAR will tell them they MUST use the clutch switch kit for liability issues. If the SA knows about this they won't allow it to happen with the kit either as its a liability thing.

People with 03's are out of luck unless they want to buy a new ECU, have it programmed, and take the chance it work. The TSB's say its possible all the way back to 98.5 and wreckers on the ford chassis with a ISB have this activated all the time, its driven of the PTO circuit. The problem is in the type of cruise or speed control used. If it does not activate a certain way there is no connection to the ECU to say activate.

From everything I have been able to find out, having speed control may be a bonus because the CC's on the autos are different and may not have the correct connections and signal.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:36 PM
With age comes the cage

Parts from Cummins is normally 1/2 the price they are from Dodge. The clutch cut out switch (cummins # 4089851) is an added safety device that returns your truck to idle RPM's when you engage the clutch, the same thing happens when you touch the brake pedal.

Most dealers will sell you only the clutch cut out kit when they install it for you, This is a safety issue only (they don't want to get sued). By installing the grounding pin yourself you have taken the liability monkey of their back.. Politely explain to them you understand the dangers involved with the system.. It is no more of a danger than the cruise control itself.. Besides hi-idle is needed for proper warm-up in colder temps as extended idling creates cylinder wash-down..

Quick Reply: Enabling Cruise-Settable High Idle on NV5600