3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Electric cooling fans vs. OEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric cooling fans vs. OEM

Has anyone out there tried the new style electric cooling fans coming out for the heavy duty dodge trucks? They should work fine with no load on the truck but I'm wondering about loaded.. I have an 05 Dodge 3500 with 5.9L Cummings with basic mods. (intake, exhaust, bullet tunner, High Ram air flow elbow. )
Old 09-20-2008, 04:58 PM

The Flex- A -Lite fans will not work with trucks that have a electronically controlled fan clutch (all 3rd gens). You would still have to keep your stock fan as the ecm commands it and monitors its performance. Plus they are rated for less than the mac GCWR of our trucks too.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM

There's a couple of guys on here that use them. They definately aren't for heavy towing. I haven't heard anything spectacular about them. Flex-a-lite has a kit for 3rd gens btw.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
There's a couple of guys on here that use them. They definately aren't for heavy towing. I haven't heard anything spectacular about them. Flex-a-lite has a kit for 3rd gens btw.
Yeah, they have a 3rd gen kit....it just won't work on any 3rd gens though.

Guys on other forums have tried going electric and they said they didn't gain any power or fuel mileage over the stock fan.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:08 PM

i just installed a flexalite fan on my 03. the temps are down at least 50 degrees towing and everyday driving. infact the temp gauge barely comes off the needle. 2mpg gain . no real diff in performance. i installed a set because i needed a fan clutch and it was the same price as dual electric fans. worth every penny and will reccomend them to anybody. they will work fine with the 3rd gens. clean setup. 1000000000% satisfied
Old 09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by judge88
i just installed a flexalite fan on my 03. the temps are down at least 50 degrees towing and everyday driving. infact the temp gauge barely comes off the needle. 2mpg gain . no real diff in performance. i installed a set because i needed a fan clutch and it was the same price as dual electric fans. worth every penny and will reccomend them to anybody. they will work fine with the 3rd gens. clean setup. 1000000000% satisfied
What do you mean temps are down by at least 50*? Are you saying your coolant temps are now 150* instead of 200*?

Odd that you noticed a 10-15% gain in fuel mileage from just a fan. Morse tried an electric fan on his daily driver and said there was no difference in mileage.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 PM

thats exacly what im saying. coolent temps barley move off the needle now. temps here are 75 degrees in the afternoon and around 50 degrees here in the morning night. 2 mpg gain is hand calculated. is there something funny about all this. must be you put a little stupid giggle face behind your post. its funny your judging the fans when you dont even hava a set of them.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Number one, watch the 'tude. He's just asking a question. He's not trying to be a smartmouth. I think the concern here is a 50* drop in temp isn't normal. Normal operating temps are there for a reason. That's the range in which the engine was designed to run. That much cooler could possibly cause problems.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:40 PM

if he was just asking a question he wouldnt put a face behind it like he's mocking me or making fun of what i said. thats why theres a "tude". im just stating the facts of how my truck acts and what temps it runs with the electric fans. thats what the post is about. whether or not the truck is supposed to run at higher temps i dont know.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by judge88
thats exacly what im saying. coolent temps barley move off the needle now. temps here are 75 degrees in the afternoon and around 50 degrees here in the morning night. 2 mpg gain is hand calculated. is there something funny about all this. must be you put a little stupid giggle face behind your post. its funny your judging the fans when you dont even hava a set of them.
If your coolant temps are running 150* WHILE TOWING then you must have no thermostat AND be heading downhill in a snow storm. That or your temp gauge is broken.

I think it is funny because your story just doesn't add up. Anyone knowledgeable about these trucks knows that they get horrible fuel mileage when not up to operating temp. There goes your 2mpg claim. Also, they call it operating temp because that's where the thermostat is designed to keep the temp.

These trucks will sometimes fall below operating temp if the outside temps are very cold and you're heading down a continuous long grade where no throttle is being used (like a 15 minute trip down a canyon road). But when daily driving and towing in 50*+ outside temps you're not going to see below normal coolant temps. It just isn't going to happen man.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Any icons put on a post don't necessarily mean what you think they mean. Never take things personally on a forum because how someone intended something to sound when written may not be interpreted the same way as the person reading it.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! an interjection by a board cop! Come on T-boe....you can at least agree that jrussel is RIGHT!!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:24 PM

i really dont care what u say man. i know what my gauge reads and what my mpg is and thats that.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM

Judge, how does the fan kit get around the ecm looking for fan speed that has been commanded? Not a smart mouth question, I am seriously interested. I would think this would throw a code.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM

it does throw a code. 2 actually. they dont pop a cel there just there if you check.

Quick Reply: Electric cooling fans vs. OEM