3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Electronic Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electronic Wastegate

I have noticed the past month or so, that when I get into the skinny pedal, I can hear the turbo surging, then backing off in a repeated cycle...Hadn't really done it before and I was just wondering if it is the electronic wastegate just limiting the turbo. I took the intake off, checked for any debris, checked the blades on the turbo and even gave it a few spins to inspect for any rubbing and everything is good to go...

Derek
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Did you start noticing this once you put the K&N on!? Do you have gauges to confirm this?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by reb0957
Did you start noticing this once you put the K&N on!? Do you have gauges to confirm this?
Nope...K&N has been on since about 1000 miles after I bought the truck...like I said, NO evidence of any damage or debris, dirt dust or ANYTHING in the turbo and the fan turns without hesitation or rubbing...please, valid responses only.

Derek
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM

derek i wasn't trying to be a butt about your K&N! I just started noticing (read as hearing) a lot more things once I put my AEM on.

I to do notice a lot of wierd up and down boost pressure between 26 & 30 psi on my boost gauge! I have just attributed that nuance as the electronic waste gate working. ( Thank god it does I have the plastic IC)

I am sure someone wiser will chime in though! For the record I put my gauge in Xmas day and noticed the fluctuation immediately. When I installed the AEM around the fifth it just seemed to make the waste gate woking more dranatic being able to see it (boost gauge) & hear it new intake.!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 PM

Ever since I Installed the QuadZilla XZT the surging has went away from the electronic wastegate!! I was wondering the same thing a couple months back and found that this is what it was!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by reb0957
derek i wasn't trying to be a butt about your K&N! I just started noticing (read as hearing) a lot more things once I put my AEM on.

I to do notice a lot of wierd up and down boost pressure between 26 & 30 psi on my boost gauge! I have just attributed that nuance as the electronic waste gate working. ( Thank god it does I have the plastic IC)

I am sure someone wiser will chime in though! For the record I put my gauge in Xmas day and noticed the fluctuation immediately. When I installed the AEM around the fifth it just seemed to make the waste gate woking more dranatic being able to see it (boost gauge) & hear it new intake.!
I apologize...I just thought that you were another one of the K&N bashers or something by the way that the post sounded. I don't think that it was developed from the filter, but I understand what you're saying now...now I can hear things more clearly down there because of the filter replacement. I really never noticed the PSI fluctuation until close to a month ago +/- and no I don't have a boost gauge yet, but I am sure that if I did, I would be seeing it on there as plainly as I can hear it.

For boostjunkie...I really don't want to start bombing my truck just yet (i.e. modules and programmers) even though I know that they have boost fooling benefits and settings where I could stop the boost from ever going over what it should be at WOT, but is there a good reliable aftermarket wastegate that can be had? This electronic wastegate is a real hp robber. Thanks for the replies guys.

Derek