3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dual remote bypass install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual remote bypass install

Well, I have been out laying under my truck trying to figure out where to put my dual remote bypass filters from Amsoil. I have already fabbed up a steel bracket that makes use of the threaded holes near the exhaust manifold, but that wont work because it strikes the hood when I close it and I cant shorten the bracket(filter length). Doesnt look like it will fit on the left side of the engine either. My biggest question is how far away from the engine can a sytem like this be mounted? The documentation says as close to the engine as possible. I have included a couple of pics, unfortunately, my electric steps use up most of the usable frame rail unless I mount the filters horizantally. Do you think that would be a good way to mount, if so, the steps would provide some protection when not extended? My preference is to mount them vertically so that I can fill the filters with oil during changes, but to do that they would be located farther from the engine, I cant hang them vertically on the frame near the steps or the will get pinched.
Attached Thumbnails Dual remote bypass install-dscn1133.jpg   Dual remote bypass install-dscn1134.jpg   Dual remote bypass install-dscn1135.jpg   Dual remote bypass install-dscn1136.jpg   Dual remote bypass install-dscn1137.jpg  

Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM

My Install of Dual filter setup

Hi,
I installed one a few years ago on my 2004.
I found a nice spot behind the front bumper that allows the filters to be vertical.
This orientation minimizes spillage and I have excellent access for changing them.

If you remove the right front fender liner you have access to do the work.

I did have to trim a bit of the lower front corner of the liner to clear the filters.

One thing that I had to do was use rubber isolators between the filter mount and the truck chassis to control the noise from the oil pump.

I hope that this helps,

Jim B
Attached Thumbnails Dual remote bypass install-bypass_adapter_block_zoom_out_comp.jpg   Dual remote bypass install-bypass_comp1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.tricountymachine.com/

my pics with the bracket on my truck- my bypass set up is a single filter.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=bmk-11+pics
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Wasn't there some concern with 3rd gens and the dual remote bypass systems? I thought the bmk-11 was the preferred setup?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that was the case- but i heard amsoil was coming out with new "redesigned" bypass systems- i don't know if that solved the issue,etc.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 AM

D-Roc

You are correct about the bypass that I used not being recommended by Amsoil. In my case I really wanted to relocate the filters to a friendlier location, and in 2004 I was not aware of the recommendation advising against using this system.
My installation allowed for very short hoses (20") and straight fittings. When I first started it it sounded like I had a tractor with low hydraulic fluid in it. Then I figured out that the mount was transferring oil pump noise into the chassis. Once I installed the rubber isolators to replace the mounting bolts it completely solved the noise issues. I have not had any cases of codes set or indication of oil flow / pressure issues. In my installation the old mount has worked out fine.

I would not use my apparent success as a recommendation to anyone else to install this older system on a 3rd gen.

Jim B
Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Talking I think we have a winner

Thank you guys for the help. Especially you Jim B. That location you described was perfect! I fab'd up a bracket and now just waiting for the paint to dry. The kit that I am installing is the BMK-25. I will post photos on this thread tomorrow after final installation.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also let everyone know if you lose any oil pressure. Like it was said above the dual by pass has caused low oil pressure on 2004 and newer engines and why Amsoil does not recommend them to be used on 3rd gen engines.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
after warm-up what is your idle oil psi?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Installed

I still have to get some pics onto the computer but the system was installed and had no change in oil pressure. On startup, the pressure climbed above 40 psi, just like before and once warm it idles at about 40psi and during accel. it increases above 40psi. All are just the same as before.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Well, maybe not

Ran into a pressure problem with the bypass oil system. The install was very close to spot the OEM filter was installed. Lines were maybe a foot long with no abnormal bends.

When I would first start the truck after letting it sit overnight, the pressure would build like normal and then 30 secs later, the pressure would completely drop and the "check gauges" light would come on with the associated beep. I would immediately shut the truck off before the gauge had a chance to fall to low. Wait a couple seconds and start it again with no pressure problems at all. Next day, same scenario. When I took the system off of the truck there was no oil in the lines at all. I didnt like that much so the system is removed from the truck. Maybe I will try another kit later.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM

IIRC Amsoil has stated not to use the set up you have on 2004 and newer engines as for some reason low oil pressure problems show up. The BMK 21 by pass works well on the 2004 and newer engines and with out any low oil pressure problems.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by hardtarget870
I still have to get some pics onto the computer but the system was installed and had no change in oil pressure. On startup, the pressure climbed above 40 psi, just like before and once warm it idles at about 40psi and during accel. it increases above 40psi. All are just the same as before.
Were you seriously reading the pressure from your stock gauge and not an aftermarket?